Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Forum section for new Sony Reader devices

We've been long contemplating how to restructure our forum hierarchy to participate the new and upcoming Sony Reader devices (PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-2121). We have considered various options, including separating by device category (pocket edition versus touch edition) and separating by device name (PRS-300 versus PRS-600). Another third option is to put all Readers together in one Sony Reader category and avoid having too many forum sections at the end.

We understand that there is no "perfect" solution which would please everyone. For now we believe that too many sections can get unwieldy very quickly, in particular when updated/newer devices hit the street. Also, it can be argued that many Reader discussions apply to more than one model. So the option of having a single forum discussing all Reader models seems the most adequate to us. In addition we favor the possibility of tagging threads with a prefix to indicate the device model.

So here is what we have done. We converted the Sony PRS-700 forum into a new forum we simply call Sony Portable Reader (New Forum). We haven't considered moving the older 500/505 threads into that forum because first want to observe how well a combined forum section could work.

Which leaves us to the existing Sony Reader subsections in the 500/505 parent forum - namely "Content", "Accessories", "Troubleshooting", and "Dev Corner". Here too it can be argued that at least for the first three section, it doesn't make sense to separate discussions from the parent Reader forum. In regard to the Dev Corner we are considering the option to moving it out of the Reader forum and creating a new "Developer's Zone" parent forum. This would be done in another step though.

Comments are always welcomed.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous

I think I like it. Actually I'd like to see all the reader models in one forum, with the exception of the 500 which is "legacy".

My only suggestion, FWIW, would be to move the Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the new section, since I'm guessing the new forum is where most of the action will be.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 09-02-2009 at 06:47 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post

I think I like it. Actually I'd like to see all the reader models in one forum, with the exception of the 500 which is "legacy".

My only suggestion, FWIW, would be to move the Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the new section, since I'm guessing the new forum is where most of the action will be.
I'd prefer to not think of my 500 as "legacy" - "vintage" or "mature" is more like it
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Technically speaking 505/700 are also legacy devices now.

For the existing 500/505 forum, why not make them a sub-forum of the new one while you decide what to do with them.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Technically speaking 505/700 are also legacy devices now.

For the existing 500/505 forum, why not make them a sub-forum of the new one while you decide what to do with them.
Actually, the 505 is still offered fro sale in France and Germany.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I would had thought Touch devices and non touch devices should be separate
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I don't agree with the new way, the PRS300 is mainly a PRS505, it should be with the 500/505 not with the 600/700
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
I like the idea of a Sony Forum with sub-forums for non-toucscreen and touchscreen (itself with a sub-forum for Daily Edition). What can I say...I love sub-forums!
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I too like the touch and non-touch concept. I don't think the Daily Reader should have a separate sub-forum like the Kindle DX does not have a separate sub-forum (sorry Zero9 ).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
sononkyo
sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS300S, PRS505S (ret.) PRS 500 (ret.)
what's so hard, just separate by current release with subforums touchscreen and non-touch screen

move everything not current year model as legacy
sononkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sononkyo View Post
what's so hard, just separate by current release with subforums touchscreen and non-touch screen

I agree 100%
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down Easy way instead of the right way IMHO

Seems like you basically took the easy way out. Why not give each device its own subforum. Anything else is just darn confusing and makes us read through a large list of threads for which we have no interest. If I want to locate pertinent threads on my PRS-600, I don't want to read a huge list containing thread topics for several devices, especially since a lot of folks won't mention the device name in the thread title. I see lots of wasted time and frustration on my part.

EDIT: Ok I stand corrected as you have included a drop list to indicate to which specific device the posting is related. Much better. It will still be a crowded forum as far as threads go.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sononkyo View Post

I like the sound of that.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I second separating the reader by touch and non-touch forums.

The non-touch devices have very similar interfaces, while touch devices have many things in common too.

I think keeping an Accessory, Dev Corner, and troubleshooting forum common to all Sony Reader would make sense too.

The forum front page would surely look much more tidy with just one forums per brand, but so many of us have Sony Readers and Sony now have so many devices in the wild that only one forum would be really confusing.

One also have to keep in mind that the Sony readers forums alone represent almost as much forum posts as all the others brands and devices combined (5466 Sony Posts compared to 6408 Posts for all the other E-Book Devices as of today).
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Why not do it right and give each device its own subforum. Anything else is just darn confusing and makes us read through a large list of threads for which we have no interest.
Are you saying that every thread about the Sony only pertains to a single device? I very much doubt that is true. So, there may be a discussion in the 505 thread that is perfectly valid to 300 and 700 owners... but, if they only read threads in the 300 section they would miss something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If I want to locate pertinent threads on my PRS-600, I don't want to read a huge list containing thread topics for several devices, especially since a lot of folks won't mention the device name in the tread title. I see lots of wasted time and frustration on my part.
This is exactly why thread prefixes will be set up. So you can quickly see if someone has tagged the thread as pertaining to a certain devices. Threads with no tag will most likely to all of the Sony devices. If the user neglected to pre-fix the thread and you feel it is device specific report the post/thread and request that we add a certain prefix to it.

A lot of thought and discussion went into this.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-02-2009 at 11:12 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote