Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Template Error in Calibre Files unreadable after conversion

Hi' I have a major problem here. Firstly every file I try and convert shows "Template Error"sign just above the "Converting Widget" in the Calibre GUI (see attach 1)

If I try and convert any file like Mobi to remove double spaces before Paragraphs etc it comes out unreadable" just a scrambled "Blob" of Ink (see attach 2). Even in default mode the conversion of this book fails I have put it on my Kindle without trying convert or to remove the double and triple spaces between Paragraphs and nothing selected in "Look and feel" or any other place. and it works fine except for the huge spaces between Paragraphs! I do have all of my margins set at 2.0 pt and top of page at 3.0 pt. Can some one help please cheers Dasha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreTemplate Error.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	89966   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackHawkConvertedScrambled.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	89967  
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
Hi' I have a major problem here. Firstly every file I try and convert shows "Template Error"sign just above the "Converting Widget" in the Calibre GUI (see attach 1)

If I try and convert any file like Mobi to remove double spaces before Paragraphs etc it comes out unreadable" just a scrambled "Blob" of Ink (see attach 2). Even in default mode the conversion of this book fails I have put it on my Kindle without trying convert or to remove the double and triple spaces between Paragraphs and nothing selected in "Look and feel" or any other place. and it works fine except for the huge spaces between Paragraphs! I do have all of my margins set at 2.0 pt and top of page at 3.0 pt. Can some one help please cheers Dasha
Setting a "line Height" to a number under '1' will overlap lines.
That looks to be a severe case
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Dasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Setting a "line Height" to a number under '1' will overlap lines.
That looks to be a severe case
Thanks theducks" Okay I have adjusted that Line height

Can you please tell me what "Template Error" message is on the right side of the Calibre GUI (see Attachment 1) its allways there??)

Last edited by Dasha; 07-31-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks theducks" Okay I have adjusted that Line height

Can you please tell me what "Template Error" message is on the right side of the Calibre GUI (see Attachment 1) its allways there??)
Wierd

Have you run the Library Maintenance? You may have DB corruption
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Dasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wierd

Have you run the Library Maintenance? You may have DB corruption
Sorry theducks’ I cannot find the “Library Maintenance” from Add Books? When I click the little Arrow next to “Add Books” instead of a Drop-down menu I get a Menu that appears to be a “maximized” Page and take’s up the whole screen it has the usual options for adding books from this menu? There are no buttons and nothing about Library Maintenance! the only way I can close it is by clicking on a Capital “A” that is where the Restore, Maximise, and Open and Close buttons should be in the top right corner Cheers Dasha
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It means you have a custom column with an invalid template.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Dasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Geese thanks David! O' man of few words that you are' at least you know what it is that's wrong here! And now thanks to your overwhelming beneficial attitude, so do I!

Would you care to expand a little" and spread a little more of your warmth and good tidings for mere fool's such as I by detailing the follies of of my stupidity regarding how I set about correcting this horrendous abuse that I have made of your wonderful program? For which you have my undying gratitude of course. Cheers David and thanks Mate Dasha
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Geese thanks David! O' man of few words that you are' at least you know what it is that's wrong here! And now thanks to your overwhelming beneficial attitude, so do I!
FYI, his name is Kovid, maybe auto-correct got hold of your post.

Quote:
Would you care to expand a little" and spread a little more of your warmth and good tidings for mere fool's such as I by detailing the follies of of my stupidity regarding how I set about correcting this horrendous abuse that I have made of your wonderful program? For which you have my undying gratitude of course. Cheers David and thanks Mate Dasha
Snarky much?

Judging from your attached image, you created a custom column with the title Formats. That would be the column where your invalid template is located. The name directly next to the Template Error is a clue (see attached I circled it in red so you won't miss it.) The template for the custom column called Formats, by default creation, looks like the attached (again circled in red for your convenience.) I'm guessing your template is messed up. Either fix the template or go to Preferences - Add your own columns and delete the custom column (see attached).

Alternatively if you don't want to deal with the complication of fixing the template or deleting the custom column you can go to Preferences - Look and Feel - Book Details tab and uncheck the second Formats you find in the list (see attached, labeled and circled in red to remove all doubt.)

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreTemplate Error.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	90002   Click image for larger version

Name:	formats.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	90010   Click image for larger version

Name:	customcolumns.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	90011   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookdetails.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	90012  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-01-2012 at 03:51 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Dasha: That's the last time you'll get help from me.

It must take a particularly screwed up kind of human being to be rude to someone they are asking help from.

Where screwed up = self centered, ineffective and just plain 'ol stupid.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Dasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
@Dasha: That's the last time you'll get help from me.

It must take a particularly screwed up kind of human being to be rude to someone they are asking help from.

Where screwed up = self centered, ineffective and just plain 'ol stupid.
Eh where was the help"you never offered any? You jumped in to a forum where someone was already trying to give me assistance" then all you were really doing was talking down to someone you don't even know" and now you are writing personal insults and name calling, displaying exactly what you really are You didn't offer any help and you were never asked for it! The people above you were helping me" you were just being a snide, bombastic, little computer "Hermit" Thanks for the kind personnel remarks you wrote that only go to highlight what I was saying above
Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Eh where was the help"you never offered any? You jumped in to a forum where someone was already trying to give me assistance" then all you were really doing was talking down to someone you don't even know" and now you are writing personal insults and name calling, displaying exactly what you really are You didn't offer any help and you were never asked for it! The people above you were helping me" you were just being a snide, bombastic, little computer "Hermit" Thanks for the kind personnel remarks you wrote that only go to highlight what I was saying above
er...

1. he told you what was causing the template error message - wasn't that what you wanted - others have told you in great detail how to fix it - I've not seen you post any thanks for that.
PS you do know that the the snide, bombasitc, little...hermit who is the guy who actually created & gave us this software, don't you ? I don't think he deserves your rants.

2. library maintenance is on the library tab , not the add books tab- duh!

3. no-one has to help you - it's free software with free help - so be nice or be gone

Last edited by cybmole; 08-01-2012 at 06:35 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Eh where was the help"you never offered any?
Kovid was the only person to state exactly what the problem was. Any normal person would have plunged into the custom column area of preferences to see if they could discover what was going on. The only reason I stopped to render any assistance was because Kovid had already stated what the problem was.

Instead of accepting his help and maybe politely asking for some clarification, you chose to be rude, snarky and down right disrespectful.

Quote:
You jumped in to a forum where someone was already trying to give me assistance" then all you were really doing was talking down to someone you don't even know"
Stating the answer to your question is not talking down to you. If anything it is treating you with respect, assuming that you were a thinking adult that might just be able to move along once the problem area is pointed out. After all unless you pirated someone's library you had obviously already been in the custom column area creating a new column and messing with the template. There is no shame in still needing help after he pointed out the answer, but there is no excuse for you to act as a child.

Quote:
now you are writing personal insults and name calling, displaying exactly what you really are You didn't offer any help and you were never asked for it!
As pointed out above he did give you direct help and the fact that you posted a plea for assistance in the calibre forum is asking for help. You can't truly be so tone deaf as to not understand how childish you are being.

Quote:
The people above you were helping me" you were just being a snide, bombastic, little computer "Hermit"
No one above mentioned the cause of the template error you were asking about. I never would have stopped by if Kovid hadn't explicitly stated the answer to your problem.

It constantly amazes me how folks that come across as disrespectful, immature dolts are not only surprised that they get called out on this behavior but open their mouth a second time to confirm to all who may read this thread that in fact the first rude post wasn't taken out of context.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind personnel remarks you wrote that only go to highlight what I was saying above
How did you think he would respond to your childish outburst. He gave you a direct answer and you threw a tantrum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Dasha
Connoisseur

Thanks dwanthny I still have the "funny page" Template error is fixed. I will sort the rest Thanks very much for your efforts Cheers Dasha