Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Well, I have my Kindle 3 in my hands at last, I have tried all the methods I know to remove the margins but to no avail, any hints/tips would be greatfully received...

This is using non DRM Epub to Mobi with the margins set to 0 in calibre
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Well, I have my Kindle 3 in my hands at last, I have tried all the methods I know to remove the margins but to no avail, any hints/tips would be greatfully received...

Same thing here. The Kindle doesn't seem to observe the margin configuration I setup in Calibre. I think the Kindle has "minimum" margins hardcoded in the firmware that cannot be overruled by the css stylesheet of the ebook.
Has anyone been able to reduce the page margins?
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Same thing here. The Kindle doesn't seem to observe the margin configuration I setup in Calibre. I think the Kindle has "minimum" margins hardcoded in the firmware that cannot be overruled by the css stylesheet of the ebook.
Has anyone been able to reduce the page margins?
I've tried but to no avail. Unfortunately the Kindle support of CSS is rather limited and does not support the use of margin-left or margin-right or padding-left or padding-right.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
On my Kindle 2, you can edit the default left/right margins. You don't even need to install any packages or jailbreak! I don't know if this will work for Kindle 3 or not, as I don't have one. But for earlier versions, hook the Kindle up to your computer and open the following file with your favorite text editor (e.g. notepad):
Code:
\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref
You will see a line like the following:
Code:
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
The default is 40 pixels. Change it as you desire; 0 does work if that is what you want. Once you have changed it, save the file, eject your Kindle, and restart it using the menu (Menu > Settings, Menu > Restart). Your margins should now have changed.

Last edited by isotherm; 09-02-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Changed default
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's still there on the K3. Haven't tried though. (But I do remember seeing 40 as the default. I may be wrong ^^)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The file is still there, and the default is 40.

I changed it to 20, and this worked - the margins were reduced.
However, if you select the dialog to change font size etc., this resets the margin - so you'd have to edit the file again to change it back.

In other words, this sets the current margin, not the default margin.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

I've had much success using Sigil to open the CSS of the non-DRM ePub, and editing the Left and Right margins from 5pt to 0, worked like a charm for all my non-DRM ePubs!

Let me know if it works for you too!
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgeek View Post
I've had much success using Sigil to open the CSS of the non-DRM ePub, and editing the Left and Right margins from 5pt to 0, worked like a charm for all my non-DRM ePubs!

Let me know if it works for you too!
No, as stated just above you cannot change the CSS margins in Mobi (Kindle) books.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
geekgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No, as stated just above you cannot change the CSS margins in Mobi (Kindle) books.
Yup, my method only works for ePub books, but once you've made the changes to the ePub book, you can then use Calibre to convert them to Mobi, and they should display perfectly on the Kindle without the left and right margins
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

However, if you select the dialog to change font size etc., this resets the margin - so you'd have to edit the file again to change it back.

I tried it too, but it didn't take. The only result I got was a screwed up Collection sorting. I had been using an initial period to make Collections appear first during Title sort. I guess the restart caused them to be re-alphabetized differently so I had to rename all collections to an initial underbar instead. Damn Amazon for not allowing us to set this as desired.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
K3 can eliminate margins totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiramisù View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle3 but first I'd like to know if you can completely remove the left and right margins.
I've read that with Caliber you can set the margins to 0 (points), does this mean that there will be no white space between the bezels and the text?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Kindle LG WiFi 3 can eliminate all margins using the Text key. I have one eBook set that way and another not set that way. One uses the 5 way controller to set the number of words per line.

I only use AZW - Amazon - books however.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #27
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Yup, my method only works for ePub books, but once you've made the changes to the ePub book, you can then use Calibre to convert them to Mobi, and they should display perfectly on the Kindle without the left and right margins
You would think it would but, sadly, this is not the case. This is the exact method I have been trying to no avail.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #28
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

I tried this but it does not take, when I check the file after a restart it has reverted back to 40

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #29
geekgeek

Quote:
You would think it would but, sadly, this is not the case. This is the exact method I have been trying to no avail.
Just to confirm, you are opening up the ePub book in Sigil, and changing the "stylesheet.ss" file under the "Styles" folder? The values to be changed are "margin-left" and "margin-right", which were set to 5pt in my ePub books for some reason, so I changed them both to 0 and it worked.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #30
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Just to confirm, you are opening up the ePub book in Sigil, and changing the "stylesheet.ss" file under the "Styles" folder? The values to be changed are "margin-left" and "margin-right", which were set to 5pt in my ePub books for some reason, so I changed them both to 0 and it worked.
Yes, this is exactly what I have been doing for months and it works fine on my Sony Pocket as an epub, when converted to Mobi it ignores this setting...