Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
dasbooter
dasbooter began at the beginning.

Device: Libra
New Libra owner guidance re registering, connectivity, patches

First excuse my ignorance and if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum. My new Libra sits in the box in front of me after a battery charge. I've read the tips and tricks thread and a few others on the first three pages. I'm typically aggressive in terms of owning and controlling hardware I purchase. I've definitely cracked open and flashed ota or soldered jtag to accomplish this or that. Still I purchased from kobo because to me they seemed the least "evil" of the bunch, hehe.

1) this thread right here seems to ask all the questions I would. Can I use it, substituting for the Libra?https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334173

2) Can somebody clarify for me the repercussions of online connectivity(logging in/out) or point me to that information. It seems there is a registration bypass, but this also has repercussions. I'm really trying to figure this out.

3) I work in a medical/technical field and I really need, in these times, some escapism whether it's getting the reader just right with some patches or the reading the book itself.

Thanks for the patience

Last edited by dasbooter; 10-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.
dasbooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter View Post
1) this thread right here seems to ask all the questions I would. Can I use it, substituting for the Libra?https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334173
Yes, except for the part about taking a SD card image.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
1. All of that applies to pretty much every modern Kobo model.

2. If you read a couple books, and then for whatever reason decide to log out, the Kobo will delete all books associated with your account and will erase progress of any sideloaded books.

Bypassing registration is possible. But with no account, there's no guarantee that a new Kobo update won't come out and break your device.

The safest thing is to register normally and never log out. If you don't want to use your real email, a fake email is fine.

3. Not sure if this is a question, but if you want to patch, here's the most recent thread.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
dasbooter
dasbooter began at the beginning.

Device: Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, except for the part about taking a SD card image.
Yes basic tenet to try and backup to restore. My quick googlefu is lacking here, is that bc this cant be done even with opening up the hardware. I'm researching how the firmware updates occur voluntary or otherwise and the possibility of downgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post

3. Not sure if this is a question, but if you want to patch, here's the most recent thread.
Inevitably I found that yes the modding community has something I would like to try but in order I will:
1)reacquaint myself with calibre (I used it along time ago when I could maintain a linux install)
2) most likely try a few other readers Koreader, Plato.
3) have a look at Nickelmenu
4) have a look at patching firmware
dasbooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes basic tenet to try and backup to restore. My quick googlefu is lacking here, is that bc this cant be done even with opening up the hardware. I'm researching how the firmware updates occur voluntary or otherwise and the possibility of downgrading.
No, it is because the Libra H2O does not have removable storage. There is no way to take an image and then later restore it. Or at least no easy way.

Quote:
Inevitably I found that yes the modding community has something I would like to try but in order I will:
1)reacquaint myself with calibre (I used it along time ago when I could maintain a linux install)
2) most likely try a few other readers Koreader, Plato.
3) have a look at Nickelmenu
4) have a look at patching firmware
Honestly, just read some books. You will learn something about the device. You will learn what you like and what you don't like. Then you will know what you need to look for to change. Or maybe you will decide it is perfect. Or so bad you throw the device in the garbage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Good advice. I'd also play around with some things in Nickel (Pocket integration, browser, etc.)
Have fun
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes basic tenet to try and backup to restore
The main issue with that is that it's possible to damage the device when creating a backup (and the other option of doing it over the network is tedious and slow), and you're unlikely to need it in the future. And, as davidfor said, the newer devices don't even have an easy way to restore images.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it is because the Libra H2O does not have removable storage. There is no way to take an image and then later restore it. Or at least no easy way.

Honestly, just read some books. You will learn something about the device. You will learn what you like and what you don't like. Then you will know what you need to look for to change. Or maybe you will decide it is perfect. Or so bad you throw the device in the garbage.
There is actually no need to change anything, nor circumvent sign-up. Kobo doesn't demand a payment method or an address. Or didn't last time. The email doesn't need to even work.

I do use Calibre and backup the database occasionally. But I use the Kobo Utilities to read/copy the annotations for a book as soon as I finish it, or the next day, so a self corrupted database isn't a huge issue.

The best addition is Calibre, no need then to change anything on the Kobo. Annotations and Collections work better than the Kindle. Sync is over-rated. It was handy on a PDA with a PC. Not needed for ereaders. If I do start to read on the phone instead, I can simply search a phrase, which is faster than Sync and Sync relies on single vendor ecosystem. It seems more a hazard than help on Kindles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote