Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Ea -- I agree with you on Rutherfurd. It did take him a while to get into his stride. He seemed to get it right, though, with *London*. I'm looking forward to his Irish books (didn't know they were available as ebooks, so thanks for that tip). He was so serious about this work that he actually went to live in Dublin for five years while he put in the research spadework.
Here: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a1...d-Rutherfurd/?

He was *telling* too much in the first books, it was a bit annoying - and I couldn't get through 'Russka'. Nothng happens. Then more nothing, and after that nothing happens again Too harsh probably, but it was boring.
'London' is the best, with 'The Forest' right after.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 AM   #32
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
We have some pretty neat historical fiction at my own wee publishing house, by the way (www.bewrite.net). If anything there takes your fancy (our latest, *The Wolf Has No Pillow* is a terrific piece of work -- and there are several more), please just drop me a line and I'll be happy to send the ebook/s over free of charge. Fair return for the good company and sound advice I've found here. Very best. Neil

ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)

Last edited by neilmarr; 08-31-2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: typo -- that's what comes of trying to work on a netbook in the sun.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #33
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo View Post
I liked the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Sailor, nice mysteries with good characterization and they make ancient Rome come alive. Also mysteries set in Rome, but more humorous and less realistic are Lindsey Davies' novels in the Falco series.
Definately Steven Saylor. I have all his books & have read them in order three or four times. I (and 30 gazillion other readers) got an e-mail from him a month or so ago letting us know he's finished his latest.

Unfortunately there's only 2 or 3 of his books available electronically. I asked if he had plans on releasing more and he replied that he'd look into it. Since he was in the middle of a new book he had other things on his mind, so I didn't bother him any further.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #34
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Haven't seen Mary Renault mentioned - but her Alexander books are at the top of my list.
Julian Rathbone is another author I've enjoyed.
Ah yes, The Persian Boy, The Nature of Alexander, and several others.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #35
Treven
Addict

Quote:
And, of course, anything by James A Michener and by Edward Rutherfurd, but I don't think there are digital versions available yet. Great pity because these hefty tomes take up a huge amount of space on the bookshelf, but merely inconvenience a few electrons in the ebook reader. Neil
There is at least one James Mitchner books available electronically; Iberia. There might be others but I haven't run across them.
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #36
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I Second This!

Quote:
Ken Follet's *Pillars of the Earth* and *World Without End* are both available in ebook version. They're heavy tomes (one just under 1K pages, the other just over 1K) but the early medieval research is superb and the human-interest fiction that drives the books is quite wonderful. I've just read them back-to-back and can't wait to forget them in a few years so that I can experience the reading over again. The best of 14th Century historical fiction, broad-canvas, racing, fully satisfying reads. Best. Neil
I second this neilmarr. I am reading Pillars of the Earth right now, and it is an excellent read. Generally large books are kind of intimidating, but once you get into this one, you don't really care.

Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #37
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The secret with Follet, Rutherfurd and -- the first in the genre -- Michener, I think, is that, although the page count is usually heavy, what you actually have is a collection of short stories in bite sized chunks, developing very human, interwoven fictional histories against a fact-based backdrop. Masterful jobbing authors are these chaps. Neil
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #38
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Hmmm. Neat thread. Not sure if Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose qualifies... but it certainly feels historical. As does Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian...

As for actually historical... heh, I usually go for short-stories... One of these days, I'll finish The Canterbury Tales.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #39
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I noticed earlier that three Sharon Kay Penman books are available in ebook now. She's also a good HF author. Her "The Sunne in Splendour" is her best. And Elizabeth Chadwick.

And there are 36 pages (various formats) of historical fiction available here at MB including all 5 books of James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-09-2009 at 02:58 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #40
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I second Rutherford, which I really enjoyed, and I also like Margaret George, I think she is fairly accurate in her descriptions.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #41
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've been reading The Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope recently. Although strictly speaking they are not Historical Fiction since he was writing about the same time as his books are set in they give an insight into the very different way people thought in earlier centuries.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #42
neilmarr
neilmarr

That's also the beauty of Dickens and many others, Alex; history written as it's happening. Looking back through old newspapers is fascinating for the same reason. I'm currently reading Letters on England, penned by Voltaire in the early-mid eighteenth century ... absolutely absorbing to get the authentic contemporary view that we now, of course, consider historical. N
Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #43
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kenneth Roberts! Wonderful American historical fiction, centering around the Maine sea coast, and New England. Great action/adventure stories!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #44
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kenneth Roberts! Wonderful American historical fiction, centering around the Maine sea coast, and New England. Great action/adventure stories!

Stitchawl
cheers to that! Oliver Wiswell right? I'm not gonna go look it up :P
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #45
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
cheers to that! Oliver Wiswell right? I'm not gonna go look it up :P
Oliver Wiswell, Arundel, The Lively Lady, Captain Caution, Northwest Passage, etc., etc., etc.!

Each of them page-turners!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote