Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Reeperbahn
Reeperbahn began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Bulk convert without selecting format each time?

Just wondering if it is possible. I really need to know as I convert many books daily and each time each format need to be selected. I want to avoid selection of format each time.
I have PMed Kovid also.
Reeperbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm not quite sure what you mean. When I do a bulk conversion, I only have to select the output format once, no matter how many books I'm converting in that bulk lot. (And I don't even have to select it that once when I'm converting to epub, because I've already got that set up in my saved conversion settings.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Reeperbahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean. When I do a bulk conversion, I only have to select the output format once, no matter how many books I'm converting in that bulk lot. (And I don't even have to select it that once when I'm converting to epub, because I've already got that set up in my saved conversion settings.)
Absolutely. You are right.

But, let me explain what I want to ask with an example.
Suppose I want to convert 100 books to multiple formats say epub, mobi, azw3, pd, pdb, lit, lrf, fb2, htmlz. I select 100 books for the bulk convert option and select any format from the above. But I have to do it for each format. I am asking a way in which I can select 100 books and with just one click all of them gets converted to these formats, without the need of selecting the format everytime for 100 books.. Maybe saving the preferences of conversion or any other way.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You should be able do it with a command line script - calibre conversions, and much more, can be done from the command line ===>>> http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/cli-index.html

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Reeperbahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You should be able do it with a command line script - calibre conversions, and much more, can be done from the command line ===>>> http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/cli-index.html

BR
Thanks for your comment, BR. Problem is Calibre is new for me. I really don't get it what you said. Can you please be more specific. What Command Line should I install, pertaining to the issue of Bulk Conversion in Multiple format with just one click without the need of selection of each format.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
First time book (no prior use of Conversion) Bulk conversions should use the first format found in the ORDER of formats set in Preferences: Behavior.

That is also where the default Output format is set. If you connect (send to) a Device that does not currently have an acceptable format present,.

The Add list is consulted for Auto Conversion INPUT, The device driver has a similar list for preferred (order of) OUTPUT to send

Bulk conversions of mixed input formats do work without the additional efforts you list.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeperbahn View Post
Thanks for your comment, BR. Problem is Calibre is new for me. I really don't get it what you said. Can you please be more specific. What Command Line should I install, pertaining to the issue of Bulk Conversion in Multiple format with just one click without the need of selection of each format.
If you've installed Calibre on your PC you have what you need - the command line 'programs' will be installed - look in the Calibre2 directory - you'll see a bunch of files with black icons with three white dots - such as like 'ebook-convert.exe' - these are the Calibre command line programs.

Basically you run a calibre feature (such as conversion) from a command line (Terminal in Apple lingo) rather than via the gui. You can then wrap commands in scripts (AppleScript, Perl, Powershell, Bash, AutoIt - your choice). Your script would cycle through your library looking for say MOBI files, when it finds one it would apply a series of 'ebook-convert' commands to do each of the conversions you want.

Here is a recent thread with some sample conversion scripts ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212142 If you do a search in the Calibre forum for 'scripts' and 'batch' etc you'll find more.

I suggest you create a small library to use in writing and testing the script. Once you have a satisfactory script then backup your main library before you run your script against it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-04-2013 at 07:29 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote