Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #121
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not for side loading as the series info has to be filled in the database. You cannot do it while side loading without Calibre.
Geek1011's seriesmeta.exe utility can also handle placing the series info on a Kobo ereader. Not the fastest tool but it does work quite well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #122
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do wish someone would handle sideloading series and shelves data on the Nook.

But then, I know nothing about coding and the amount of work involved, and if wishes were fishes...
As I understand some of the discussions, Kobo exposes the database over the USB connection while Nook and Kindle do not. Hard to update what you can't locate.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #123
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Not for side loading as the series info has to be filled in the database. You cannot do it while side loading without Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think you don't understand what John F posted.
+1 ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I do wish someone would handle sideloading series and shelves data on the Nook.

But then, I know nothing about coding and the amount of work involved, and if wishes were fishes...
For all we know, the nook could be like the Kindle and collections are locked down so outside software cannot do anything with them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As I understand some of the discussions, Kobo exposes the database over the USB connection while Nook and Kindle do not. Hard to update what you can't locate.
Quote:
For all we know, the nook could be like the Kindle and collections are locked down so outside software cannot do anything with them.
I'd assumed it was lack of interest in Nooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #126
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'd assumed it was lack of interest in Nooks.
It might be. It could also be that no-one with the appropriate skills and interest has a Nook. But, at this point, I think it is more likely that someone has looked and found there was nothing they could do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Amazon used to be more open in the beginning. But because of people deleting files they should not and then having to call Amazon for support, Amazon took that away.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #128
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
As others have stated, Kindle isn't necessarily the best, all e-readers have their advantages. I've seen a lot of bias in reviews, where it's so obvious it seems mentioned every paragraph. Many Kobo reviews can't be done without comparing to Amazon, or saying oh by Amazon also does this, which shows bias and not reviewing the device on its own. A shame really, but Amazon really does dominate the U.S. market.

I'm a Kindle user myself. I'd like a Kobo sometime but can't justify the money at this time since I'm low income and consider these side toys that I don't actually "need" more of at this time. I love Calibre, but I'm a heavy KU user and tied into the Amazon ecosystem with multiple devices and accounts, so I splitting my attention between both a Kindle and Kobo doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 06-12-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #129
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Many Kobo reviews can't be done without comparing to Amazon, or saying oh by Amazon also does this, which shows bias and not reviewing the device on its own.
But some features need the comparison between the two companies. Specifically, the wireless delivery option for non-Amazon books. It would be hard to explain it fully, for a newbie, without mentioning Amazon.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #130
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
The short answer to the original question is:

Yes...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #131
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
But some features need the comparison between the two companies. Specifically, the wireless delivery option for non-Amazon books. It would be hard to explain it fully, for a newbie, without mentioning Amazon.
Sure, but I'm referring more to when they are talking about a selling point of Kobo and then seem to, in the same paragraph, put in the aside that the Kindle also does the same thing in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of way. Not all reviews are this biased, but I've certainly seen a few that are this obvious.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #132
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I find KOBO better in many ways, more customization, reading stats, 10x better battery life, and thumbnail images actually show up.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
The short answer to the original question is:

Yes...
The correct answer to the original question is...

no.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:09 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Sure, but I'm referring more to when they are talking about a selling point of Kobo and then seem to, in the same paragraph, put in the aside that the Kindle also does the same thing in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of way. Not all reviews are this biased, but I've certainly seen a few that are this obvious.
Take a look at the video reviews done by GoodEReader when they compare Kobo to Kindle. They make the Kobo look terrible and play up the Kindle. Biased towards the Kindle for sure. They take an eBook and setup the Kobo so it looks like the Kindle as if there's no real difference when reading. It's rubbish of the stinkiest order.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:09 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I find KOBO better in many ways, more customization, reading stats, 10x better battery life, and thumbnail images actually show up.
And Kobo costs less.