Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Question on opening a book for the first time

I've noticed that whenever I open a new book for the first time it always starts at the first chapter, therefore skipping the cover and table of contents. Is there a option to change this? I'd like to open at the cover or at least the table of contents. (I have 1.0.8 firmware)
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Not that I am aware of, no.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyparrot View Post
I've noticed that whenever I open a new book for the first time it always starts at the first chapter, therefore skipping the cover and table of contents. Is there a option to change this? I'd like to open at the cover or at least the table of contents. (I have 1.0.8 firmware)
In a MOBI (AZW) ebook this is typically controlled by the "Start" guide entry, see Defining guide items. I don't know what MobiPocket Reader (or the Kindle) does if there is no Start entry, but note that the TOC and cover image probably are not at the actual start of the document in recent MOBI (AZW) ebooks. Earlier PRC ebooks had no guide entries and typically did start with an embedded image and an in-line TOC.

This isn't going to help much, because there is no easy way to change the guide metadata in most Kindle compatible ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
As soon as I open a book, I click on the "menu" and go to the cover and go from there, so I make sure I get the TOC and any other material, grumbling (just a tiny bit) to myself as I do it.

I have gotten a few books from Amazon that opened on the TOC or at the title page, though, so it must be set whenever it's converted into the format.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
As soon as I open a book, I click on the "menu" and go to the cover and go from there, so I make sure I get the TOC and any other material, grumbling (just a tiny bit) to myself as I do it.
That's what I've been doing. Maybe they'll make it an option in the future. Thanks everybody.
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
hi.Just wanted to welcome you to theese forums,cause I dont know if you've made a welcome thread and inform you that the THING you have in your avatar is the most vicious, anoying,pompous,selfish ,greedy and noisy thing with a rotten personality on the face of the earth.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
hi.Just wanted to welcome you to theese forums,cause I dont know if you've made a welcome thread and inform you that the THING you have in your avatar is the most vicious, anoying,pompous,selfish ,greedy and noisy thing with a rotten personality on the face of the earth.
That's a welcome???

Long live parrots and toleration. Welcome to the forum, greyparrot.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
hi.Just wanted to welcome you to these forums,cause I don't know if you've made a welcome thread and inform you that the THING you have in your avatar is the most vicious, annoying,pompous,selfish ,greedy and noisy thing with a rotten personality on the face of the earth.
We have a fairly newish (newish to us) parrot that we've adopted. He is a conjure parrot and his name is Charlie. He's nt yet old enough to speak. He is a very daft bid to be sure. He can be loud at times. He is not greedy. He is not selfish. He is not annoying. He is not pompous. He is not vicious. He has not bitten either of us. Not like hewas trying to attack. He beaks us. But he does it gently. When we got him, he was a bit skittish. Now he's coming to trust us. When we first got him, he didn't like to be touched. But now he allows us to touch him. He is a loving bird. Right now, he's attacking his piggy piñata.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Wow, um, that's a strange thing to say to a new member. I'm assuming you were just teasing a bit, but remember that smiley icons can be helpful when you are kidding around.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

im not teasing,I HAVE that parrot,SADLY-to think we had to drive through half the country to get THAT sob.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
My, my you seem to be upset. The parrot in question is 32 years old, and has been with me since age 6 mo. She seems to be very happy.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We have a fairly newish (newish to us) parrot that we've adopted. He is a conjure parrot and his name is Charlie.
Enjoy your Conure, I had a Sun Conure once. A word of warning, if you have Charlie's wings clipped don't think for a second that he can't fly. They are very good escape artists and can travel quick and far even with clipped wings.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
Lobolover
Gorosei

we have a HIM.Naturaly,he can't stand me.but I had a SHE jarine's parrot-which loved me madly and that I could do anything with-like turn her on her back,put her on the measuring scales-she would always go and make a "sound" when she couldn't see me and she would lean back in the cage,one foot on the wall besides her,with her beak hanging on the "roof"-she was something (stupid) alright.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Back to topic - I read somewhere that it is the publisher of the book that decides where the book "starts" when opened.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Back to topic - I read somewhere that it is the publisher of the book that decides where the book "starts" when opened.
Well, it's the creator of the Mobi file, anyway. A mobi book has a set of navigation links in it called "guide" items - these are links to the cover image, table of contents, etc. One of these is called the "start reading" item, and specifies the point at which the "text proper" of the book begins. Sounds as though the Kindle always opens a book at this point.

Read my "how to create a mobipocket book" tutorial for more info.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote