Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Apocalyptic Fiction

Any apocalyptic fiction / horror book recommendations?
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Sandman Slim Series by Richard Kadrey.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/k/richard-kadrey/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Sandman Slim Series by Richard Kadrey.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/k/richard-kadrey/
Apache
Wow.

Definitely checking that out.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have had the first one in my TBR for a while now. I just started reading it a few days ago and was hooked. I am on book three now and may binge all of them one right after the other.
Apache
Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
I have had the first one in my TBR for a while now. I just started reading it a few days ago and was hooked. I am on book three now and may binge all of them one right after the other.
Apache
Nice.

Have you read "The Maze Runner"?

I finished the series.

Very good stuff.
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic

No. Damn, another series I am going to have to buy.
Apache
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
No. Damn, another series I am going to have to buy.
Apache
Yeah.

Best series I have ever read in my life!

(It also has movies now).
Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic

Now my wallet has sprung a leak.
Apache
Old 10-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel
Bannerless - Carrie Vaughn
The Stand - Steven King (The only King I've ever read)
The Children of Men - PD James
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll second Station Eleven. I'd also add Hugh Howey's Wool Series.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Hmm...reading "The Stand".

Kinda OK.

A bit slow-developing.

Not really my thing.

for the suggestions, everyone.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Also, it's amazing what ends up as a Wikipedia article: Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction. I particularly like that they make mention of some pre-1900 works ... oh, and the idea of a "cosy catastrophe"!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
... oh, and the idea of a "cosy catastrophe"!
Maybe riding out a hurricane in a recliner.
Apache
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Maybe riding out a hurricane in a recliner.
Apache
No, the only way to be truly cosy is like Dorothy in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and take the whole house.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Also, it's amazing what ends up as a Wikipedia article: Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction. I particularly like that they make mention of some pre-1900 works ... oh, and the idea of a "cosy catastrophe"!
There were a lot of such works back in the 50's up through the 70's. On the Beach, Pat Frank's excellent Alas, Babylon. For some reason, I didn't really connect Lucifer's Hammer with the current Mad Max style post Apocalyptic fiction. Ellison's A Boy and his Dog, which was later made into a movie is another.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalyptic fiction, apocalyptic horror, book, ebook, recommendations