Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Incoming: 8in Win8 Pro Tablets

From ZDNET, details on the incoming ACER Iconia W3-810:
http://www.zdnet.com/details-of-acer...e539&ttag=e539

(Gotta love how that name rolls off the tongue.)

Quote:
If the specs in the Amazon listing are accurate, this device will have a 1280x800 touchscreen at 8.1 inches That horizontal resolution is below the minimum 1366 pixels previously required for a Windows 8 device. It’s the same resolution and roughly the same size as Google’s Nexus 7 and Amazon’s Kindle Fire. The aspect ratio is less elongated than the current crop of 16:9 Windows 8 tablets and is noticeably more appropriate for applications such as reader programs, which work best in portrait mode.

According to the Amazon Product Information sheet, the device will weigh 1.1 pounds (significantly less than the 1.5-pound weight of the current iPad but more than the 0.68 pounds of the iPad Mini). The claimed average battery life is 8 hours.

Those earlier photos show optional covers and a keyboard dock for the device
Quote:
...a handful of GeekBench results saved at Primate Labs’ website show that the device contains an Intel Atom Z2760. That’s the same CPU found in several currently available 10-inch Windows 8 tablets, including HP’s Envy X2, Dell’s Latitude 10, and Acer’s 10-inch W510.
Oh yeah: Full windows capability, $379.

Interesting...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
The big advantage to full Windows vs RT is the ability to run legacy apps. But running legacy apps on a screen that size won't be a pleasant experience.

I'm sure there's a market for this thing, but I don't think it's very big. The only thing it has going for it in my opinion is a low price for full Windows. It's overpriced compared to all other tablets in that size range. Sure it does more, but in that size I don't think that's a big deal.

Last edited by pl001; 05-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a start and that's good for me. I want a Windows 8 tablet that I can run a few old applications on. It's definitely going to depend on the kind of legacy apps one needs to run. For me, it might be useable and it's certainly hitting a price area at less than $400. If I'm using it to whack together some PowerPoint presentations and potentially Lego Designer I think it might work for me. Although I think I'd really want the higher resolution for actually giving the presentations.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The big advantage to full Windows vs RT is the ability to run legacy apps. But running legacy apps on a screen that size won't be a pleasant experience.
I can't imagine running Office on anything smaller than my 11.6" Samsung ATIV Smart PC, but it might be handy as a front end for an external monitor or HDMI big screen TV.

That being said, the price is right for a full fledged Windows device.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Never run Word 5 on an original-style Mac?

The problem is that software has expanded to demand larger and larger screens, instead of more efficient use of existing space.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I dunno.
At work we had Toshiba Librettos (5in) for the road warrior powerpoint rangers.
Then we moved to the very First (purple) Sony Vaios.
For that matter, the earliest suitcase portable PCs ran 5in-9in CRT screens.
Corporate types are flexible folks, when it comes to PCs. :-)

The old Windows desktop may be suboptimal for smaller screens but the apps themselves are perfectly usable. Don't forget, Windows has adjustable screen metrics. Setting the screen metrics to 150 dpi should render pretty much every legacy app perfectly usable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
but it might be handy as a front end for an external monitor or HDMI big screen TV.

That being said, the price is right for a full fledged Windows device.
This is what has got me interested. If I can connect my monitor and keyboard, it will will replace my laptop.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I dunno.
At work we had Toshiba Librettos (5in) for the road warrior powerpoint rangers.
Then we moved to the very First (purple) Sony Vaios.
For that matter, the earliest suitcase portable PCs ran 5in-9in CRT screens.
Corporate types are flexible folks, when it comes to PCs. :-)

The old Windows desktop may be suboptimal for smaller screens but the apps themselves are perfectly usable. Don't forget, Windows has adjustable screen metrics. Setting the screen metrics to 150 dpi should render pretty much every legacy app perfectly usable.
It's not just a smaller screen. The primary interface is touch, and like teh603 mentions, most applications today are designed for larger screens.

I run Polaris Office on my 4.25" phone. While it is usable in a pinch, it is difficult and annoying. Overall a poor substitute for a larger device for that kind of work.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 8" form factor and the fact that we are getting more choices. I just don't see much of a market for a $380 8" tablet regardless of capability. Most people don't want to use something that small for legacy Windows apps.

Being an RT owner I may have a different perspective. I have found I don't have much use for legacy apps on a tablet and I don't miss them. A good web browser, Office, and Remote Desktop are all I really need in a mobile device. When I bought it I didn't figure it could replace my personal laptop, but it has. If it only had more robust security and Outlook it would replace my work laptop as well. With RT a device this size and quality would be much cheaper making it appealing to a much broader market.

Last edited by pl001; 05-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
This is what has got me interested. If I can connect my monitor and keyboard, it will will replace my laptop.
Good thinking.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
and Outlook
soon http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/w...ing-outlook-rt
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
legacy. Microsoft monopoly on desktop devices has always been about that: running legacy apps from the era when IBM essentially gave them the market. They wish to perpetrate that into mobile space as well.

unfortunately for them, Angry Birds and the likes are not such legacy apps

another big niche for Microsoft has always been games too and again it's a no-no: all those heavy gear games from the PC do not translate nicely at all to the small screen and touch interface

the king is naked and is trying to stay afloat in a rapidly changing market: no one needs behemoth desktops anymore for most tasks when a smartphone or tablet is readily available and incredibly more convenient... next big thing is take away the need for any keyboard at all, even virtual, by better voice recognition software and hardware able to cope with it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
From ZDNET, details on the incoming ACER Iconia W3-810:
http://www.zdnet.com/details-of-acer...e539&ttag=e539

(Gotta love how that name rolls off the tongue.)

Oh yeah: Full windows capability, $379.

Interesting...
Sounds too good to be true.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Sounds too good to be true.
That is what I thought. But it would be a killer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #14
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I have a question on windows tablets. Do the OEM add their own skins on top of windows 8? I am pretty sure they are not allowed by microsoft but havent seen one in action yet.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
which Office is used?

Last edited by forsooth; 05-08-2013 at 04:33 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote