Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #121
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
because i don't care. i'm tired of corporations trying to extort money from everyone simply because they can. they are offering the reduced price device for a reason, to market and sell in the long term - they know that $30.00 "savings" will reap sales many times more than that $30.00. thanks but no thanks, every minute of my life doesn't need to contain a commercial for some meaningless product. and why should i pay to stop being bombarded, that is pure greed.
Except those "commercials" have offered people enough discounts to pay for their devises - Ask tubemonkey. The discounts he received in the first couple of months of owning his KSO actually paid for the Kindle. So no, they are not "extorting" money from anyone, they are giving you options. If you didn't want the ads, you should not have purchased the ad supported unit. If you thought you wanted the ads and don't now, pay what the rest of us paid to not have any ads and you won't have to see them anymore.

Anyway, its 2 hours before 2012 starts for me and the last thing I want to do is leave 2011 on an negative note.

May everyone have a very Happy, Safe, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!!

Happy Reading

~Nyssa
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...in the end it all boils down to the same thing; i don't care.
And in those words are the seeds of the downfall of every civilization since the dawn of time. Fortunately, there are still an awful lot of people left in civilized society to whom ethics are still important.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #123
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Except those "commercials" have offered people enough discounts to pay for their devises
well good for them.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #124
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And in those words are the seeds of the downfall of every civilization since the dawn of time. Fortunately, there are still an awful lot of people left in civilized society to whom ethics are still important.
how many people could eat from the lavish holiday meals we choke down? how many people are evicted from crappy rental apartments each week? how many malnourished children are there tonight?

tell me more about your ethical civilized world.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #125
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
May everyone have a very Happy, Safe, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!!
especially Amazon, they need all the prosperity they can get with all these thieves stealing $30-40 from them...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #126
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
especially Amazon, they need all the prosperity they can get with all these thieves stealing $30-40 from them...
Tell us, when and how did you bump your head? Must have been a sad and terrible accident.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #127
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Tell us, when and how did you bump your head? Must have been a sad and terrible accident.
i was mugged by Google.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #128
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
First thing you said that made sense. Unfortunately.
Hey! Watch it, bub.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #129
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
how many people could eat from the lavish holiday meals we choke down? how many people are evicted from crappy rental apartments each week? how many malnourished children are there tonight?

tell me more about your ethical civilized world.
Ah, the old, "If I didn't do it, someone else would" augument: Everyone else acts that way, why shouldn't I?

There have always been and there will always be people who behave selfishly. There have always been and will always be those who are unconcerned about the widows and orphans. That doesn't provide cover for the choices we make as individuals.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #130
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Hey! Watch it, bub.
I only meant it in context.

It makes perfect sense for someone to behave in this manner if they are convinced that personal responsibility is dead.

It may not be dead yet, but I believe its been feeling pretty ill for a while.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #131
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't completely and utterly agree with asciibaron (although his smart remarks are pure entertainment to me), but I believe this:

Who cares! Who cares what other people do with their devices. It's theirs. I bought a KT 3g, no SO, and I do not in anyway begrudge those who bought SO devices "hacking" them. I bought mine without SO because I could, and didn't want to deal with the mess of getting rid of ads if I didn't like them. But if someone else is willing to go through that extra effort to get rid of their SO, then so be it. That's their prerogative. It's like a bunch of Jehovah Witnesses or Christian missionaries in here trying to force their [moral] beliefs on others. They didn't walk into a store and rob it. They didn't hurt anybody. They removed special offers. Save your fight for something that really matters. And THAT is what's wrong with America these days. Everybody getting all up in everybody's business. Mind your own!

As far as paying to remove ads, from what I understand, even though you, in the end, pay as much as you would have for a non SO Kindle, it only works on the account that was paid off. So even though you paid your dues, if you change the account the Kindle SO is attached to, you must pay off Amazon again. Talk about shady.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #132
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And THAT is what's wrong with America these days. Everybody getting all up in everybody's business. Mind your own!
You realize of, course, that there's people other than Americans in this discussion?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #133
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You realize of, course, that there's people other than Americans in this discussion?
i've been to Canada, they have crime and busy bodies there too.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #134
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
There have always been and there will always be people who behave selfishly.
there is a word for those people, politicians.

just so i have this right - it is unselfish to mod the Kindle is it is a feature you like but selfish if the device is modded to remove the ads. who exactly is the selfish one?

much ado about nothing.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #135
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
there is a word for those people, politicians.

just so i have this right - it is unselfish to mod the Kindle is it is a feature you like but selfish if the device is modded to remove the ads. who exactly is the selfish one?

much ado about nothing.
You agreed and got paid to keep the ads on your device --- there is nothing more to it.
Closed Thread