Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #31
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
As another suggestion, could ipdf be hacked so that one could select text (in a text-based PDF file) and save its location in the scribble file, then search for it later? Sort of a "bookmarks-lite". Later, if merged, they could turn into real bookmarks, but meanwhile at least one would be able to mark passages on the iLiad and find them again.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #32
gmt
gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex
Variation on the All-in-one ipdf (latest version for 10.2)

Attached is the source and a binary. I have deliberately only included src/*.cpp, src/ipdf and inc/*.h - so in order to make sense of it, the All-in-one ipdf must be downloaded first, then unzip and untar this in the base directory. I don't want to end up supporting ipdf, except through the current developers - but I would be very happy to provide anything they would want in order for them to include these mods.

The changes are for my benefit, so will probably not agree with various others! I have only changed the short button presses (long ones remain as previously documented):

Up arrow short press - if in scribble mode, go out of scribble mode, if not in scribble mode, navigate to previous link/page

Down arrow short press - if in scribble mode, go out of scribble mode, if not in scribble mode, navigate to next link/page

Dot short press - if not in scribble mode, go into scribble mode (and display scribbles), if in scribble mode, toggle between thin black line (for comments) and thick grey line (for highlights)

Scribbles are now also blended rather than written over the pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ipdf-forediting.tar.gz (632.0 KB, 420 views)
gmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question: what does "scribbles are blended" mean -- is it that if you write with a broad pen and a light color over text, you'll still be able to see the text, whereas before the text would have been obscured by the scribble? (And does that just mean you put the scribbles behind the text, instead of in front of the text? Would an opaque image then be non-scribbleable?)
Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #34
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
v2.11 will include back/forward navigation with toolbar icons.

The blending scribbles sounds quite interesting, any screenshots?
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #35
gmt
gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gmt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

By blended, I mean that GTK_AND is used in the graphics context - so black scribble looks the same as before, and lighter scribble will have text/pictures visible through it. It doesn't matter if the pictures are transparent or opaque.

I'd happily do some screen shots, but not sure how to on the Illiad ...
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 05:38 AM   #36
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt View Post
By blended, I mean that GTK_AND is used in the graphics context - so black scribble looks the same as before, and lighter scribble will have text/pictures visible through it. It doesn't matter if the pictures are transparent or opaque.

I'd happily do some screen shots, but not sure how to on the Illiad ...
Search the developer forum for a program called fbshot.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #37
gmt

No trouble compiling fbshot, but trouble ssh'ing into the Iliad. Wireless network unfortunately one of those not compatable ... however, if you want to try the blending, it is a trivial one line hack to ipdf - just add the line

gdk_gc_set_function(gc, GDK_AND);

Straight after creating the gc in GtkMgr.cpp. That's it.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #38
gmt

Another version of ipdf

Well, I've done some more fiddling and come up with a version which seems to do what I want. Specifically:

1. Blended scribble (so I can use them for highlighting)

2. Browsing history (so I can jump to figures/references and back)

3. Jumping between scribbles (so I can see what edits I've made)

I attach a file with src/*cpp src/ipdf and inc/*.h - see a previous message in this thread.

_long_ presses on the buttons do:

up - toggle fullscreen
dot - toggle scribble/viewing mode
down - toggle toolbar

in scribble mode you can see the scribbles, and _short_ presses do:

up - last scribble (in page order)
dot - toggle black/thin pen and grey/thick pen
down - next scribble (in page order

in viewing mode you don't see the scribbles, and _short_ presses do:

up - last page/link
dot - refresh
down - next page/link

The history is like a web browser - all previous page turns/links are stored.

I think this might be useful for others on other threads who have mentioned they want to use the Illiad for editing technical documents - I am half way through someone's thesis and this is working fine.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ipdf_forediting.tar.gz (631.9 KB, 782 views)
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Mini-page view?

Sometimes a page is recognizable by its general shape (especially if there's an illustration or table on the page, but even if it's just text). And if there are scribbles on the page, even better. How hard would it be to add thumbnail generation and navigation to ipdf? I'm thinking 16 thumbnails per screen.

Edit: with scribbles included, if possible.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 AM   #40
jbui
jbui began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
IPDF for version 2.11

Once upgraded the iLiad to version 2.11 is it still possible to install IPDF?
jbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #41
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Yes. I think that the current version will work just fine on 2.11 iLiads. Can someone verify this? If someone would like to update ipdf to the latest svn, that would be great. Otherwise I'll try to have one out by this weekend.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #42
m-s-s
m-s-s began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
hello,
i have an iliad v1 with firmware 2.11.
i haven't tried any developer software yet, but the ipdf fullscreen feature is a good thing. i downloaded the installer on this thread and put it unzipped into the internal memory of my iliad. it shows me the file "Install ipdf with variable CPU freq." with a acrobat(?)-icon. but if i push this, nothing happens. the led blinks shortly and thats it.

can anyone say, what i do wrong?

thanks for your help.

bye
m-s-s
m-s-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #43
Timodeus
Timodeus began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Hi all!
I can confirm m-s-s observation. I've tried the same on my fresh iLiad after upgrading to 2.11
(probably to early?). I've tried to install the package on local and external memory (CF)
as well with the same result. The error message says that there is a mismatch in the
firmware version. Other stuff like gnuchess is working nicely....

Greetings!
Timodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #44
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

You must have the so called "shell access" to run any community developed software.

And after each firmware update you have to re-request and download it through IDS again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Get it here: http://myirex.irexnet.com/user.php/developer
But be careful. You might brick your iLiad, when using incorrectly.
And regarding the firmware version mismatch, have a look here starting with this post.

Better yet, use this installer for 2.11.

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 10-12-2007 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Added link regarding version mismatch and link to 2.11 installer.
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #45
Timodeus
Timodeus began at the beginning.

Changing the hardcoded firmware version makes the installer running. Thanks for the hint!
Timodeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-in-one, ipdf