Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
How is highlighting and note-taking working out for you?

I've been having a bit of trouble highlighting and taking notes on my Nook. How are those functions working for everyone else?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
jwjody
jwjody began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I spent days trying to figure out how to use it. I did a reboot on accident and the next time I tried to highlight/note the feature worked. But I don't think it's intuitive at all.
jwjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I don't generally take notes but I did try it to see how it worked. I did not have any problems doing so.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My highlights don't show up (and I do have "Show highlights" marked) unless I add a note. And I can never find my notes. I've been highlighting and taking notes on my K2 since day one, and I can find both easily in the "My Clippings" file. Is there anything comparable for Nook?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody View Post
I spent days trying to figure out how to use it. I did a reboot on accident and the next time I tried to highlight/note the feature worked. But I don't think it's intuitive at all.
Did you do a "Reset to factory settings" or simply turn the Nook off? I turned mine completely off, left it that way for about a half-hour, and turned it back on. The notes and highlights are still screwy. The only thing I accomplished was to lose my place in the book I was reading. And since there was no chapters option for that book, to get back to where I left off, I had to turn one time-consuming page after another.

I'm hesitant to do a "Reset to factory settings," as I fear I'll lose my update to Ver. 1.1.1 as well as all my books.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I don't generally take notes but I did try it to see how it worked. I did not have any problems doing so.
Can you now read those notes you made?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
jwjody
jwjody began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I think to read the notes, you have to choose Edit Notes rather than view notes.
jwjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody View Post
I think to read the notes, you have to choose Edit Notes rather than view notes.
That doesn't work for me either. Maybe I got a bum Nook.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That doesn't work for me either. Maybe I got a bum Nook.
Not just you. I made a note before, never did try and find it later though. Just tried, cannot find the notes. Checked the B&N help board and its a known issue and will be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Not just you. I made a note before, never did try and find it later though. Just tried, cannot find the notes. Checked the B&N help board and its a known issue and will be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Thanks. I hope that before this time next year the issues will be resolved. All the problems I've experienced seem to be related to the firmware. I don't know of any major problems with the device itself, and that give me hope. Firmware is a fixable issue.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
Highlighting Doesn't Work, Is this a Known Problem?

I found this thread on my problem, but seemed all replies were before the 1.2 came out. I just got my nook 2/14 and it was already on 1.2, but I've never been able to get the highlighting and note taking to work.

I go through the steps of adding a highlight, and I see the text shaded while I am adding the highlight or note, but once I submit it (i even type a test note), the text doesn't show as highlighted. And I do have show highlight selected.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know of a fix?

Thanks!
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
It is a bug. You can find your notes in a ebub but not in a pdb file. If you take notes in a pdb file it goes back to the main menu. If you take a highlight or note in an epub book, it goes to the next menu and you can choose from your take highlights out of a list.

That is at least, what I recognized. I hope it will be solved with the next update.

If you take a note or a highlight, simply create a bookmark for this site too. That way you have at least a chance to find your note again That is at least my workaround at the moment.

Last edited by mos; 03-03-2010 at 02:34 AM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I never use it, not much of a note taker...just enjoy reading.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
Thanks for the tips Mos. I am really underwhelmed with the interface and the bugs I've found with highlighting, etc. But I have faith that being on the Android OS, fixes/enhancements will be coming.
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote