Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
How do you start on writing a new novel

Hello,

I am starting on writing a novel and it's been fun writing up backgrounds of all my characters and storyline. I have the basic story in my head but I really want to go through the backgrounds and backbone of the novel before actually starting to write it.

I would love to hear your stories on writing a novel. Where do you start, what have you found helpful or dreadful, some tips on writing and such.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I get an idea, and then over time it evolves in my mind. Often, I have two seperate ideas that merge.

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Best advice I ever got about writing is

Write and it will take care of itself.

Leaving it in your head lets it ferment, change, but rarely will it leave until you get it on paper. As human beings we are very good at second guessing and talking ourselves out of doing things, commit and go for it.

Don't worry too much about backgrounds and the size of the protangonists domains, think room of requirement and just tell your story.

Good luck and welcome to the journey.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I get an idea, and then over time it evolves in my mind. Often, I have two seperate ideas that merge.

Randy
Similar to how I did my nanowrimo.

Basic idea, and then it mushroomed all on its lonesome .... with me tagging along for the ride.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
Best advice I ever got about writing is

Write and it will take care of itself.

Leaving it in your head lets it ferment, change, but rarely will it leave until you get it on paper. As human beings we are very good at second guessing and talking ourselves out of doing things, commit and go for it.

Don't worry too much about backgrounds and the size of the protangonists domains, think room of requirement and just tell your story.

Good luck and welcome to the journey.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
That's what seems to be happening with my short story I am currently writing. Today I just kept writing until I noticed how great job I did with the beginning of the story. And it just came out from some where without much effort.
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
And it just came out from some where without much effort.
You mean there were no beads of blood on your forehead?
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Once I have the story developed in my mind (it gets to where it's like a movie I can run), I list out the scenes then start writing.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I usually just start with a sentence that has come to me. I don't know what the story might be about or where it's going. Sometimes I do have an idea, but I try not to think about it too much before I begin. I have tried doing this, outlining characters and a plot and trying to map the whole thing out, and then somehow, I just can't write it.

So I write organically. After a chapter or so, I usually get stuck, and then I find that if I go back and try to understand the characters, do life histories, understand what motivates them, then I am able to move on with the story. I find I need to understand two things -- what the character wants, and what the character needs.

If I plan the whole thing, I feel like I've already written it, and then I don't want to write it. It holds no interest for me.

The book in my signature was written from beginning to end, day by day, with no work on characters or plot. I simply made it up as I went.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
I usually just start with a sentence that has come to me. I don't know what the story might be about or where it's going.
So basically you know the ending to your story as well as we do?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
You mean there were no beads of blood on your forehead?
No signs of keyboard marks.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
So basically you know the ending to your story as well as we do?
Yes, but I usually work out what the ending is by the time I'm getting into the story, maybe around the halfway mark. Other times I know earlier or later.

I really think writing is a partly subconscious process: sure, you're making it up, but there's something else going on as well, and it's quite amazing the way all the elements come together as you go. The pieces all seem to fit, though often you have to go back and change or put in things that are needed for the story to work.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't worry too much about plotting, because I know I'll go off in new and strange directions no matter what the outline says.

I use Freemind to storyboard ideas, then import the outline into my writing software and take it from there.

Don't get hung up on writing every scene in order. You can always paste in a short description if you don't feel like writing that part of the novel yet.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
spaze
Addict

Really good tips here, thanks guys
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
No worries... Now get writing!
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
spaze
Addict

I am, I am Just about to finnish the first chapter.