Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
About "moderating" JSWolf

(continuing from thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68909 )

I read JSWolf's comments in many threads, and while I agree that they're usually harshly (and concisely) formulated, they always have a point.

Unfortunately, lately most of those comments are commented by HarryT, in a manner that sounds to me as if he was pointing and saying 'it's just a troll, please ignore him, don't pay attention". Well, it's not. Such additional "moderating" makes people ignore valid questions and points stated by Jon, and I don't belive it's a good thing.

Of course, I may be in a small minority with such outlook on this situation, but I believe that when I'm wrong, I would prefer to be a target of such pointy comment, and be able to discuss it, than to be ignored.

EDIT: To add to comments from previous thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Krystian, do you think that Jon isn't old and smart enough to defend himself?
Perhaps he doesn't feel he needs to. I'm just stating the case from my own point of view. As long as the arguments are on topic, and not directed at other people, why interfere?

Of course, you might be getting reports and feel you should, but in quite a few threads lately, were those all reports?

Quote:
You're obviously using this to voice your discontent!
Well, yes, of course. I feel that in a mild discussion sometimes a strong opinion is a good way to wake people up, and Jon does that well.

Last edited by Krystian Galaj; 01-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that JSWolf's post was appropriate, and implying that it was trolling was inaccurate and heavy handed.
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I read JSWolf's comments in many threads, and while I agree that they're usually harshly (and concisely) formulated, they always have a point.
Well, that particular remark was useless, sorry, and a bit off topic.

Then, it seam everyone a bit on the edge these days, and need to cool off.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Then, it seam everyone a bit on the edge these days, and need to cool off.
Perhaps you are right - I certainly am today
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Another point is that I think you should assume that all comments comments are personal comments and not moderator comments unless explicitly stated. It has annoyed me a bit that it is hard to see if a moderator comments as a moderator or not.
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Another point is that I think you should assume that all comments comments are personal comments and not moderator comments unless explicitly stated. It has annoyed me a bit that it is hard to see if a moderator comments as a moderator or not.
Well, you have a point there! Maybe we should use a clearer way to state when we are speaking as a moderator!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
My feeling is that this that Jon expresses himself very concisely and forcefully, and that this is often interpreted less than favourably, though many of Jon's comments are ironic or humorous in intention.
However, when HarryT responds in kind, with a terse comment, more people are annoyed. I'm sure that the post in question was intended as gentle humour.
But is is difficult to gauge the tone of a post sometimes, isn't it?
I suppose that the moral is that we all ought to be more careful.

Tompe: you make a fair point, and I'll raise it in the moderators' corner. However, I sometimes make a quiet suggestion about reading the posting guidelines without mentioning that I'm a moderator. The reason is that I don't want to be heavy-handed. Jumping in and saying "I'm a moderator: behave, or else" just seems a bit crude when a gentle hint would suffice, I think.

(For anyone who hasn't yet noticed, the moderators' names appear in green.)
Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've seen Dr. Drib and netseek specifically sign a post as "Moderator" when they have to put the chastising hat on. Others may be doing that as well but I've specifically noticed those two.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I'm not a moderator but I've been looking the threads about Bookeen devices and I have to say it's a bit annoying. Perhaps not in that post, but when you read ten posts from Jon saying all the time the same *mocking* Bookeen is bad, Bookeen is bar*end mocking*, you grow tired.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've seen Dr. Drib and netseek specifically sign a post as "Moderator" when they have to put the chastising hat on. Others may be doing that as well but I've specifically noticed those two.
I was just thinking of bringing up this same point, daffy. You beat me to it.

I agree, that having that little word "moderator" in the post makes a difference on how I interpret their post.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post

Unfortunately, lately most of those comments are commented by HarryT, in a manner that sounds to me as if he was pointing and saying 'it's just a troll, please ignore him, don't pay attention".
C'mon. "Go back under the bridge" could mean anything.

Seriously though, JSWolf appears to like blunt communication. If a moderator was harassing some super-polite soul who couldn't even get insulted without responding with a "thank you", that might be out of line. But there was no display of power that I noticed, just one poster engaging another on the other's terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan
Perhaps not in that post, but when you read ten posts from Jon saying all the time the same *mocking* Bookeen is bad, Bookeen is bar*end mocking*, you grow tired.
That kind of pattern actually does resemble trolling, EVEN if the poster has a point, constantly badgering other users with it is troll behavior. You don't have to post without a point to be a troll.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Blunt communication, while not for some, is a style I generally appreciate. I like facts laid out in front of me, and without lots of fluff. That said, harping on the same thing, over and over, with no productive input is trolling whether or not it is done with a hammer or a feather.

Last edited by chainring; 01-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
One learns to live with opinionated people and that's fine when you have time for it. If you don't, do something else or ignore them.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hello Krystian,

You're obviously feeling discontent right now, but please, out of respect for the members and the moderators involved, let's not have public discussions or questions about a moderator or his or her actions.

If you don't understand or agree with a moderator's actions or comments, send a private message to that moderator or another moderator that you trust. Your complaints and suggestions are welcome and will help us improve the MR forums.

Alexander

Thread closed
Closed Thread