Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Someone had tried to install the Kobo Firmware on the Tolino Shine 3, which resembles the Kobo Clara HD. It didn't work, though. It would be interesting to see if the new Tolinos can be be cracked to run Android.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Nit-pick: none of these are "based on" Linux. All Kobo devices, including Kobo's tolino-branded devices, run a full Linux kernel, not a derivative. ...
I get your point. You're right. I should have said "Linux-based" not "based on Linux."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Nit-pick: none of these are "based on" Linux. All Kobo devices, including Kobo's tolino-branded devices, run a full Linux kernel, not a derivative. So do Kindle devices for that matter. But not iPhone and iPad; these run a Mach + FreeBSD fusion called XNU. Kindle Fire devices run an os that is based on Android. Still have a full Linux kernel at the core but what sits above is a derivative of Google's AOSP sources.

Unknown if tolino firmware can be installed on Kobo-branded hardware or if Kobo firmware can be installed on tolino-branded hardware. They're the same hardware but the IPL code may be different.
Minor nit. The Tolino branded devices are still using Tolino's Android based firmware and not Kobo's Linux based firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #19
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The Tolino branded devices are still using Tolino's Android based firmware and not Kobo's Linux based firmware.
Android runs on top of a Linux kernel. I don't know if Kobo/tolino have passed all the requirements needed to use the Android name and trademarks. If not then it's "based on Android" like Amazon's FireOS. Otherwise it's not "Android-based"; it's "Android".

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if both sets of operating systems use the same kernel version underneath. Same kernel version, same drivers, simplified maintenance since they wouldn't have to maintain multiple source trees.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Shine 3 (still the Clara clone) — Vision 5, now a Libra clone — Epos2, now a Forma clone. And Page (looks like an Aura 2 clone but comes with 8GB instead of 4GB).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Looks like they're still using the Tolino firmware. So, based on Android instead of Linux and much more "sparse."
With the hardware for both being the same, I don't understand why anybody not living in Germany would buy a Tolino.

I also don't understand why Kobo doesn't replace Tolino's O/S with Nickle, even if they rebranded it like they do the hardware.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #21
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
With the hardware for both being the same, I don't understand why anybody not living in Germany would buy a Tolino.
Because... they... want the inferior software?

Quote:
I also don't understand why Kobo doesn't replace Tolino's O/S with Nickle, even if they rebranded it like they do the hardware.
There's probably Germany region specific functionality that hasn't yet been fully integrated with Nickel.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my case because I can buy books directly from stores like Feedbooks (even Kobo) without having to use install ADE in Wine on my Linux computer.

Quote:
I would imagine because Tolino has a whole infrastructure built around the current software. They even use a non-Adobe DRM system (as well as ADE) for some libraries in Europe (something called LCP). So a Tolino is more versatile than a Kobo here.

Quote:
Because... they... want the inferior software?
Or the fact that the Tolino has superior software for certain purposes.

Quote:
There's probably Germany region specific functionality that hasn't yet been fully integrated with Nickel.
Kobo and Tolino software is quite a bit different. I'm not sure Tolinos will ever have Nickel. (I personally hope not.)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Android runs on top of a Linux kernel. I don't know if Kobo/tolino have passed all the requirements needed to use the Android name and trademarks. If not then it's "based on Android" like Amazon's FireOS. Otherwise it's not "Android-based"; it's "Android".

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if both sets of operating systems use the same kernel version underneath. Same kernel version, same drivers, simplified maintenance since they wouldn't have to maintain multiple source trees.
Given the information internal to the firmware files, it's Android not Android-like.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I don't know if I would spend the money on a new Tolino. I did, however, just buy a cheap used Tolino because it can get Overdrive library books directly via the built-in browser, like Sonys used to before Overdrive updates made them obsolete. (At least if this happens to my Tolino I didn't waste much money on it.)

With my Kobo there have been a few library books that I couldn't get directly on the reader and had to sideload from my PC. Not a problem if I'm home, but often I read away from home on my lunch break, while waiting for a dentist appointment or car repair, or whatever. Now I can take the Tolino if I'm going to be away from my home computer and want to be sure I can get any library book I want.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 AM   #25
ratinox
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given the information internal to the firmware files, it's Android not Android-like.
The original sources are Android, almost certainly AOSP.

But it is not Android for the same reasons that FireOS is not Android.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:55 AM   #26
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Tolino offers different functionalities than Kobo. They're partnered with different stores, which change depending on the country (it's IBS in Italy, Thalia and possibly other shops in Germany according to their website - not sure if they're sold anywhere else), and they also offer a 5GB cloud space to store and sync personal documents across devices. Nickel would probably need a overhaul to be able to support this, not to mention that Tolino existed and had customers before being bought by Kobo, which means that there are people who are used to and might prefer their software to Nickel. My bet is that they decided that if it works, there's no point in changing it.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Tolino offers different functionalities than Kobo. They're partnered with different stores, which change depending on the country (it's IBS in Italy, Thalia and possibly other shops in Germany according to their website - not sure if they're sold anywhere else), and they also offer a 5GB cloud space to store and sync personal documents across devices. Nickel would probably need a overhaul to be able to support this, not to mention that Tolino existed and had customers before being bought by Kobo, which means that there are people who are used to and might prefer their software to Nickel. My bet is that they decided that if it works, there's no point in changing it.
Yep. And since Tolino works with several different stores in Europe (and libraries that use the LCP(?) DRM) they are more versatile -- even when used in the United States. With a Tolino I can download any ePub book in Overdrive (including those that don't match up for the Kobo store), I can buy and download DRM ePubs from Kobo, Feedbooks, and eBooks.com and probably others. eBooks.com recognizes that the Tolino is Android based, so you have to bypass the Android software install, then choose "other Readers" and scroll down to ePub download (skipping the Adobe DRM setup, since you already have it installed on the Reader).

This is a huge plus for someone, like me, who doesn't have Adobe ADE (since I use Linux).
Old 10-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #28
SusanReads
Zealot
SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis 3
So it's only the software that's different? The lighting, the contrast, everything else is the same as the Kobos?

I would love to have a Libra with better (even) lighting, but I guess a Tolino is out of the question then?
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #29
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
The hardware is identical, but it's possible the drivers in the Tolino software might make some difference. Maybe.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote