Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
My Kindle Oasis Has Arrived

...and I am loving it!

I don't know why I got it a day early, but I am sure not complaining.

I got the WiFi-only Oasis with the Merlot cover. Very pretty color, BTW (and the leather smells fabulous!) I've put all my books on it that I had on my Voyage and it's now charging while I type this.

There is NO USB plug on the cover; the only charge port is on the Oasis itself.

The device is very comfortable to hold and the rotation to switch hands is nearly instantaneous. I do not see/can not find an option to turn off the rotation. That doesn't bother me, but I know some were wondering about it.

The page turn buttons are nice and springy and DO make a sound. It's not loud, but there. However, I'm pretty sure it's not going to bother me as it's a very soft sound. The page turns are very quick (there is an option in Settings to refresh w/every turn, I've never had the option turned on before and I'll not use it here).

The screen is very crisp and clear. Here is the Oasis next to my Voyage, both using Bookerly font on the fourth size setting. Both are also set at 18 for lighting cause, during the day, I find that's where I like it best. Oh, and line spacing on both is set for the narrowest space between the lines with the smallest margins.

It does come with the new Amazon Ember font. I like this font and I may just keep using it. Here it is:

I know it was expensive and that I was probably crazy to get the Oasis when I already have the Voyage. But, the ergonomics of the Oasis's wedge shape cannot be denied; it's a very comfortable thing to hold. That, coupled with the physical page turn buttons and the accelerometer to flip orientation, tells me that I have made an excellent buying choice. Which is precisely what I hoped!

THIS is the reader I had hoped the Voyage would be!

Now, off to read (and yes, I'm currently reading a "cotton candy for the brain" book). Happy reading!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Smile Nice report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
...and I am loving it!

Now, off to read (and yes, I'm currently reading a "cotton candy for the brain" book). Happy reading!

Marilyn
Thanks for the report! No need to feel guilty. I call these "bubblegum" books.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Glad you're happy with it and yay for getting it early.

Enjoy!
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Appreciate the early report! I like that Ember (also preferred san serif to serif, when it comes to reading onscreen). I have been mostly listening to audiobooks these days - started the habit when I moved back in 2012 so I could clean/pack/clean/unpack. I'm not sure, for the amount of actual reading I'm doing, that I could justify the price. My current readers are feeling neglected enough.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I thought the Ember font was the font for the Home Page.

Is there an actual Ember font that one can choose to read on?

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Congrats for your new reader!

Please one question. Have you noticed more contrast in kindle oasis than it in kindle voyage.

Thanks in advanced.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Kindle Oasis Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I thought the Ember font was the font for the Home Page.

Is there an actual Ember font that one can choose to read on?

Thanks.

Yes. Amazon Ember is a selectable font style in the Aa font area. I didn't see if another font was removed, but there are seven fonts to choose from: Baskerville, Bookerly, Helvetica, Palatino, Amazon Ember, Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Congrats for your new reader!

Please one question. Have you noticed more contrast in kindle oasis than it in kindle voyage.

Thanks in advanced.

TBH, I've not really noticed a difference. I didn't ever really see screen imperfections on the Voyage. If I stared at it, I could see some shading and maybe blotches but nothing that ever affected my reading. I can tell you I don't see any variations in the Oasis. It's a very uniform white (at 18 light setting).

Cool thing I didn't mention before is that the battery settings (percentage and battery icon) for both the cover and the Oasis are in the quick settings view (there remains the reader icon in the status bar of the Oasis.

Marilyn
Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Yes. Amazon Ember is a selectable font style in the Aa font area. I didn't see if another font was removed, but there are seven fonts to choose from: Baskerville, Bookerly, Helvetica, Palatino, Amazon Ember, Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed.
FWIW, comparing that list to my PW1, Futura is gone. Given that Ember appears to be a better Futura, I can't see people complaining. (Well, actually, on *this* site I suspect there will be a movement starting soon swearing to abjure Amazon and all its works for such a terrible sin. But personally I can't see the loss. Not that I ever used Futura anyway.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
So, compared with newer Kindles the OpenDyslexic font is also missing.

I'm curious what firmware version the Oasis ships with. (If it is not 5.7.4 then it will probably automatically update itself sometime soon.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Did you load all the books on the Oasis via Calibre? Just checking to be sure Calibre recognizes the new device.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Mickey330
Addict

Huh. The Oasis firmware is 5.7.1.1. I'm out right now, so I don't know if there is an update for it. Seems a bit behind, compared to the others.

I downloaded the books from the cloud. I only use Calibre as my library. If I have a non-Amazon book, I'll use send to Kindle to get it on.

Marilyn
Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
1. Can you verify that the auto adjust function for the light is missing from the Oasis?
2. Please post photos of the front/back of the Merlot cover?
3. How does it feel when reading with the cover on?
4. If you fold the cover back while reading, will the magnet hold it onto the back of the device, like the current origami cover does on the Voyage?

Thanks
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I expect calibre will recognize it automatically.

The device detection uses USB IDs, and Amazon has reused the same ones for every Kindle since the K2 (and skipping the DX) if I remember correctly.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
So, compared with newer Kindles the OpenDyslexic font is also missing.

I'm curious what firmware version the Oasis ships with. (If it is not 5.7.4 then it will probably automatically update itself sometime soon.)
Oasis 5.7.4 is available for download and 'manual' update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I wonder if the 5.7.4 update will bring the Oasis font set in sync with the fonts in the 5.7.4 firmware on other devices or if it will continue to differ.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote