Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle refunds

Why do Amazon allow this for eBooks but not paper books?
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
Why do Amazon allow this for eBooks but not paper books?
You can return paper books at Amazon -- in fact, you have 30 days to return them. At least I hope so because I just returned on to them. (Based on the reviews, I thought I was getting a paperback copy of a translation of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Instead, I got a book in Old English -- the reviews applied to a different edition by the same editor.)

They do have to be in good condition, or you only get a partial refund. Also, if there is an error on the part of Amazon, they pay the shipping. I know of people who return books to them all the time because the description doesn't match the book, because the book turns out to be a reprint instead of a new book, etc.

The return policy might vary by country, of course. Also, if you buy from a third party vendor, then I suppose all bets are off unless the vendor sent the wrong book, lied about condition, etc.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess so.

love your Avatar btw
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Refunds are in principle much easier for ebooks, because they are just files. In practice, most ebook stores discourage refunds because they (or more likely the publisher) can't tell if you keep a copy of the file. Amazon is different, because they can delete refunded ebooks from your Kindle devices.

Return rates for Kindle ebooks are incredibly low, I have seen numbers like 1 in 500 and always less than 1%. The exception might be TOPAZ ebooks, but they are not used by independent authors and publishers (who are the only ones reporting sales and returns).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote