Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
newshirt
newshirt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Critique my first audiobook recording?

Would anyone care to critique my first recording? (see link below) I hope to begin uploading to ACX soon, but need to ensure my performance is good enough. Got any input?

BTW, I wrote this book, and will be recording it myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce7euaiedz3rc6t/ch3.mp3?dl=0
newshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It sounds fine to me. A little more than a straight reading, but not overdone.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
newshirt
newshirt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any other comments? Observations?
newshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Because you've given no context, no blurb of any kind, I'm not sure whether the tone of voice is "in character". If this is the case, he comes across as overbearing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to soft asmr readings, but I found it a bit 'shouty'. You'd be great at reading something like Huck Finn.

Some context would be useful.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I have an atavistic antipathy to audiobooks (possibly because I have an even more averse reaction to asmr) but as an exercise, I listened to your sample. I found it nicely balanced, agreeing with the comment above "A little more than a straight reading, but not overdone." Since it is said that praise from one's enemy may be more valuable than that from a friend, have this audiobook anti-fan's "well done"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By asmr, do you mean

Quote:
Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is an experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck...
?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
By asmr, do you mean
?
I do, or more specifically, to recordings made with the intent of triggering asmr. The previous respondent's comment that they are used to asmr recordings made me wonder if that might be why I dislike audiobooks so intensely. Every time I listen to/watch recordings made to give an asmr effect, it's like chalk scraped across a chalkboard for me, I can't stand more thana few seconds' worth. If many audiobooks ae made with the itnent of triggering asmr, the reason for my aversion is clear.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I do, or more specifically, to recordings made with the intent of triggering asmr. The previous respondent's comment that they are used to asmr recordings made me wonder if that might be why I dislike audiobooks so intensely. Every time I listen to/watch recordings made to give an asmr effect, it's like chalk scraped across a chalkboard for me, I can't stand more thana few seconds' worth. If many audiobooks ae made with the itnent of triggering asmr, the reason for my aversion is clear.
I had no idea people were recording audiobooks with that purpose.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I had no idea people were recording audiobooks with that purpose.
Neither did I, but the previous commenter said
Quote:
"I'm used to soft asmr readings"
so I assume they must be quite common.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Would anyone care to critique my first recording? (see link below) I hope to begin uploading to ACX soon, but need to ensure my performance is good enough. Got any input?

BTW, I wrote this book, and will be recording it myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce7euaiedz3rc6t/ch3.mp3?dl=0
Disclaimer: I only listened to a short segment from the middle.

Okay, I listen to 1000s of hours of audiobooks and pay professional narrators to produce mine which I help edit. So I guess that makes me an "expert" in this. So here are my thoughts:

For a straight read, you did very well. It is clear and your diction is good. You have done well in eliminating background noise and the overall technical quality of the sound is good.

However, what you did not do is perform. Unless this is non-fiction, readers typically expect voice actors. They expect emotion in the dialog. They expect volume and pitch to change like it would if it was on stage. They also expect different people to sound at least a little different so that they know who is talking without having to wait for the "said Bob" to tell them. In writing the format of the text gives them those clues, in audio, you have to do that with your voice.

So it comes down to your goal. Do you want to read this like a non-fiction book, or like audio entertainment? If the former, then carry on - you are nailing it. If the latter, well I would scrub that take and try again.

Voice acting is HARD. I have considered doing my own books many times since the price ranges into the many thousands to produce just one book but man it is HARD to do well. For a professional, the rule of thumb is that you can count on 4 to 7 hours of work to produce 1 finished hour of audio. That should give you an idea of the scale of the task you take on by doing it yourself.

Not saying that you should not do it, just trying to help you understand what you are taking on.

Good luck!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Get ready for the chalk scraped down the blackboard. This is an example of an asmr reading, done by me years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zTk9CBL4cU

It's intended to send you to sleep, or at least help you to unwind.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Thanks for the offer, but since I'm not the sort who tests to see if the paint really IS wet, and because asmr makes me feel physically and mentally sick, I'll pass
Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but since I'm not the sort who tests to see if the paint really IS wet, and because asmr makes me feel physically and mentally sick, I'll pass

Sorry!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Nothing to see here, anymore.

The link's a 404 and his supposed need for opinions a drive-by and his contribution nil.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, critique