Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
mirakix
Enthusiast
mirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-700
Where's the (Kindle) used ebook store

As time with my Sony PRS-700 goes by and I have purchased quite some books, I am pretty upset not to be able to sell/trade/give away my 'used' ebooks.

Browsing the web I found this inspiring and interesting article by Jeremy Toemann used ebook store

a discussion about reselling eboooks can be found here

We, as a community should make an effort and contact our ebook stores and puplishers on this matter. What do you think?!

Bestest,
Mira
mirakix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This really has been "done to death". Mira. If you do a search on the subject, you'll find all sorts of posts on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Thanks for the links, Mira. As Harry said, there has been a lot discussion of this topic. But that doesn't necessarily mean we should be quick to dismiss the subject. It's obviously still a problem in many people's minds.

I read the article by Toemann and, though I don't pretend to be an expert in this topic, I think he has new and constructive ideas.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Mira, here's a relevant article today on teleread that you might be interested in. Also mentions MR!

http://www.teleread.org/2009/07/17/y...-amazon-ebooks

This is the concept that I think has not been made clear to folks, or that they prefer not to accept: you don't "buy" e-books from Amazon, you "rent" them.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
This is the concept that I think has not been made clear to folks, or that they prefer not to accept: you don't "buy" e-books from Amazon, you "rent" them.
I believe that is false, at least in the US. The courts have already ruled on this issue. If there is no expectation by the user that the content needs to be returned, then it is a sale. The only way that Amazon (or whoever) can legally get away with making it a "rental" or a "license" instead of a sale is if they make it clear upfront that your access is temporary and will expire after a specific time.

When you check out eBooks from a library, and they tell you that you only have access for X number of weeks until the DRM expires, then that is a rent/license. When you "buy" an eBook from Amazon with no mention of expiration or time limit on the DRM, then you own that copy of the eBook. Whatever Amazon wants to call it after wards is irrelevant.

Both the music and software industries have already tried that "sale vs license" argument in the courts, and have lost. With the software industry the case was specifically about the exact same argument of reselling DRM content, and they lost. The publishing industry is no different.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
One thing that isn't helping is the big orange button you click to "rent" e-books from Amazon. It says "Buy now with 1-Click."

Somebody really ought to fix that.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote