Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Font relative sizes

Hi all !

I've recently been experimenting with fonts. I've been reading in Times New Roman for years, and recently tried bookerly (I'm loving those italics !)

I noticed, tho, that when switch from one to the other, the text size varies by a lot. I usually go for about 20 to 22 lines per page, but when going from times to bookerly i need to scale font down by 4 or 5 notches to get a similar size.

Is there a way to specify some sort of "factor" or "base size" for each font ?
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
strange. I don't use TNR but in my experience, bookerly is one of the smaller fons. e.g. after sideloading it to tablet or to a Kobo reader, then if i switch from a standard device default serif to bookerly, its a bit smaller. also bookerly is just a little bit smaller than Caecelia also.
you don't say what device you are using for your compares - maybe that is a factor
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which firmware version firmware are you running? Are you reading in ePub or KePub? If it is KePub, ry reading in ePub and see how that works. I've switched between fonts (including Bookerly) and I've hod no problem with the font sizes. This is with reading ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using a KoboGlo HD. Firmware 4.20.14622

Both Times and Bookerly were manually loaded.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simboubou View Post
I'm using a KoboGlo HD. Firmware 4.20.14622

Both Times and Bookerly were manually loaded.
in the same format e.g. .TTF ? if you mix .TTF and .OTF then that's an additional complication

and NB you don't actually own either of those fonts

my bookerly fonts on Kobo and android tablets [ for my own use only ] are .ttf format, copied from amazon devices which i own ( but even such copying is probably not 100% legal)

TNR is licensed to you by microsoft for use in Windows only , as part of your windows licence ?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Yeah, I know it's not exactly legal. But I found links to download bookerly right here in a mobileread topic about fonts, so I thought font discussions were okay (not epub piracy ones, obviously).

If I was wrong, I guess we should remove this thread. Sorry !
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is a set of core MS Windows fonts that Microsoft licences generally, which includes TNR.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, I know it's not exactly legal. But I found links to download bookerly right here in a mobileread topic about fonts, so I thought font discussions were okay (not epub piracy ones, obviously).

If I was wrong, I guess we should remove this thread. Sorry !
i think we are ok. if not , the firing squad will show up shortly
Old 03-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Hi all !

I've recently been experimenting with fonts. I've been reading in Times New Roman for years, and recently tried bookerly (I'm loving those italics !)

I noticed, tho, that when switch from one to the other, the text size varies by a lot. I usually go for about 20 to 22 lines per page, but when going from times to bookerly i need to scale font down by 4 or 5 notches to get a similar size.

Is there a way to specify some sort of "factor" or "base size" for each font ?
Anyway I fear the answer is NO

with libre office I see the difference among various font, so I'm not surprised if it happens also with my Kobo.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Ah, indeed. If it happens in Libre Office, I suppose it's the normal and expected behavior. Thanks !
Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, your hunch was correct.

It's more complex that that in practice (there are more metrics involved), but this is what will affect relative font sizes the most.

Because things are more complex, tweaking that without mangling some obscure or not so obscure parts of the font is... non-trivial.

(Conventions between TTF and (Type 1) CFF vary, but I don't remember the details. Fontforge complains if you try to do something stupid. Which most TTF fonts do anyway).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TNR.png
Views:	108
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	178071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookerly.png
Views:	98
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	178072  
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote