Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
FranzG
FranzG began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Big PDFs and readers

Hello guys,

as everyone on this forum, I'm looking for tips before buying my new e-book reader.

I own a Sony PRS-505, but unfortunately it cannot cope anymore with my needs:

- my library consists mainly of pdf, usually quite big (100+mb), with maps/pictures

- I should be able to take notes, highlight and copy/paste sentences, and if possible a way to reach Wikipedia to collect more info (even only wifi is good)

- dimension is not a problem, and I'm quite sure that with the kind of books I'm reading (very little old fonts usually), big screens are better.

At the moment, I'm evaluating the following:
- Kindle DX. PRO: E-ink it's easy on the eyes, big screen and wifi/3G. CONS: A bit too expansive (more than 450$ to ship it to Italy) and I read that it doesn't work well with big PDFs.

- iPad (or similar tablet). PRO: full internet capability, big screen, no problems with pdf. CONS: not really easy to upload files on it, expensive (Galaxy for 600$??), no e-ink (but I've never tried to read for 2-3 hours on a tablet, so I don't know how bad it is on the eyes).

- Notebook/Netbook. PRO: a full pc with keyboard, easy to take notes and no problems with any kind of files. CONS: I've already an iPhone and I usually travel with my work laptop, I don't need another one; retro-illumination.

Am I missing some other product that will fit with my needs?
What you guys can suggest me?

Thank you very much for your help!

Franz
FranzG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_902.html
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
FranzG

Thank you Ankh.

Does that reader work well with pdf?

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot buy it from the shop (not available) and I haven't seen it in shops are in Italy. Other suggestions?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
PossenteSpirto
PossenteSpirto began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for my first (PB 902)
Hi Franz, PB readers are available for preorder from the german shop, the 902 will ship on Nov 1, the 903 on nov 15.

I have similar needs (except taking notes) and I've recently made my little research. Here are some noob-notes (whatever they're worth):

Kindle DX - no wifi, only Amazon's 3G: you are limited to Amazon and Wikipedia (actually some people in EU claim to be able to surf anywhere for free, but surely Amazon will take care of it soon); I'd suggest you to read carefully the terms of service and the pricing policy (i. e. if you ever need to download one of your 100MB files via 'cloud' it will cost you 99$). Another least advertised feature is DELETED But hey, it has a gorgeous Pearl screen!
If you decide to buy it anyway, I suggest you to pay it in $: you'll save about 25-30€ (depends on the exchange rate of your credit card, but it's generally lower than Amazon's) you can check it yourself placing the order in € - without confirming, eh eh - then in $.

Pocketbook 902/903: as you can see in my stats, it's been my choice (among many hesitations), the only con i can see for you is the absence of a physical keyboard. I have no idea (yet) how the virtual keyboard works.

Tablet: an alternative to the iPad is the upcoming (?) Notion Ink Adam. The PixelQi screen will cost an extra 100$ and it eliminates the backlighting, not the flickering. Not an eyestrain killer, but more open than the iPad.

My 2¢...

Greets

Last edited by PossenteSpirto; 11-02-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: deleted a controversial link
PossenteSpirto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossenteSpirto View Post
I'd suggest you to read carefully the terms of service and the pricing policy (i. e. if you ever need to download one of your 100MB files via 'cloud' it will cost you 99$).
I don't think that is quite accurate If you want to convert your PDF by emailing it to @kindle.com then yes, it costs .99c per MB outside the US. However, if you can access that PDF via the web (i.e. via drop box or something) then you can download it straight from the web and it will be free. Albeit slow over 3G. To be honest, for those size PDFs I would suggest loading directly onto the Kindle DX using USB (free).

I have the Kindle DX after getting the Kindle 3, thinking the Kindle DX (latest gen) was essentially the Kindle 3 with a large screen - it really isn't. The web browser on the DX is terrible, no annotating or dictionary lookup in PDFs either.

Still, the screen is the best I have seen. I walked out of an Apple shop without an iPad despite the fact my wife had her purse out to buy one simply because of the screen.

The other disappointment is the lack of Wi-fi on the Kindle DX. With the Kindle 3 I use calibre to email all my RSS feeds to free.kindle.com and they magically appear (over wi-fi) on the Kindle 3. No such luck with Kindle DX.

I would recommend getting one now and desperately hoping they upgrade the firmware (which seems to be the popular consensus) or wait until after Christmas. I expect the choice will be much much greater after Christmas.

If it helps, I am keeping my Kindle DX which cost around £350 in after shipping from the US.

Last edited by yatesco; 10-27-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: my teribel spellllling
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzG View Post
Thank you Ankh.

Does that reader work well with pdf?
Can't say. What I know of the reader is from that page. What I know about the PocketBook company is that their customer are very satisfied, and that software easily competes for the best package running on eInk platforms.

The size and resolution of the screen is sufficient to display an average PDF page. If the PDF is made with 3 pt font, though... Zoom in and out is not so fast on eInk screens.

There is a subforum dedicated to Pocketbook readers, right here on Mobile Read. I have no doubt that if you ask, someone there will give you a detailed first hand experience with PDF's on that platform.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
FranzG

Thank you guys, I'll check these Pocketbooks!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Also the nook color should be thrown in the mix as well
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I'd seriously take a look at the iPad. Your con about uploading files to it is mistaken. It's extremely easy to upload pdfs.

If you're wanting to read large PDF, likely with color, it's a great device. E-ink devices have their uses but they can't compare to a tablet's versatility of that format. Plus, it can be used for so many other things its price is more than fair.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
cate
cate began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm in the same position - wanting a device to read research papers on. I was holding out for the Asus 900, but that seems to have vanished.
I've definitely considered the iPad, but £500 is a lot of money for something that might end up giving me eyestrain (which is why I want one of these things in the first place - reading on my computer at work gives me a headache. Every day.). For what it's worth, I've been told the iPad is nowhere near as bad for that as a PC monitor, but I haven't been able to try one out for any length of time.
cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cate View Post
I'm in the same position - wanting a device to read research papers on. I was holding out for the Asus 900, but that seems to have vanished.
same here - academic wishing to read (and annotate) on as large a display as possible. Re Asus DR-900, apparently is going to be out in TAiwan at the end of November:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/asus-dr...es-22-10-2010/

Still, I am thinking of pre-ordering the PB903, if only somebody could confirm the note taking potential of the PB903...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Another least advertised feature is the limit of the number of downloads of Amazon ebooks. But hey, it has a gorgeous Pearl screen!
This information is just plain wrong. Many Kindle books are limited to the number of devices that they can be downloaded to at any given time. You can deregister any of these devices from your Amazon account to get your licenses back and put it on new devices. I have downloaded wirelessly a couple of my Kindle books numerous times without issue.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
PossenteSpirto

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesco View Post
I don't think that is quite accurate If you want to convert your PDF by emailing it to @kindle.com then yes, it costs .99c per MB outside the US. However, if you can access that PDF via the web (i.e. via drop box or something) then you can download it straight from the web and it will be free.
Pity neither Amazon nor Wikipedia provide dropboxes.
But you're right, it's not accurate: you can't download a 100 MB file that way, the limit is 50. If Franz has followed my advice he's already discovered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
This information is just plain wrong. Many Kindle books are limited to the number of devices that they can be downloaded to at any given time. You can deregister any of these devices from your Amazon account to get your licenses back and put it on new devices. I have downloaded wirelessly a couple of my Kindle books numerous times without issue.
The page I linked says clearly the same thing, and says so clearly what the problem is (or may be, it's up to Franz to decide).

@Franz: It seems there will be a third eink option soon. link (in italian).

Cheers.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:

The page I linked says clearly the same thing, and says so clearly what the problem is (or may be, it's up to Franz to decide).

Cheers.
Not really, you have to read down into the comments section to find that the story itself is misleading, and you used a misleading quote to link to the story. If you have an ACTUAL reason to dissuade someone from purchasing a Kindle DX that's just fine, you don't need to make things up.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
PossenteSpirto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Not really, you have to read down into the comments section to find that the story itself is misleading, and you used a misleading quote to link to the story. If you have an ACTUAL reason to dissuade someone from purchasing a Kindle DX that's just fine, you don't need to make things up.
Oh.
I've told already who I am: a noob.
As a noob, I'm focused exclusively on the substance, and I leave the whole concepts of leading/misleading, persuading/dissuading to advertisers.
The article I linked says, in substance: there's a limit of downloads you can simultaneously keep on your devices, this number may vary (generally 6 but could be 3, 2 or even 1) and (here comes the problem) you can't know it before you buy the book.
Other people claimed it's correct.
Connalmac says it's not.
I don't really know whether is it or not.
THEREFORE:
Link deleted. End of the problem. Buy whatever you want, who cares.
AND:
My apologies to those I've unintentionally misled.
AND:
I promise I'll stick to my noob-business in the future.

Ciao ciao.