Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The maker of the dual-screen YotaPhone goes bankrupt

The maker of the dual-screen YotaPhone goes bankrupt

xda-developers article:

https://www.xda-developers.com/yota-...aker-bankrupt/
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Not surprised, but sorry to hear it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Many times explorers, prospectors, pilgrims, and yes even dare-devils become only footnotes in history, if remembered at all.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It is possible there might be something similar, someone on better financial footing might buy the tech and release something, potentially even called yotaphone (their trademarks are for sale too), it's an interesting idea.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It is possible there might be something similar, someone on better financial footing might buy the tech and release something, potentially even called yotaphone (their trademarks are for sale too), it's an interesting idea.
Hisense, a Chinese company, make a very similar phone, the Hisense A2 Pro: https://eyestraintreatment.com/review-hisense-a2-pro/

They also have an even newer model which has a frontlight on the eink side, the Hisense A6: https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...s-nice-videos/

However, the Google Play Store cannot yet be installed on the A6 model which is why I opted for the A2 Pro instead. A very nice device although I really lament the lack of a frontlight.

Personally, although I really like my dual screen A2 Pro, I think such phones are a bit gimmicky. I would much rather have a decent single screen eink phone and I suspect that many of the people drawn to such devices feel the same.

Instead of having the colour screen which I don't really need, it would have been nicer if they had opted for a better camera instead. The camera on the A2 Pro is really quite mediocre.

If such companies were to produce a really high quality specialized eink phone, I think they would find an eager market. Instead, they produce a phone with mediocre specs which doesn't really satisfy anybody's needs/desires.

Although it is sad to see the demise of Yotaphone as it leaves less competition in the market which often serves to drive innovation, perhaps it will spur somebody on to really re-examine the concept and produce a high quality dedicated eink phone instead.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I too would prefer a single screen e-ink phone, but I suspect too large a segment of the targeted market demand to be able to watch cat videos.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Mine still going strong, not a scratch or ding, battery still at 90+% of original. Most portable of e-ink readers, ever! I take it on the beach where it shines (uh, I mean reflects!). Not my main phone because it has no U.S. 4G radios; otherwise would be my favorite phone. Maxed out at Android 5.0, but that's no biggie.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I also have Yotaphone 2 and I still use it. It is actually a very good phone.

Last edited by slex; 04-22-2019 at 06:55 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Personally, although I really like my dual screen A2 Pro, I think such phones are a bit gimmicky. I would much rather have a decent single screen eink phone and I suspect that many of the people drawn to such devices feel the same.

Instead of having the colour screen which I don't really need, it would have been nicer if they had opted for a better camera instead. The camera on the A2 Pro is really quite mediocre.

If such companies were to produce a really high quality specialized eink phone, I think they would find an eager market. Instead, they produce a phone with mediocre specs which doesn't really satisfy anybody's needs/desires.

Although it is sad to see the demise of Yotaphone as it leaves less competition in the market which often serves to drive innovation, perhaps it will spur somebody on to really re-examine the concept and produce a high quality dedicated eink phone instead.
Yotaphone had that in the works but just couldn't get their act together

I hope Hisense takes a stab at it. I prefer their design of the A2 Pro and A6 to the Yotaphone 2 and 3
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
New e-ink phone on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...th/coming_soon

The campaign hasn't started yet, but you can sign up to be notified by email when it starts.

I don't believe in e-ink-only phones, but several people on Mobileread wrote that they want one, so now you can put your money where your mouth is :-)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
thanks,
very interesting.
now if only we can have this or hisense a6 with google play....

after years of gmail, google calendar and google maps, i'm afraid i'm locked-in..
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I don't believe in e-ink-only phones, but several people on Mobileread wrote that they want one, so now you can put your money where your mouth is :-)
Oh I would like one... with decent specs. Not sure this is it. And I would wait until a device actually comes to market rather than backing such a campaign.

However, I wish them every success and might eventually get one should it ever come to market and if they are able to improve the specs somewhat.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
thanks,
very interesting.

after years of gmail, google calendar and google maps, i'm afraid i'm locked-in..
The Hisense A2 Pro has Google Play and, on Aliexpress, it is currently about half the price of the A6. It just doesn't have a frontlight on the eink side which is unfortunate.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
New e-ink phone on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...th/coming_soon

The campaign hasn't started yet, but you can sign up to be notified by email when it starts.

Not much info at the Indiegogo page so I googled and found this video

A few highlights:
  • Android 8.1 but...
  • no Google play, they plan to have their own app store
  • 2Gb memory, 16Gb storage, sdcard slot for upto +64Gb
  • mt6763 octocore CPU
  • USB C connector, includes fast charging
  • 5.2" E-Ink Carta screen (1280x720)with frontlight
  • battery 3100ma - they are claiming 2days as phone, 7days just reading, 15days standby
  • 8Mp rear camera
  • 138mmx72mmx8.5mm
  • ~349USD
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
thanks,
very interesting.

Their built-in calendar and mail program should be able to support Google Calendar and Gmail, although perhaps more rudimentary than you'd like. Have no idea what they'll do for maps, which would be a killer feature, having the e-Ink screen always on while wandering around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Not much info at the Indiegogo page so I googled and found this video

A few highlights:
  • Android 8.1 but...
  • no Google play, they plan to have their own app store
  • 2Gb memory, 16Gb storage, sdcard slot for upto +64Gb
  • mt6763 octocore CPU
  • USB C connector, includes fast charging
  • 5.2" E-Ink Carta screen (1280x720)with frontlight
  • battery 3100ma - they are claiming 2days as phone, 7days just reading, 15days standby
  • 8Mp rear camera
  • 138mmx72mmx8.5mm
  • ~349USD
Thanks much for not only finding the video, but also for transcribing the key specs. I watched the video and missed the frontlight mention (the Indiegogo page didn't say anything about it).

Flagship specs back in 2012. But decent list price--I paid more for my 3G Kindle Keyboard when it first came out. Here's hoping they offer a wide variety of cellular radios for all regions and most carriers.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote