Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
remove table of contents

is there an easy way to dispense with TOC.

often-times a novel will start with a long list of hyperlinks to chapters, which I have no use for; as they also often appear as only 1 or 2 lines/links per page on my kindle, it means 20 or more page turns before the story starts.

Calibre has a " do not add TOC " option but I don't see one for removing what's already there via a reconversion.

is there some ebook "rule" that says every book has to have a TOC or can I either remove them or force them to end of book. for a novel, which I'm just going to read start to finish, once only, on Kindle -the TOC has no added value for me, it's just gets in the way of the story.

specific example - I have a lit book which I want to read in mobi, the lit source has chapter hyperlinks at start of book, I'd like to strip them out durign the mobi conversion but I don't see how to do it ?
NB when I inspect the mobi output on my kindle, I see there as a TOC at the end of the book - that's where kindle will go if I navigate via kindle's go to ... TOC. but there's also the chapter links at the beginning of the book. It would be good to only have the end of book stuff.

Last edited by cybmole; 10-15-2010 at 05:38 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't think there's an "official" option to do that, but you might be able to do it by using some regex magic in header/footer removal. As usual though when using that option, be careful not to remove too much.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that the problem is likely to be that there is a difference between the ToC at a metadata level, and inline one that is merely text with links. The inline sort could sometimes be hard to recognise.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yes, but I think he wants to remove the inline TOC, which should be possible by carefully using regexes.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I thouhgt careful use of regex would maybe be the onlt solution.

is having a TOC part of a reference epub / mobi / lit spec i.e. is it a sort of required feature of an e-book ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert