Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #706
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
New books
When Never Comes by Barbara Davis - Contemporary
It Ends With Her by Brianna Labuskes - Thriller
Bandwidth by Eliot Peper - Science Fiction
An American Princess: The Many Lives of Allene Tew by Annejet van der Zij - Biography
The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective) by Frank Goldammer - Historical Mystery
Monsoon Mansion by Cinelle Barnes - Memoir

I'm thinking of going for Bandwidth

Last edited by newkindlefun; 04-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #707
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
An easy choice for me this month. "It ends with Her". Now I just have to hope that it lives up to the blurb.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #708
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
For me, "The Air Raid Killer" sounds very interesting!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #709
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Several good ones this month, after a few months of nothing interesting.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #710
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Thanks to newkindlefun for posting a short version earlier than I could! Here's the fancy one:

This month's Amazon First Reads selections are out, they are:

When Never Comes by Barbara Davis [Genre: Contemporary Fiction]
Quote:
Author Barbara Davis deftly explores an emotionally charged landscape of pain, loss, and despair—and the risk one woman will take in the hope of loving again.

As a teenage runaway and child of an addict, Christy-Lynn learned the hard way that no address was permanent, and no promise sacred. For a while, she found a safe haven in her marriage to bestselling crime novelist Stephen Ludlow—until his car skidded into Echo Bay. But Stephen’s wasn’t the only body pulled from the icy waters that night. When details about a mysterious violet-eyed blonde become public, a media circus ensues, and Christy-Lynn runs again.

Desperate for answers, she’s shattered to learn that Stephen and his mistress had a child—a little girl named Iris, who now lives in poverty with her ailing great-grandmother. The thought of Iris abandoned to the foster care system—as Christy-Lynn once was—is unbearable. But she’s spent her whole life running—determined never to be hurt again. Will she finally stand still long enough to open herself up to forgiveness and love?

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
What if you could save a child in need, but she would be a constant reminder of past hardship and heartache? Could you do it? Our heroine, Christy-Lynn Parker, never wanted to have kids. She had a horrible childhood—first with her drug-addled mother, next in foster care, and ultimately out on the streets. To Christy-Lynn’s relief, her husband never pushed for children. In fact, she thought he didn’t want them at all. So imagine her shock when she finds out after his death that he had a daughter named Iris with another woman—the same woman he died with in the depths of an icy bay in Maine.

Orphaned, Iris will likely end up a ward of the state. Christy-Lynn knows firsthand the perils of foster care. But Iris is not her responsibility. Moreover, she’s the product of her husband’s affair—how could anyone possibly expect Christy-Lynn to intervene? At the same time, she can’t seem to walk away. Each time she tries, she’s drawn back, asking herself whether she can face the nightmares of her childhood to save Iris.

It’s this question that had me hooked. What would I do in this situation? Could I set aside my hurt and grief? Could I open up my heart? Can Christy-Lynn? Let’s just say that in this achingly beautiful novel, author Barbara Davis deftly proves that there really is something to the old saw “Never say never.” — Jodi Warshaw, Editor

It Ends With Her by Brianna Labuskes [Genre: Thriller]
Quote:
He started the game. She’ll end it.

FBI special agent Clarke Sinclair doesn’t give up easily. She’s spent years tracking serial killer Simon Cross, forced to follow his twisted clues and photographs across the country. Clarke knows that Cross selects only redheaded women and that he doesn’t target another victim until Clarke discovers the previous one.

He’s never broken pattern…until now.

A girl has already gone missing in upstate New York when a second one is kidnapped—a blonde. The killer’s MO has changed, sending Clarke back to the drawing board. The closer she gets to the truth, the deeper she’s drawn into an inescapable trap made just for Clarke. Whatever Cross’s ultimate game is, it ends with her.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
As a child, my friends and I created scavenger hunts around our houses. The thrill of the hunt was energizing and exhilarating…but there always came a point when one of us had to go search the basement. I remember walking down the stairs, feeling absolute dread as I forced myself to breathe in and out slowly, trying to stop my heart from beating out of my chest. Those few minutes of anxiety, as I raced to find my clue and get out of the basement, were more than enough for me. But those feelings are what the heroine of this story has felt for years. In Brianna Labuskes’s new novel, FBI agent Clarke Sinclair is faced with a similar scavenger hunt—only it promises a grim ending.

Clarke has been trapped in a cat-and-mouse game with a killer for so long, she doesn’t know what her life looks like without it. She’s just received the serial killer’s latest bread crumb—he’s kidnapped a new woman. My head was filled with questions as I tore through the pages. Why is the killer so fixated on Clarke? Why has he chosen these victims? When Clarke discovers the differences in the killer’s most recent target, she realizes the answers lie in the tragic story of his first victim.

Told from multiple points of view, this novel is a captivating look at not only an FBI agent in crisis, but also a serial killer and his victims. As the hunt unfolds, we see that the characters’ pasts are shrouded in mystery, and the ultimate prize at the end of the trail left me gasping.

Brianna’s debut psychological thriller has it all: high stakes, revelations, and characters you won’t soon forget. As a reader, I love when a book gives me the chills, and It Ends With Her did just that. — Megha Parekh, Editor

Bandwidth by Eliot Peper [Genre: Science Fiction]
Quote:
A rising star at a preeminent political lobbying firm, Dag Calhoun represents the world’s most powerful technology and energy executives. But when a close brush with death reveals that the influence he wields makes him a target, impossible cracks appear in his perfect, richly appointed life.

Like everyone else, Dag relies on his digital feed for everything—a feed that is as personal as it is pervasive, and may not be as private as it seems. As he struggles to make sense of the dark forces closing in on him, he discovers that activists are hijacking the feed to manipulate markets and governments. Going public would destroy everything he’s worked so hard to build, but it’s not just Dag’s life on the line—a shadow war is coming, one that will secure humanity’s future or doom the planet to climate catastrophe. Ultimately, Dag must decide the price he’s willing to pay to change the world.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
Reading excellent near-future science fiction is knowing that one day you could wake up and the book will be shelved in the nonfiction section. From the politically motivated shootout in the very first pages of Eliot Peper’s Bandwidth to the pervasive cloud-based tech and the accelerating threat of severe climate change, this novel is a chilling look at a teetering world just around the corner from ours. If you blink, you could be living there.

This is the reality that master manipulator Dag Calhoun deals with. As a suave lobbyist, Dag reshapes politics on an international scale, where everyone is jockeying for power in a world ravaged by rising sea waters and energy shortages. The people in this future-that-might-be rely on “the feed,” a technology that permeates every part of their lives, from social media and commerce to the global information network. The feed is the internet on steroids, and it is accessible to everyone like a sixth sense. Dag soon finds out firsthand what happens when that type of control is given to the wrong people.

After a client is gunned down before his eyes, Dag struggles to unplug from his highest-bidder-takes-all worldview in order to confront the sins of his past. As the feed manipulates the geopolitical landscape, the world—and Dag’s very identity—hang in the balance. The things he has taken for granted are put into focus—his influence, his privilege, his power. And he’s not sure he likes what he sees, in himself or others. Presented with a universe that is so close to our own, how can we not wonder who we really are too? What would I do? Where are my priorities? And maybe those are just the right questions for us to ask these days. Before it’s too late. — Adrienne Procaccini, Editor

An American Princess: The Many Lives of Allene Tew by Annejet van der Zijl (Author), Michele Hutchison (Translator) [Genre: Biography]
Quote:
The true story of a girl from the wilderness settlements of a burgeoning new America who became one of the most privileged figures of the Gilded Age.

Born to a pioneering family in Upstate New York in the late 1800s, Allene Tew was beautiful, impetuous, and frustrated by the confines of her small hometown. At eighteen, she met Tod Hostetter at a local dance, having no idea that the mercurial charmer she would impulsively wed was heir to one of the wealthiest families in America. But when he died twelve years later, Allene packed her bags for New York City. Never once did she look back.

From the vantage point of the American upper class, Allene embodied the tumultuous Gilded Age. Over the course of four more marriages, she weathered personal tragedies during World War I and the catastrophic financial reversals of the crash of 1929. From the castles and châteaus of Europe, she witnessed the Russian Revolution and became a princess. And from the hopes of a young girl from Jamestown, New York, Allene Tew would become the epitome of both a pursuer and survivor of the American Dream.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
From a young age, we Americans are instilled with the dream that we can achieve anything, if only we work hard enough. You could be an entrepreneur, an astronaut…you could even grow up to marry a prince. After all, it happened to Allene Tew, a rural all-American girl who, in the late 1900s, reinvented herself first as a high society New York doyenne and then as European royalty.

Allene is the real-life heroine of the biography An American Princess, an incredible rags-to-riches story that takes us around the world—through world wars, the soaring and crashing of financial markets, and the great flu pandemic. Neither her wealth nor connections sheltered Allene from death, divorce, or the economic turmoil that was endemic at the turn of the twentieth century.

Through it all, however, Allene made the most of her opportunities and refused to succumb to depression or despair. Allene’s letters frequently proclaimed that we must have “courage all the time,” a motto that still rings out to me when I need it most, even long after I’ve closed the book.

Author Annejet van der Zijl—dubbed “Queen of Literary Nonfiction” in her native Netherlands—is a masterful storyteller who both gives us the historical context of the era and makes the personalities come to life. An American Princess has thrilled over two hundred thousand readers in the original Dutch. It’s a genuine pleasure to bring this author to an English-speaking audience and reintroduce her subject, Allene Tew, to her countrymen and women. — Elizabeth DeNoma, Editor

The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective) by Frank Goldammer (Author), Steve Anderson (Translator) [Genre: Historical Mystery]
Quote:
As the Third Reich ends, a killer’s game begins.

In the final days of the Third Reich, with the historic city of Dresden on the brink of destruction, terrifying rumors spread about the Fright Man, a demonic killer who exploited the cover of a nighttime air raid siren to mutilate and kill a young nurse. Just as seasoned detective Max Heller begins investigating, the Fright Man kills again…

The investigation seems hopeless. Desperate refugees flood the streets, all of Heller’s resources are depleted, and his new boss is a ruthless SS officer. And like so many others, Heller and his wife, Karin, survive on meager rations while fearing for the lives of their sons at the front. But as tensions mount and enemy firebombs decimate the city, dangerous new clues come to light—and the determined Heller pursues a violent and twisting path to unmask a monster.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
In the war-torn ruins of Dresden, detective Max Heller’s moral code is the one thing that hasn’t crumbled. As World War II rages on, Heller is unmoved by politics and remains dedicated to honest police work, committed to serve and protect, even as bombs are falling overhead. His mission is to stop the Fright Man, a brutal killer lurking around the wreckage, before he can inflict further damage.

Resources are constrained and local officials want police efforts focused on the war, but Heller refuses to be reassigned to trench digging when his city needs him. Determining his motive is as compelling as determining the killer’s: Why would Heller insist on investigating a few murder cases when soldiers and civilians are dying in vast numbers? In this gripping page-turner, Heller does not align himself with vague notions of good and evil—his definition of right and wrong was clearly established in the police academy, where he learned to detect evidence and prove a hypothesis before acting on it. This type of reason is generally lost in the ruckus of battle and the zealotry of nationalism, but Heller is uncompromising in his commitment to his neighbors and his belief in justice.

Reading The Air Raid Killer may keep you up more nights than most mysteries, breathless from the explosions and in awe of Heller’s conviction. — Gabriella Page-Fort, Editor

Monsoon Mansion by Cinelle Barnes [Genre: Memoir]
Quote:
Told with a lyrical, almost-dreamlike voice as intoxicating as the moonflowers and orchids that inhabit this world, Monsoon Mansion is a harrowing yet triumphant coming-of-age memoir exploring the dark, troubled waters of a family’s rise and fall from grace in the Philippines. It would take a young warrior to survive it.

Cinelle Barnes was barely three years old when her family moved into Mansion Royale, a stately ten-bedroom home in the Philippines. Filled with her mother’s opulent social aspirations and the gloriously excessive evidence of her father’s self-made success, it was a girl’s storybook playland. But when a monsoon hits, her father leaves, and her mother’s terrible lover takes the reins, Cinelle’s fantastical childhood turns toward tyranny she could never have imagined. Formerly a home worthy of magazines and lavish parties, Mansion Royale becomes a dangerous shell of the splendid palace it had once been.

In this remarkable ode to survival, Cinelle creates something magical out of her truth—underscored by her complicated relationship with her mother. Through a tangle of tragedy and betrayal emerges a revelatory journey of perseverance and strength, of grit and beauty, and of coming to terms with the price of family—and what it takes to grow up.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
How do you define your relationship with your mother? Was it tender and full of love? Or perhaps it was distant and confusing? The role of a mother can be complicated, and author Cinelle Barnes masterfully and tenderly depicts her mother in every facet, from small, gentle moments to the more frighteningly violent and spiteful flare-ups.

Monsoon Mansion is a memoir of Cinelle’s childhood growing up in a fairy tale of a mansion in the Philippines that becomes a nightmare when her mother remarries a politically motivated tyrant who transforms and takes over the house and their lives.

When I first heard Cinelle’s story of survival in person, I was floored. How was I sitting across from someone so brave, so resilient, so positive after all she had been through? Told with heart and grace and lyrical childlike wonder, this story takes us through intoxicating orchid gardens, dusty cock-fighting rings, the lushness of the Philippines, a bloody political coup in the jungles and mountains, and the slow decay of a mansion abandoned. Through it all, Cinelle is a young warrior who has to learn to lean on herself when her mother refuses to be that pillar for her. The story is an ode to perseverance and ingenuity, one that will make you gasp and cheer Cinelle along her journey. — Vivian Lee, Editor
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #711
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Bandwidth for me 'cause it's sci-fi
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #712
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I see 3 that look interesting this month. The Air Raid Killer , sounds like a book I have pre ordered for free a while ago. It might be a different book with the same title. I'll have to check it first. The other two would be " When Never Comes " and " It Ends with her."

Thanks newkindlefun & Manabi
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #713
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Bandwidth for me 'cause it's sci-fi
I ultimately went with it, but I was tempted by An American Princess. I'd never heard of her, and her life story sounds fascinating. Not fascinating enough for me to pay for it on top of the free book, but it was a close thing.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #714
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Might you be thinking of some of Jim McDermott's books, which seem sort of similar to me? I had to go check myself, because this one sounded really familiar to me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I see 3 that look interesting this month. The Air Raid Killer , sounds like a book I have pre ordered for free a while ago. It might be a different book with the same title. I'll have to check it first. The other two would be " When Never Comes " and " It Ends with her."

Thanks newkindlefun & Manabi

Last edited by sufue; 04-03-2018 at 08:38 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #715
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Might you be thinking of some of Jim McDermott's books, which seem sort of similar to me? I had to go check myself, because this one sounded really familiar to me too...
I know it's even more confusing now. I checked my pre order book on Amazon. It's the same book, I ordered it months ago and it was due May 1st. for $ 0.00. Then I thought since I'm getting the same book for free I'll choose one of the other books for Kindle First. I chose " When Never Comes " then I went to look up the " Air Raid Killer" book, and it changed to $4.99. still a pre order and won't get it until May 1st.

I had no idea at the time when I pre ordered " Air Raid Killer" this was months ago, that it was going to be a free selection on Kindle First as well. I wonder since they knew I was a Prime member that they put the book out for free way before it showed up for the April selection ? Either way I'm happy with the other book I selected, but it was confusing. I'm still pre ordered for" Air Raid Killer" but it's not free anymore.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #716
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I know it's even more confusing now. I checked my pre order book on Amazon. It's the same book, I ordered it months ago and it was due May 1st. for $ 0.00. Then I thought since I'm getting the same book for free I'll choose one of the other books for Kindle First. I chose " When Never Comes " then I went to look up the " Air Raid Killer" book, and it changed to $4.99. still a pre order and won't get it until May 1st.

I had no idea at the time when I pre ordered " Air Raid Killer" this was months ago, that it was going to be a free selection on Kindle First as well. I wonder since they knew I was a Prime member that they put the book out for free way before it showed up for the April selection ? Either way I'm happy with the other book I selected, but it was confusing. I'm still pre ordered for" Air Raid Killer" but it's not free anymore.
I try to use the Kindle Free selections to select something that is a little out of my 'comfort zone'. For instance, I'm big with Science Fiction, and I try to keep up with the new releases, so I might try a romance, or historical fiction, or a mystery with Kindle First; just to shake things up a bit and get rid of a few cobwebs! If I'm likely to buy it anyway, I tend not to select it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #717
Wearever
Wizard

That's a good way to go about it. I have been setting my reading challenges way off my beaten path of Mystery & History. I pick a challenge in a genre I don't usually read for one year. This year I chose Fantasy, and I'm only reading the first books if it's a series, or just a stand alone. Last year I challenged myself to read Nonfiction. I always worry when I pick a challenge genre that I won't find enough or any that I want to read. Luckily for me I have found many. Next year I may try Science Fiction. I never know which genre I'll pick until the new year. I wait till the last day to decide, I think better under pressure.

What really surprised me was how Amazon knew what I would pick for Kindle First April selection, months before I did !
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #718
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:

Sounds like their low price guarantee kicking in. Since you'd pre-ordered it, and you could chose it as your Kindle First pick this month, it dropped to free until you picked another book. Once you did pick another, the price changed to $4.99 because that's what they charge you for buying additional Kindle First selections. If the price was listed higher than $4.99 when you pre-ordered, you ended up saving money from this.

My guess is that if you hadn't picked a book this month, they would have considered your pre-order as picking Air Raid Killer and given it to you for free anyway.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #719
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Sounds like their low price guarantee kicking in. Since you'd pre-ordered it, and you could chose it as your Kindle First pick this month, it dropped to free until you picked another book. Once you did pick another, the price changed to $4.99 because that's what they charge you for buying additional Kindle First selections. If the price was listed higher than $4.99 when you pre-ordered, you ended up saving money from this.

My guess is that if you hadn't picked a book this month, they would have considered your pre-order as picking Air Raid Killer and given it to you for free anyway.
Yes that's what I think happened too.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #720
Manabi
Wizard

This month's Amazon First Reads selections are out, they are:

Lies That Bind Us by Andrew Hart [Genre: Suspense]
Quote:
From a prize-winning and New York Times bestselling author comes a chilling novel of deception under the sun…

Jan needs this. She’s flying to Crete to reunite with friends she met there five years ago and relive an idyllic vacation. Basking in the warmth of the sun, the azure sea, and the aura of antiquity, she can once again pretend—for a little while—that she belongs. Her ex-boyfriend Marcus will be among them, but even he doesn’t know the secrets she keeps hidden behind a veil of lies. None of them really know her, and that’s only part of the problem.

Then again, how well does she know them?

When Jan awakens in utter darkness, chained to a wall, a manacle around her wrist, her echoing screams only give her a sense of how small her cell is. As she desperately tries to reconstruct what happened and determine who is holding her prisoner, dread covers despair like a hand clamped over her mouth. Because, like the Minotaur in the labyrinth in Greek myth, her captor will be coming back for her, and all the lies will catch up to her…

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
There aren’t many things in life that sound more relaxing to me than a weeklong Grecian getaway with good food, good wine, and good friends. What doesn’t sound relaxing to me? Waking up in a dark room, chained to a wall, with no memory how you got there during said vacation, which is exactly the predicament the protagonist, Jan, finds herself in in Andrew Hart’s cautionary thriller, which can be best described as Paula Hawkins’s The Girl on the Train meets Emma Straub’s The Vacationers.

Lies That Bind Us is a riveting novel of suspense that deftly weaves together the rich culture and atmosphere of the Greek islands and their mythology, the fog of mystery surrounding Jan’s captivity, and the lies that led her there. Hart’s depictions are so immersive, I felt like I was there myself, experiencing first the warmth of the coastal sunshine on my skin and the taste of salt on my lips, and later the haze of confusion surrounding a trip gone very, very wrong.

This is one of those rare page-turners that you’ll find you can’t and don’t want to put down. I read it in one sitting, and even now, long after I’ve turned the last page, I still find myself thinking about the big consequences that “little white lies” can have. — Alicia Clancy, Editor

A Marriage in Dog Years by Nancy Balbirer [Genre: Memoir]
Quote:
When Nancy Balbirer learns her beloved eleven-year-old beagle has kidney failure, she’s devastated. She and her husband had gotten Ira as a puppy—a wedding gift to each other, and their first foray into “parenthood.” Now, her dog is terminal, her marriage is on life support, and Nancy is desperate to save them both (whether they want it or not). In a single year, she loses her two best friends, but Nancy’s life is about to take yet another unexpected turn.

With humor and heart, Nancy Balbirer shares her story of relationships, loss, and canine friendship in this illuminating memoir about the lengths people will go to keep love alive…and the power of finally letting go.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
At the beginning of this memoir, Nancy Balbirer’s eleven-year-old dog, Ira, is diagnosed with a terminal illness and given just days to live. Nancy’s marriage to her husband is also eleven years old—the puppy had been their wedding gift to each other, their first brush with parenthood. As it happens, Ira will go on to live twelve more months, but just as unexpectedly, those will also be the last months of the marriage; Nancy is about to lose her two best friends.

I thought I’d be weeping throughout the entire memoir, and yes, I did shed some tears, but more than anything I felt a connection to Nancy—she’s funny, grounded, and reflective. And I loved how the memoir explored the lengths to which we’ll go to keep love alive, and the power that surrender has to make us stronger, better people.

A Marriage in Dog Years isn’t just a book for dog lovers—you don’t have to be a dog owner to realize the devastation Nancy felt when she was told her pet was dying. And you don’t have to be married to understand how she must have felt when she realized her husband was seeing another woman. This is a book for people who are curious about why some couples stay together and why others don’t. It’s a beautiful, heartbreaking story and I’m thrilled to share it with you. — Carmen Johnson, Editor

The Speed of Sound by Eric Bernt [Genre: Thriller]
Quote:
In this propulsive thriller, one of the most ingenious young men in the world has also become the most dangerous…or has he?

Harmony House is more than a “special place for special people.” It’s a think tank where high-functioning autistic savants harness their unique abilities for the benefit of society. Resident Eddie Parks’s contribution is nothing less than extraordinary: an “echo box” that can re-create never-recorded sounds using acoustic archeology.

All Eddie wants is to hear his late mother’s voice. But what he’s created is inadvertently posing a threat to national security.

To Harmony House’s shadowy government backers and radical extremists, the echo box is the ultimate intelligence asset—an end to the very concept of secrecy. Now for Eddie and the compassionate Dr. Skylar Drummond, the true nature of the institution is becoming chillingly clear.

As ruthless competing enemies close in on Eddie and his miraculous machine, Skylar risks all to take him on the run. Because once that prize is won, Eddie Parks will no longer be considered a “special person” but a dangerous redundancy. An inconvenient echo that must be silenced.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
Eddie Parks just wants to hear his mother sing. But Eddie never met his mother; she died before he was born. Since he can’t rely on his memory to fill in the notes, he relies on his intellect to create an “echo box”—a machine that can replay the sounds that have been captured in the paint and in the walls themselves.

I can relate to Eddie. When my grandmother died, I wanted a piece of the wall from her living room. I was sure that I could touch it and revisit those holidays and meals shared. I wanted to keep the memories alive.

Unlike me, Eddie is surely a genius. He is not a scientist; rather, he’s a resident in a government-funded institution that works with high-functioning autistic people. And the government—and others—are watching Eddie and his echo box very closely. If he succeeds, no conversation would ever be truly private. Espionage would be as easy as opening a door and clicking a button.

To the institution and its founders, Eddie is a product. But Dr. Skylar Drummond sees Eddie for the complicated, beautiful person that he is. She understands loss and memory…and that she needs to get Eddie and his echo box as far from these people as she can.

Eric Bernt’s debut novel is a taut techno-thriller about an invention that could change the way we communicate. But the beauty of The Speed of Sound is at its heart—that simple desire we all share to hear our lost loved ones again, no matter the cost. — Jessica Tribble, Editor

Never Stop Walking by Christina Rickardsson (Author), Tara F. Chace (Translator) [Genre: Nonfiction]
Quote:
An extraordinary memoir of one woman’s fight to find her true self between the life into which she was born and the one she was given.

Christiana Mara Coelho was born into extreme poverty in Brazil. After spending the first seven years of her life with her loving mother in the forest caves outside São Paulo and then on the city streets, where they begged for food, she and her younger brother were suddenly put up for adoption. When one door closed on the only life Christiana had ever known and on the woman who protected her with all her heart, a new one opened.

As Christina Rickardsson, she’s raised by caring adoptive parents in Sweden, far from the despairing favelas of her childhood. Accomplished and outwardly “normal,” Christina is also filled with rage over what she’s lost and having to adapt to a new reality while struggling with the traumas of her youth. When her world falls apart again as an adult, Christina returns to Brazil to finally confront her past and unlock the truth of what really happened to Christiana Mara Coelho.

A memoir of two selves, Never Stop Walking is the moving story of the profound love between families and one woman’s journey from grief and loss to survival and self-discovery.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
How many of us could survive life on the streets at eight years old? What if those streets were filled with armed adults who thought nothing of rounding you up to kill you? This was real life for Christina Rickardsson in and around São Paolo, Brazil, until a local agency took the questionable step of separating Christina (age eight) and her brother (less than two) from their mother and adopting them out to a family in Sweden, half a world away. If stories like those of Cheryl Strayed or Augusten Burroughs grabbed your emotions, you’ll likely respond to Christina’s in the same way I did, with empathy and wonder at the strength of her spirit.

The story of how she acclimated and grew to love her adoptive family, the Rickardssons, and the totally foreign language and culture is gripping. An extraordinary aspect of Christina’s story is that it doesn’t end with her personal search—she’s channeled her energy into her foundation, a nonprofit that aims to address the conditions of poverty and social inequity at the root of her own experience to save other children from similar deprivation.

From the moment Christina’s story entered my life, it’s been my constant companion, unshakable. Her courage, compassion, and capacity for forgiveness are nothing short of inspirational. Her guilt and resentment over having been taken from her mother and native country battle with the gratitude for the advantages and security her new country and family afforded her. Christina could easily have turned her trauma into hostility toward her new family, toward the world, or toward herself. Instead she tackled the agonizing unearthing of her adoption records and made the brave and painful journey back to her native country in her thirties, in the hope of reuniting with her mother. — Elizabeth DeNoma, Editor

Matchmaking for Beginners by Maddie Dawson [Genre: Contemporary Fiction]
Quote:
Marnie MacGraw wants an ordinary life—a husband, kids, and a minivan in the suburbs. Now that she’s marrying the man of her dreams, she’s sure this is the life she’ll get. Then Marnie meets Blix Holliday, her fiancé’s irascible matchmaking great-aunt who’s dying, and everything changes—just as Blix told her it would.

When her marriage ends after two miserable weeks, Marnie is understandably shocked. She’s even more astonished to find that she’s inherited Blix’s Brooklyn brownstone along with all of Blix’s unfinished “projects”: the heartbroken, oddball friends and neighbors running from happiness. Marnie doesn’t believe she’s anything special, but Blix somehow knew she was the perfect person to follow in her matchmaker footsteps.

And Blix was also right about some things Marnie must learn the hard way: love is hard to recognize, and the ones who push love away often are the ones who need it most.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
As a perpetually skeptical person self-diagnosed with early-onset grumpiness, I found a cure in Matchmaking for Beginners for what was ailing me. This book’s sparkling wit and charm had me from page one. Author Maddie Dawson has a gift for conjuring up entirely original characters and plunking them down in unusual circumstances. Here we have a naive, jilted bride from the Florida suburbs, a cynical recluse hiding from life, a bunch of Brooklyn misfits, plus a stray dog named Bedford. Each find love and a place to call home—all thanks to an ornery octogenarian named Blix.

When Maddie and I first started talking about the book, it had nothing to do with any of the above. It was a completely different premise. But in the course of writing, Maddie came under the spell of Blix and couldn’t turn away. Blix has that effect on people. She’s incorrigible and irresistible.

No matter how much I tried to shake Blix’s magic, I couldn’t. She enchanted me and ultimately made me question my curmudgeonly ways. Life’s much too short to be hollering at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn, right? Thank you, Maddie, and thank you, Blix—glass now half-full! — Jodi Warshaw, Editor

True: A Novel by Karl Taro Greenfeld [Genre: Literary Fiction]
Quote:
Karl Taro Greenfeld, acclaimed author of Triburbia and Boy Alone, offers a literary coming-of-age novel that deftly and unflinchingly imagines a world where an angry teenage girl discovers the nature of the bigger game of life and what it really means to be a team player, a sister, a daughter, and a born survivor.

True has a singular path: to be the greatest soccer player of her generation. But to realize her dream, she’ll need to make the Under-17 National Team, then the Residency Program, and the ultimate: the US Women’s National Team. Otherwise she can say goodbye to the Women’s World Cup. And True will do whatever it takes to be the top girl on the field.

True has to stay focused because her family is crumbling. With the loss of her mother, True is forced to take care of her autistic younger sister while her grieving father wastes his time gambling. And high school isn’t much better. While True’s teammates are getting taller and growing up, she’s hardening around the edges, at a loss for what it means to be a typical teen girl. But when she’s in the game, the anxieties of family and fitting in just fade away. True—with her soft feet and deft first touch—can knock anyone off the ball. And more importantly, she can throw an elbow harder than anybody else. On the pitch, she’s a soccer player first, a sister second. On the pitch, she’s free.

Editor Notes:

Spoiler:
True is angry. She’s angry that her mother died giving birth to True’s autistic sister. She’s angry her grieving father spends his days gambling. She’s angry that even though she is in high school, she has to pay the bills, clean the house, and take care of her sister. And despite being the best girl vying for a spot on the US national soccer team and a chance to compete in the 1999 World Cup alongside Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain, True is angry that she is the only girl being singled out for her anger issues.

When I first read True by Karl Taro Greenfeld, I was taken aback by how brilliantly complicated and nuanced these characters are. True, the novel and the antihero, is biting, poetic, and painful. The whole time, I flipped each page, asking myself whether True will make the national team or if her anger will get the better of her. Will True find the freedom she craves, or will she be dragged down by her outsized responsibilities at home? Will she be able to protect her sister from a world desperate to take advantage—or will she destroy herself trying?

True is heart-stopping and unwavering in its depictions of a young warrior who pushes the boundaries of what it means to be a daughter, sister, and teammate. I am so excited to bring forth this breath of refreshing air to the coming-of-age canon, and I hope you will enjoy it too. — Vivian Lee, Editor
Something New: Amazon Original Stories

Amazon has added a new feature called Amazon Original Stories. These are short stories available to read for free to not only Kindle Unlimited subscribers, but all Amazon Prime members.