Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
What's your favorite pizza topping and crust?

I'm not talking about 'foccacia' topped with something. I mean pizza from the local pizza joint!

Different countries have different tastes. Here in Japan, seafood, especially squid, and seaweed seem to be #1 followed closely by a mix of corn and mayonnaise. I don't care for any of those myself.

I love a good thick crust, deep pan pizza, topped with tomato sauce, double mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, and pepperoni salami. To me, that is a little bit of heaven right here on earth.

What about you?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Oh god. I hate you Stichawl. As a native NYCer, I was lucky enough to live in the pizza capital of the world. Now in HK, finding an authentic NYC-style slice is not quite mission impossible, but certainly not an easy task. Thanks for making me miss home...

I go between 2 extremes of crusts: "designer" pizza with uber thin, crunchy crusts baked in brick ovens and deliciously thick sicilian square slices covered in mozarella. There is a local joint in Flushing, Queens near where my folks live that I have been hitting for over 20 years. No idea what their secret is, but their sicilians are the best I have yet come across. Gotta be the cheese - indescribably delicious.

Close third place: those enormous incredible deep-dish Chicago style pizzas. I nearly passed out when I had my first in the Windy City. Awesome.

Toppings: Pretty much everything, except pineapples [I like my pizzas salty, thank you]. Jalapenos, suasage, pepperoni, mushrooms are staples for me. When in designer pizza joints, I gotta have prosciutto! NYC also has a ton of places doing theme slices: mexican toppings, ziti slices, buffalo style, you name it!

And of course....

CHICKEN!

Last edited by lestatar; 06-19-2011 at 01:37 AM.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Thin pizza. Beef is okay, but I prefer chicken. No onions and no bell peppers please. And double cheese.

you make me hungry, Stitchawl.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
gotta be THIN!!!! deep dish is an atrocity! a good sauce is the foundation for a good pizza, as for toppings; artichoke hearts, olives, pepperoncini, prosciutto or canadian bacon, good sausage (not some mystery meat), onions, smallish mushrooms, spinach, 2 kinds of cheese... of course all of this is not necessary at once, some combination of the above is good. pineapples belong in the next county, not on my pizza, and get flicked as far away as possible if they attempt to make an appearance. a good calzone also makes my socks go up and down ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Given that the most popular restaurant meal in the UK is now a Chicken Tikka Masala (it has overtaken steak - apologies to pooh_bear and co.), we can of course now get a curry pizza. Never tried it myself, as I prefer my curry to be a proper curry...

For me, it's got to be thin crust pepperoni every time
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Anybody out there try the 5-cheese 'White Pizza' from a place in North Conway, New Hampshire? Now THAT is a really good, but very different pizza!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
An "Aussie"...egg, onion, tomato, bacon & cheese (sometimes barbecue sauce).

Though homemade I like a thin, crispy, homemade base, my own "ketchup", roast pumpkin, a small amount of sliced tomato, fetta cubes, sliced olives, fresh oregano and thyme.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like a good chewy crust with cheese, tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and black olives. Basically, a supreme pizza. I like the various vegetarian pizzas too.

I don't care for deep dish pizzas at all. Too much topping with too little crust. You might as well just eat a bowl of toppings.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
At least once a week, I must inhale a Pizza Hut deep pan (extra greasy crust, please), with pepperoni, green olives (no, they are not in your topping list, but would you please grab a handful off the salad bar and chop them a little?), and pineapple.

You get the savory pepperoni, the salty olives, and sweet pineapple in every bite. Plus ots of tasty hot greasy crust.

I've eaten pizza everywhere we have ever travelled, and nothing beats the Hut.

My Hut back home knew about the green olives and extra grease. Now I will have to train a new staff in my new town.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best non-Hut pizza I ever had was the deep dish pizza at the Exchequer in Chicago. Shel and Deb, be sure to try it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Anybody out there try the 5-cheese 'White Pizza' from a place in North Conway, New Hampshire? Now THAT is a really good, but very different pizza!

Stitchawl
Publix supermarkets sell a frozen whit pizza that is delish. The crust is cracker-thin and cracker-crispy. It has alfredo sauce, cheese and spinich. It can be cut into small pieces and makes a good potluck appetizer.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Oh god. I hate you Stichawl. As a native NYCer, I was lucky enough to live in the pizza capital of the world. Now in HK, finding an authentic NYC-style slice is not quite mission impossible, but certainly not an easy task. Thanks for making me miss home...
Finally somebody who comes from the right place.

NY is the only place I could find, outside Palermo and outside my kitchen, what is known as SFINCIUNI. Ever heard of it? It is a thick crust pizza, made the way around. The crust, prepared to remain soft and a bit spongy, just lightly brown at the outside, then a really thick tomato sauce, heavy with onions, made with fresh tomatoes. Anchoviessssss. Yes as many you can afford. On top the cheese, better if some tasty sheep cheese. Grated of course. Final touch, fresh oregano. Before turning an adept of Pilot the Bob that was the pizza I cooked on Sunday evening for the family. Onions and then more onions.

I found it on a window joint in Upper West Side, on Broadway. Sfinciuni. The best. Got to try it. Sfinciuni. The best.

Whenever around Milano I find somebody with a Sicilian accent, I come on the subject of sfinciuni. The ones not from Palemo, look at me with their Sicilian look, but once in awhile ... Their eyes become watery and dreaming ... sfinciuni ... can you make it? How do you keep the crust soft? Do you know a place here where they sell it? And on and on. Sfinciuni
Click image for larger version

Name:	778846316_e4aec57bf6.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	73020
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

NY is the only place I could find, outside Palermo and outside my kitchen, what is known as SFINCIUNI. Ever heard of it? It is a thick crust pizza, made the way around. The crust, prepared to remain soft and a bit spongy, just lightly brown at the outside, then a really thick tomato sauce, heavy with onions, made with fresh tomatoes. Anchoviessssss. Yes as many you can afford. On top the cheese, better if some tasty sheep cheese. Grated of course. Final touch, fresh oregano. Before turning an adept of Pilot the Bob that was the pizza I cooked on Sunday evening for the family. Onions and then more onions.

I found it on a window joint in Upper West Side, on Broadway. Sfinciuni. The best. Got to try it. Sfinciuni. The best.

Whenever around Milano I find somebody with a Sicilian accent, I come on the subject of sfinciuni. The ones not from Palemo, look at me with their Sicilian look, but once in awhile ... Their eyes become watery and dreaming ... sfinciuni ... can you make it? How do you keep the crust soft? Do you know a place here /ATTACH]

Oh yum! My almost-grandma was from Naples, which is close enough to Sicily to have good food. She taught me to make the crust, more bread-like instead of crusty. Great big giant anchovies, if the fish guy can get them. Yes, cooked in a rectangle pan and cut into squares.

She also taught me to make cannoli.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Absolute favorite: deep dish double cheese with pepperoni and Italian sausage, with melted garlic butter dribbled on the edge of the crust!
[my mouth is watering as I type]

Second favorite: "green" pizza - thin crust with pesto sauce and mozzarella cheese - goes wonderfully with cold beer!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

Whenever around Milano I find somebody with a Sicilian accent, I come on the subject of sfinciuni. The ones not from Palemo, look at me with their Sicilian look, but once in awhile ... Their eyes become watery and dreaming ... sfinciuni ... can you make it? How do you keep the crust soft? Do you know a place here where they sell it? And on and on. Sfinciuni
Attachment 73020
dammit beppe....I hate you now too... lol

Yes, I know that place...UWS was where I lived and hung out almost all the time. A W E S O M E! Incredible proscuitto there as well as fantastic mozzarella...

<sigh> These little things are the things I miss most...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote