Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #121
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
The main thing I wanted to accomplish was get rid of annoying header/footer/page# interrupting the flow, as opposed to building a perfect book.
You can do that in Calibre using the search & replace feature, but I guess that's not really beginner level anymore.

Quote:
Edit: And I haven't tested yet to see the results of eliminating Word out of that and doing the search/replace and minor clean-up work in Open Office instead, to reduce conversions: epub --> rtf --> odt --> epub. The sequence with docx in it may be better than the sequence without docx.
You don't even need the ODT and the RTF. Pick one of those, OpenOffice can read and save both those formats, and Calibre can convert from both.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #122
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
You can do that in Calibre using the search & replace feature, but I guess that's not really beginner level anymore.

You don't even need the ODT and the RTF. Pick one of those, OpenOffice can read and save both those formats, and Calibre can convert from both.
Re calibre s&r, yes. Eventually I want to do it there as the "best practices" place to do it, but I have to learn more regex first

Re odt, I noticed the odt's were much smaller in size than the cleaned-up rtf's or docx's and generated much smaller-in-size epubs than directly from rtf to epub. That's why I added odt to the sequence. As far as the initial conversion to send it out of calibre to get fixed, calibre doesn't (yet?) offer odt as a conversion-destination format.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #123
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Re odt, I noticed the odt's were much smaller in size than the fixed rtfs and fixed docx's and generated much smaller-in-size epubs than directly from rtf to epub. That's why I added odt to the sequence.
So I'd suggest trying to go <input format> -> ODT -> fix ODT in OO.org -> reimport and reconvert.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #124
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I started to create txt files. There I note noteworthy things - original file format, sometimes whole filename; things I did before final mobi (like losing horizintal line or adding space between paragraphs or centering headings).
Also path I took, for example lit ->epub in C, tweak html ->prc in MC.
And things that irritated me while reading - missing toc, missing <p>-s (results in whole dialog being in one paragraph), typos. Did I correct them and where (like, if I grab html from epub, make prc, during reading find some things to improve. I twiddle with html-s that Mobi Creator is using, make new prc and continue reading it. Epub stays unchanged.)
Things I tried to do but was unsuccessful, things I maybe could do before next reading (space between chapters, color the headings ...)

My final quality rating concerns only mobi/prc file, but if in the future I aquire need for epubs and conversion from mobi does not work out, it's easy to see what I changed and do it for epub.

Txt opens very fast, so it's just one click to see why rating is '3' for example.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #125
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I'd suggest trying to go <input format> -> ODT -> fix ODT in OO.org -> reimport and reconvert.
I probably misunderstood something somewhere, but I was under the impression that the only format choices in the conversion output menu, useful to use to go out of calibre to fix were:

epub for Sigil fix.
rtf for Word or OOo fix.
pdf for Acrobat fix which I like to avoid.
htmlz which I should probably use after I learn more html.
txt or txtz but I try to avoid those (for what I thought were good reasons but may not be.)
mobi for Mobipocket Creator (for Microsoft OS users, but not anyone else I think.)

I need to pick something (eg RTF) to go out of calibre into the cleaning app with. So if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting: OriginalFormat --> rtf --> odt --> PreferredFormat.

The file size reduction is significantly larger with docx preceding odt in that sequence: OriginalFormat --> rtf --> docx --> odt --> PreferredFormat. I think. Filesize results, I tested several months ago. Next time I have some books to test on I'll check that.

Edit: After I had tested the filesize results either way back then, I didn't test quality results with eliminating docx from the sequence.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-22-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: note re testing, added mobi to format list, readability
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #126
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
...My final quality rating concerns only mobi/prc file...
That works for people who always have the same "final" format in all records, but some experienced users early-on in this thread told me converting everything to one format wasn't a good idea. So I'm trying to figure what is a good way to determine which is the best quality format when people don't standardize on one final format and they have multiple formats in one record.

The idea of creating a txt file and note things in it like you do seems good, but overall clunky and time consuming. I don't have an alternative to suggest though.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #127
Manichean
Wizard

I was mistaken. ODT is indeed not available as an output format.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #128
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
I was mistaken. ODT is indeed not available as an output format.
Originally when I first decided to try to simplify the conversion sequence and use odt, I was surprised to find that it wasn't an option in output formats.

Re being mistaken, I sure know that feeling well
Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #129
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have all kinds of things in one record:

Original format
Final prc
Files needed to make that prc (in ace or rar)
Txt with notes
Additional jpg; if I've found several pictures (maps, nice artwork...), I zip them up and make note in txt (too much bother to unzip just for the look inside).
...whatever else
Thought for a second about adding audiobooks also, but decided against it. Made instead new column for other formats.

Mobi is what I'm reading, so it's quality goes into column entry. After all, how can I know if a book has letters like é or some symbol without reading it? Lack of italics is easier to catch at a glance, still I don't see the reason for rating anything else than the format I (have) read.
Only recently I had a book with some greek letters, they showed up nicely in PC mobireader but palm could not recognize them. In (hopefully) far future when my palm is dead and I want to read it again, it's matter of seconds to unzip, change the html and create it again. Characters to search for I noted in txt file.
Also, pdf may look very nice, but convert into badly-formatted html->prc.

Maybe in the future I'll buy android phone and start reading epubs, it does not change the basic principle - I rate the format I read.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #130
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Maybe in the future I'll buy android phone and start reading epubs, it does not change the basic principle - I rate the format I read.
I like that answer. It's KISS and so far as I've examined it, seems to work well for many cases. And thanks for that simple answer. I've obviously been missing some basic simple ideas.

As an alternative to notes in a txt file, how about if I use a Long Text field similar to Comments for notes about particular format things?

On further thought the txt file seems more versatile a place than Long Text field.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #131
travger
Evangelist

Usually I don't add until prc is read. During reading I just make bookmarks in palm, depending on those what to do next - if there's just few typos, I may create txt after finishing whole book, if lot of typos, I enter them in txt (and delete bookmarks) once in a while, if there's some irritating formatting, I also correct the typos I found so far and make new prc... All without touching Calibre.

Finally, when I'm reasonably happy, I delete copies I made of html (just in case I change something major and don't remember what was there before) and add all 3 files (ace, prc, txt) to Calibre, then merge them into original entry.
I use mostly Mobipocket Creator - it's much faster (takes 1-2 seconds to convert, easy to check if I managed to push text to the right margin for example), makes toc in the beginning of the book and is less complicated (and probably allows less control, but that's ok for now).

If I'd used Long Text field: every time I'd have to enter Calibre, find the book, (scroll), find Notes field to add things.
I don't need the notes about formatting to be searchable in Calibre (yet), if some reason crops up, I'll probably think up a tag (chektxt, noitalc). So far quality rating is enough for me.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #132
unboggling
Wizard

travger, thanks for the explanation. Now the way you're doing it makes a lot more sense to me.

If I use one format quality rating tag at record level, I can assume it applies to my "preferred" calibre format (epub), if that "preferred" format is there. If not, I can assume it applies to the mobi, if that format is there. Since those two are my primary formats for iPad and Kindle. If neither is there, it's probably a pdf I had good reasons not to convert (such as complex graphics or layouts) so I can assume it applies to the pdf. That one format quality rating tag at record level works in more than 80% of my cases, possibly closer to 99%. So it's good, thank you again.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #133
travger
Evangelist

You are welcome . Its' nice to find myself in the giving end for a change, I've swiped enough others' ideas.
Still, especially for the beginner, it's much easier to decide 'I don't need that' or 'that's a good idea, let's see how to make it happen' than 'I'd like to see info about xyz in book record, now where should I enter it?'.

Presently I'm meditating wether there is any big difference between collections and omnibuses and should I tag them appropriately. Which is 1 novel + 1 short story for example?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #134
unboggling
Wizard

What I've been doing is:

I choose the bigger element or most relevent tag in cases where it could be one or another.

How I've defined them for myself:
Collection = short stories or other elements all by one author.
Anthology = short stories or other elements by more than one author.
Omnibus = multiple long elements + whatever short stories and essays, etc.
Omnibus is also either Collection or Anthology.

In my case, using abbreviations or human-readable:
[Col or Collection
[An or Anthology
[Om or Omnibus

Book may contain more than one of those tags, such as:
Title1 has [Col, [Om
Title2 has [An, [Om

Last edited by unboggling; 08-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #135
travger
Evangelist

Thanks, I forgot about anthologies. Seems to be good definition. And I can use coloring to escape scrolling the tags field. For example if text (doesn't have to be in tags column) is blue, I'll know it's omnibus at a glance.
Closed Thread