Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #61
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I've had the issue with kepub books, library book as well as one that I bought from kobo, I haven't as yet tried it with a side loaded epub.

As for switching off auto-screen-rotate, I am not aware that you can do that, you can lock it so that it only rotates between the two portrait orientations or lock it to the two landscape orientations but I don't see any way to turn it off altogether.

I have not reported the issue to Kobo yet. There will hopefully be a new firmware today or tomorrow for the official release of the Forma and if the issue continues after that I will try and get it exchanged for a new one.

I looked it up and you are right (not surprisingly as you actually have the device ), the switching off auto-screen-rotate that I remember reading about is actually the 'lock orientation' -- but I didn't know that only disables rotation between portrait & landscape mode, leaving auto-rotation between left & right portrait active.

It's weird others don't seem to have run into the freezing issue... makes me think it's an error in your device's sensor (drivers) or something. In any case I hope it gets solved for you with the update!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
With the plastic substrate, you won't have to listen to JSWolf telling you you must get a cover.
I wouldn't bet on it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #63
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Barcey etal, just curious...why would happy A1 users want to go to the Forma?
New toy!

Mine has shipped from Indigo to me in the US today. Canada Post says 10/24 delivery -- don't know if that's from them to US Post or actually to me. But I'm excited!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #64
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Happy A1 user. I ordered a Forma for a few reasons.

1. I like the idea of the page turn buttons
2. I like the light weight aspect
3. It's a new gadget and I decided to treat myself!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #65
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
No shipping notice from Chapters yet... Kobo itself is a faster way. No surprise here.
Walmart is 2 day ship to store for pickup, no ship charges
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #66
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Happy A1 user. I ordered a Forma for a few reasons.

1. I like the idea of the page turn buttons
2. I like the light weight aspect
3. It's a new gadget and I decided to treat myself!
I love new toys as well and the OCD person wants to buy every new device that coes out
Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #67
HLS
Wizard

I do not know why I have this obsession with ereaders. technically i have access to everything via my tablet. Cone to think of it ereaders are too expensive you can just get an ipad for just a little more
Old 10-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #68
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I do not know why I have this obsession with ereaders. technically i have access to everything via my tablet. Cone to think of it ereaders are too expensive you can just get an ipad for just a little more
There is a big difference though. Reading on an ereader is SO MUCH better than reading on an LCD/OLED screen. THat said, the Forma's out of my budget as far as ereaders go. I'm about to buy an H2O2 and even the idea of having just two ereaders seems a bit strange. If you get to use all your impressive collection of them, well done!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #69
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Still impossible to buy or pre order in UK?
Checked the usual suspects, Argos, John Lewis also Google shopping and search, and kobo themselves
The Pre-order button on the UK kobo.com site has occasionally been "live". I managed to sneak through an order last Thursday evening (18th). I think I read a post from another UK forum member, a couple of days later, who also managed to get the Pre-order button to work.

I got an immediate confirmation email but, because of the strange on-again/off-again situation, I wasn't 100% convinced that my order wouldn't just sit there forever in limbo. However ... I've just had a "your order has been shipped" text from RakutenKobo. Apparently it's currently in the Netherlands, due for delivery Wed 24th.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #70
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I still have Aura One and I love it.

I don't know if it worth getting Forma just to get 0.2 inches more for $299.99.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #71
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I still have Aura One and I love it.

I don't know if it worth getting Forma just to get 0.2 inches more for $299.99.
looking at the great post of MGlitch post #58 i don't see a point of switching unless you have an absolute need of physical buttons.

Thanks MGlitch on this great post. Every word is golden for me.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #72
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
No shipping notice from Chapters yet... Kobo itself is a faster way. No surprise here.
Walmart is 2 day ship to store for pickup, no ship charges
In the US, but hel is in Canada. Don't see the Forma on Walmart.ca. But they do have the Clara which Walmart.com can't seem to get in stock.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #73
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
My Kobo is shipped, will have it tomorrow according to the tracking number. Chapters ships free to Canada.

For me buttons + plastic screen + weight + slightly bigger screen is a good enough reason to buy it. Moreover my A1 is becoming annoying: it starts rebooting sporadically and touch is glitchy. Calibration was bad from the beginning, using keyboard is a pain. I mostly use kindle oasis1 now, but I’d prefer to have a bigger screen. Unfortunately we don’t have 10” Kindle or Kobo or reliable alternative with front light.

Last edited by hel; 10-22-2018 at 11:40 PM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:44 AM   #74
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Well my One died a couple of weeks ago (port problem) and I decided to wait for the Forma:
* 197 g instead of 230 g is quite significant for my very arthritic hands
* I'm interested in the physical buttons; I'll see whether I'll use it more than the tap/swipe
* I like the orientation flexibility, and not having to modify the reading parameters if I switch from my usual left handed to right handed reading.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:56 AM   #75
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
some will buy because they want not because they need.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote