Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, I don't think that Netronix will continue to distribute its rather awkward generic firmware. At least I hope so. Maybe the owners of the Netronix hardware with generic software (Cool-er, Elonex) might one good day be able to use PB's software on their readers.
JINX!!! You owe me a coke!!!...we were writting at the same time!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
I've been reading on my PB360 since Xmas and love it. Compact size, ease of use, ultra-fast page turning, and an incredibly good FBReader implementation make it a dream to use.

I prefer FB2 format for most books, and frankly despise ePub, but this little baby actually makes ePub seem almost OK. Add to that the ability to open non-DRM ePubs in FBReader and you have almost all of the advantages of reading FB2, with perhaps a little worse formatting.

Mergers tend to mean compromise to some degree, especially when the companies are offering similar product classes. I would hate to see the excellent PB devices get dragged back down to another level. And I certainly hope the firmware development keeps a significant East Euro (Russian/Ukrainian) group in place, as these guys seems to know how to make good user firmware (first and foremost they support FB2 development, and they seem to do a better job with the rest of the formats as well - the LBook firmware was usually superior on the Hanlin V3 clones).

Here's hoping the commercial benefits don't kill off the great devices PB currently have out there - I'm glad I got my PB360 before this happened! Of course, I am always hopeful of a pleasant surprise...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Just compare the original Netronix design and the Opus to the PB360 changes from the Pocketbook guys and its clear those boys had more than software in mind.
What design is for you the "original netronix design" ? If you think about the first design that PB show, it's a Bookeen's property (ie an older design of the Opus) and the PB360 miss at least 2 buttons
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
What design is for you the "original netronix design" ? If you think about the first design that PB show, it's a Bookeen's property (ie an older design of the Opus) and the PB360 miss at least 2 buttons
I thought this issue had long been clarified, the first Design Pocketbook 360 ° Design is not Bookeen, as is the Design buyout Pocketbook developed in conjunction with Netronix, buyout was proposed by Netronix for Bookeen, with what Bookeen has made in his proposed Design your changes, does not make its original design Bookeen. As with the Design for any of the above-described difficulties, how Pocketbook and Bookeen made their Design.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

No your are wrong, and I even have some sort of proof about this. Sorry, but the design that was show in june was paid by Bookeen.

Bookeen paid for the current Opus design, and for the older one that You pocketbook showed, not Netronix. They were even drawn by some peoples inside Bookeen
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
This one.
http://hardgeek.org/2009/03/pocket-360/

Whatever the source, the shipping PB360 is clearly cleaner with superior ergonomics. Now if only the wing buttons weren't quite that stiff...

As for the extra buttons, that is one of the virtues of the PB360; too many buttons can be as bad as too few, maybe worse. With the Pocketbook menuing system everything is readily available from the rocker ring + floating center button.

The UI/menu system (to say nothing of the modular/transparent system software) is easily one of the best in this infant business. Its very early in the game but the basic software architecture of the PB line is a very good starting place for the new merged company; no need to reinvent the wheel for every single new model. As long as the maintain support for the existing hardware as they move forward everybody wins...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Hey, calm down you two !

As far as style is concerned, my preferance goes to the opus. I totally flashed on it. Well, i haven't seen PB360 with my own eyes, but it seams to have been made bigger than needed.

Save for the 302, I never was a fan of pocketbook's design.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-08-2010 at 08:16 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #23
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Quote:
No your are wrong, and I even have some sort of proof about this. Sorry, but the design that was show in june was paid by Bookeen.

Bookeen paid for the current Opus design, and for the older one that You pocketbook showed, not Netronix. They were even drawn by some peoples inside Bookeen
Well, I'll say more openly. At that time Netronix took the money as a Bookeen and a Pocketbook, but the Design was developed initially just Pocketbook. I do know this, for the simple reason that Design was developed in conjunction with the forum the-ebook.org, I had not yet worked on Pocketbook, but including my suggestions were used. The fact that Netronix in that allocated the Design as well and Bookeen was a mistake Netronix. So you are saying Evidence of what you paid for this Design, but you did not do ...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I've been reading on my PB360 since Xmas and love it. Compact size, ease of use, ultra-fast page turning, and an incredibly good FBReader implementation make it a dream to use.

I prefer FB2 format for most books, and frankly despise ePub, but this little baby actually makes ePub seem almost OK. Add to that the ability to open non-DRM ePubs in FBReader and you have almost all of the advantages of reading FB2, with perhaps a little worse formatting.

Mergers tend to mean compromise to some degree, especially when the companies are offering similar product classes. I would hate to see the excellent PB devices get dragged back down to another level. And I certainly hope the firmware development keeps a significant East Euro (Russian/Ukrainian) group in place, as these guys seems to know how to make good user firmware (first and foremost they support FB2 development, and they seem to do a better job with the rest of the formats as well - the LBook firmware was usually superior on the Hanlin V3 clones).

Here's hoping the commercial benefits don't kill off the great devices PB currently have out there - I'm glad I got my PB360 before this happened! Of course, I am always hopeful of a pleasant surprise...
I know this won't seem like much from a person not involved with either company in any way, but I tell you now that the Pocketbook brand will only get stronger and better from this...remember who's name is on the logo in big letters...it is they who are the major player here anyone can assemble hardware, the magic is in the software and how it gets the most out of the hardware. It's not like the development is suddenly going to be farmed out to some hack company in India (I have never come across a company that did not end up spending 10x what doing the coding in house would have cost to begin with, just to fix everything busted in the software they off-shored to India software companies.) Those "Wacky Guys in Kiev" are something special in developers...getting every bit of "oomph" out of the hardware they can.

It is the brand-x devices who have shown no ability to build software for the hardware provided or order just 500 pcs. world wide every other month that will go away/elsewhere or be folded into other brands. For example Astak and Bebook could combine (just pulling names out of thin air here as examples only) to form something that is less dysfunctional than they are separately and come out on the other side stronger and far more able to compete in the market place. And they will have access, for a price, to the expertise of Pocketbooks developers and designers along side Netronix hardware magic. Just no more low end components or firmware except from those brands nobody wants anything to do with who will be pushed off to some small factory who is willing to handle lesser clients using whatever cheap hardware is left from the big factory and sold just to make room for new better components. Again this happens all the time...really, it will be a HUGE & GREAT thing for Pocketbook users. It sure as heck is not stopping me from buying mine soon as possible. And I have my eyeball open to see the large format device they are bound to come out with, you know the one we saw only a glimpse of in passing during his original Pocketbook video last year?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #25
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Please Godzil and Forkosigan, let's take this easy!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Please Godzil and Forkosigan, let's take this easy!
Ok, Sorry.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It sure as heck is not stopping me from buying mine soon as possible. And I have my eyeball open to see the large format device they are bound to come out with, you know the one we saw only a glimpse of in passing during his original Pocketbook video last year?
Well, 360 ? place for a 5" is already taken. 901 ? I don't really like the style, and more importantly, it lack a keyboard or touchscreen that would allow note typing.
902 i'm curious about though.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
Forkosigan
Wizard

A small addition, and an apology from my side. Read again the old theme of the-ebook.org, "old" Design 360 was developed jointly Pocketbook and forum the-ebook.org, as well as from Bookeen. results of proposals from both sides and entered at the Design, buyout known as "Old Design 360." On this or any Pocketbook Bookeen it and not used. because it was not clear until the end, who has the rights to it. It was a big mistake Netronix, they concluded, and since then by the Pocketbook, and I think, and with The sides Bookeen them have no complaints.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
A small addition, and an apology from my side. Read again the old theme of the-ebook.org, "old" Design 360 was developed jointly Pocketbook and forum the-ebook.org, as well as from Bookeen. results of proposals from both sides and entered at the Design, buyout known as "Old Design 360." On this or any Pocketbook Bookeen it and not used. because it was not clear until the end, who has the rights to it. It was a big mistake Netronix, they concluded, and since then by the Pocketbook, and I think, and with The sides Bookeen them have no complaints.
That is exactly as I remember it being explained here when it all happened...both companies did the right thing and simply made a very reasonable compromise, one that made complete sense and in the end, worked out extremely well for both companies....thanks for the clarification as I was just getting ready to hunt for the details.

Time to move forward? Yes? Noooow, about those large format readers....we are WAITING!!! VERY PATIENTLY I MIGHT ADD...oh, was I shouting? hehehehe...I never noticed....whoopsie!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #30
Godzil

[snip]

Tags
netronix, pocketbook