Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I've been surprised to find that on a couple of other forums, readers are enjoying Scidb subscriptions. I have been resistant to trying it because of the app, but people that are trying it seem to like the selection and don't mind the app. I may have to give in and do some browsing.
This is the time to try it. 90 days free is an amazing offer. You cant go wrong. It real easy to sign up for it from the link posted.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #47
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I found several books from my wishlist, so I've decided to try. The only problem so far is that there are problems with reflow on my tablet-it eats the last paragraph. I'm unsure if it's app or the book.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I found several books from my wishlist, so I've decided to try. The only problem so far is that there are problems with reflow on my tablet-it eats the last paragraph. I'm unsure if it's app or the book.
Others on Play have mentioned that problem. It must be device related. No problems on my Nexus or Kindle Fire.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Attachment 121873

This is what it looks like on my Nexus 7. I wouldn't mind the line spacing being a little smaller but once I start reading I really don't notice.
You didn't find a way to justify did you? The book I am reading is only left justified and I don't see how to fix it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You didn't find a way to justify did you? The book I am reading is only left justified and I don't see how to fix it.
Nope. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I think we should send in feedback to the app developer asking for a few tweaks. Right now it's pretty bare bones but I like it better than Overdrive I use to read my library books on.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would love more fonts, though the sans serif on sepia is not bad. I've been reading a book in the app. Still prefer Moon, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would love more fonts, though the sans serif on sepia is not bad. I've been reading a book in the app. Still prefer Moon, though.
Same here but I am enjoying my book very much. I love the font though I must find out it's name.

After alot of searching the sans-serif font is Scala Sans. I knew it looked familiar!

Last edited by Blossom; 04-21-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #53
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
This is the time to try it. 90 days free is an amazing offer. You cant go wrong. It real easy to sign up for it from the link posted.
Thanks. I actually have a year subscription because my books are on Smashwords and I agreed to upload a few of them. I went ahead and signed up for my sub. I haven't done any browsing yet. I honestly wasn't going to look at it because it didn't sound like my thing, so thanks for the advice and thread on the topic. As I said, I'm seeing a few forums talking about it and Inkbok (another service, same type of thing) and they're pretty happy with what they are seeing.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #54
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Nope. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I think we should send in feedback to the app developer asking for a few tweaks. Right now it's pretty bare bones but I like it better than Overdrive I use to read my library books on.
I tried the overdrive app ONCE. Boy, I hated it. I didn't even finish the book (although the book was pretty boring.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #55
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I regularly use the overdrive app on my iPad and generally, am very satisfied with it. It has a selection of fonts that i can size to meet my needs as well as choices for line spacing, margins, columns, and justification. IMO, after quickly looking over the Scribd app, the overdrive app is much better. I will use the three month free trial from scribd, but my three overdrive libraries seem to be a better fit for me.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #56
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I tried the overdrive app ONCE. Boy, I hated it. I didn't even finish the book (although the book was pretty boring.)
Have you tried it recently? It used to be pretty bad, but it has improved. As Mims said, there are a lot of settings now and you can even have it sync to other devices.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Have you tried it recently? It used to be pretty bad, but it has improved. As Mims said, there are a lot of settings now and you can even have it sync to other devices.
My problems with it is the font and colors they are horrible choices to read with and the margins are too small. The app doesn't override publisher's styles well at all.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #58
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Everybody's eyes and brains are tweaked a little differently but the color choices in omc would suit a lot of people -- back text on white, white text on black, and black text on sepia.
The font choices are Courier, Helvetica, Georgia, Times New Roman, Verdana and Palatino as well as their bold versions. I also like that i can easily read with nice sized columns in landscape which is a feature missing in scribd.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Everybody's eyes and brains are tweaked a little differently but the color choices in omc would suit a lot of people -- back text on white, white text on black, and black text on sepia.
The font choices are Courier, Helvetica, Georgia, Times New Roman, Verdana and Palatino as well as their bold versions. I also like that i can easily read with nice sized columns in landscape which is a feature missing in scribd.
My version has none of those fonts. I have two choices only serif and sans serif. The sepia is too orange and the text is not black. It sounds like the non android app is very nice!

Last edited by Blossom; 04-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #60
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
The browsing is what eats the battery because its a pulling high quality book covers. Reading a book doesn't do much draining on my tablets. You do need a 7" tablet. I recommend the Nexus 7 over any Kindle Fire. No lag problems here. I wonder if they didn't optimize the app for a bigger tablet...
I have been doing all my browsing and adding to the library on my computer. So all I am doing is opening the app and it goes to the book I am reading. Battery is just going down a lot faster than it normally does on my Fire.

I wish I had the budget right now for a 7 inch tablet, that nexus looks really nice, but I need those $200 to buy a phone I desperately need. Once I make my mind up that is. If I didn't need that phone, I think I would get the Nexus from Amazon. I assume the one they have for 200 and calling it 2013 is the newest one.

The other thing that is weird on the kindle app on the larger kindle is that it cuts off the menu lines on the top left. I couldn't even find it for the longest time because of that. I get only maybe half of the lines and have to touch all the way to the edge. Now that I know where it it is, its ok, but it drove me nuts for a while.
Since it doesn't have columns, I find it best to hold my fire like a hard cover book, upright. I took it out of the cover to make it a little lighter and its better.
I found the new Kristen Ashley on it and I am reading that along with a Edith Layton not available at my library. So I do like the selection and if I can read about at least 2-3 books a month, it would be worth it. A better tablet and smaller though would be necessary for me in long term though. My arms are hurting from holding the Fire. Its also not as gently on my eyes as e-ink.

But again, 3 months is very nice and generous to really see if its useful for each individual. So one can get some kind of average of reads per month.

I was going to add Blossom that I am surprised I like the san serif a lot on this app. I never read san serif fonts, but this one is kind of nice. I don't know if you have the same on your tablet though. You said you liked it so I switched and its more readable than the serif for some reason.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote