Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks for that link. The same outfit has a 2nd gen Paperwhite battery also and I just bought one. I'd been about to get one from Newpower99 but it costs about 4 times as much.

My experience with cheap Ebay batteries isn't good but for that price I decided to take a chance. Assuming there's a 50% chance of it being good I have a 50% chance of cutting my cost by 75%.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Thanks for that link. The same outfit has a 2nd gen Paperwhite battery also and I just bought one. I'd been about to get one from Newpower99 but it costs about 4 times as much.

My experience with cheap Ebay batteries isn't good but for that price I decided to take a chance. Assuming there's a 50% chance of it being good I have a 50% chance of cutting my cost by 75%.
The last battery I bought – I don't know if it was from this seller or not – was for my "Goodwill" Kindle Keyboard. It was an Amazon OEM battery with the Amazon Kindle name blacked out with a magic marker. It's holds a charge well, actually better than the one in the "refurbished" Woot Kindle Keyboard I bought.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully mine will be as good. Just guessing, in the past 10 years I've probably ordered half a dozen lithium ion replacement batteries from Ebay vendors. All have been okay. Some don't hold a charge as long as the originals. Some do. I'm not sure of the percentage of good ones but it's probably 50% to 75%.

Barry
Old 12-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
You got to be careful with the batteries,
It appears a lot of people complained, because Amazon regularly changed their batteries for the same device, and so a gen 2 device's battery might not be compatible with a gen 5, and/or reverse.
You'd think they at least keep the battery the same, but for some reason, they've changed their monitoring system, making some batteries incompatible with the same devices of different gen...

As far as the ebay link, I bought it, and will be trying it out, as my kindle with Wifi and light off, now lasts about 3 days on a charge
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
barryem
Wizard

I'm sure mine is a 2nd generation Paperwhite. I bought each generation as it came out. I have all three. This one will hold a charge for about a day or two, whether I use it or not.

I've been keeping it on the charger all the time since this began. It was the Paperwhite I used most until the battery got weak.

Barry
Old 12-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard

I got my battery from Ebay this morning and installed it. It's charging now. It seems to be working just fine.

I first watched the Youtube video from Newpower99 for my Paperwhite 2. Turns out mine was nothing like theirs once I got the case off. And I really had to fight to get that case off. I ended up using a flat screwdriver since the plastic tool they provided just didn't get it done.

Once I got it apart it got pretty scary because I really had to figure out what to do. The video helped a lot but I had to figure out all the differences. Anyway I got it done. It took about 20 minutes and as far as I can tell it's all just fine.

During most of the process I was pretty sure my Paperwhite was a goner. I considered stopping and throwing it away. I really doubted I could get it back together properly. But I kept going just because I'm not going to be beaten by a bunch of plastic and it all fell into place at the end.

I'm pretty happy now. Overjoyed. I'll be bragging about what a genius I am for the next week or two.

Barry
Old 12-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm pretty happy now. Overjoyed. I'll be bragging about what a genius I am for the next week or two.
I'm very happy it worked out for you. I've been there before – "I've got it broken apart, I have no choice but to keep going ..." Somehow it usually works out.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote