Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
booklizard1
booklizard1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Preview screen question

I am relatively new to Sigil but have used it successfully in the past. Now, when I hit F10 to bring up the preview window in Sigil 9.1, it is zoomed out so far that the text lines are no taller than a human hair and utterly unreadable. What am I missing? Thank you.
booklizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hit F5 for preferences, select the Appearance tab, then adjust the font style/size to your desire.

I have the preview pane on a monitor with a MUCH higher resolution than my primary (code view) display and had to adjust font size significantly to make it readable.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
booklizard1

Preview Window

Thank you for your answer but there is something else going on. The font adjustment provided by the F5 key appears to change the font for both the Book View/Code View and the Preview windows simultaneously. The font is still on the default setting of 16 pt which provides about 20 lines of text in the Book View window, but 120 lines or more in the Preview window.

Your answer gave me the idea of changing the font to the maximum of 99 pt. to see what would happen. The Book View/Code View window then only had room for about 1 character (as one might expect) and the text in the Preview Window became just barely large enough to read.

Note that I have downloaded and installed both the latest version of Sigil and the latest NVidia graphics driver today, but this bizarre problem remains.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Zoom slider. Bottom right corner of the GUI. You can set separate zoom factors for Preview, BooK View and Code View. Perhaps you've inadvertently changed the default zoom factor for Preview? I've done it accidentally before with an accidental keystroke and/or mousewheel combination.

Click somewhere in Preview and hit ctrl+0 to reset the zoom to default. You can do that for Book View and Code View as well if they've been changed. Just make sure you've clicked on the widget whose zoom factor you want to alter.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Zoom slider. Bottom right corner of the GUI. You can set separate zoom factors for Preview, BooK View and Code View. Perhaps you've inadvertently changed the default zoom factor for Preview? I've done it accidentally before with an accidental keystroke and/or mousewheel combination.

Click somewhere in Preview and hit ctrl+0 to reset the zoom to default. You can do that for Book View and Code View as well if they've been changed. Just make sure you've clicked on the widget whose zoom factor you want to alter.
Thanks for the tip.

It has happened to me a couple of times, I fixed it by restoring Sigils config folder from previous nightly backup

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I didn't know the zoom slider would work with the preview pane.

One of the reasons I never noticed it was that it seems that it only works if the PP is docked. If you have it on it's own monitor (undocked) then when you click on the zoom slider, it reverts to controlling the CV window.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
One of the reasons I never noticed it was that it seems that it only works if the PP is docked. If you have it on it's own monitor (undocked) then when you click on the zoom slider, it reverts to controlling the CV window.
You can always dock the widget, zoom it appropriately, and then undock it again. I verified (on my single monitor setup) that it will retain its zoom factor after you undock it.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
booklizard1

Thank all of you very much! You have solved the problem. It was in fact the little zoom slider which everyone mentioned. I had never noticed it before so I must have disturbed it unknowingly while clicking around. Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You can always dock the widget, zoom it appropriately, and then undock it again. I verified (on my single monitor setup) that it will retain its zoom factor after you undock it.
Along with Turtle91, I always have my Preview undocked.

I had no idea Preview was even effected by the Zoom slider. I just thought they worked for Code View + Book View only.

Maybe 3 sets of Zoom Sliders could also be added in the Edit > Preferences > Appearances > Menus tab?
  • Main Menu Icon Size
  • Zoom Levels
    • Book View
    • Code View
    • Preview

(The tab would probably need a slight rename from "Menus" into "Zoom" or "Text/Icon Scaling" or [something else].)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklizard1 View Post
Thank all of you very much! You have solved the problem. It was in fact the little zoom slider which everyone mentioned. I had never noticed it before so I must have disturbed it unknowingly while clicking around. Thanks again!
Yeah, that little slider in the corner is hard to see. And you wouldn't notice anything amiss, especially if you didn't know what it stands for.

You may have also accidentally pressed:

Zoom In: Ctrl + =
Zoom Out: Ctrl + -

while working on a book.

You could always:

Zoom Reset: Ctrl + 0

to set the zoom back to 100%.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-15-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Along with Turtle91, I always have my Preview undocked.

I had no idea Preview was even effected by the Zoom slider. I just thought they worked for Code View + Book View only.

Maybe 3 sets of Zoom Sliders could also be added in the Edit > Preferences > Appearances > Menus tab?
  • Main Menu Icon Size
  • Zoom Levels
    • Book View
    • Code View
    • Preview

(The tab would probably need a slight rename from "Menus" into "Zoom" or "Text/Icon Scaling" or [something else].)

Yeah, that little slider in the corner is hard to see. And you wouldn't notice anything amiss, especially if you didn't know what it stands for.

You may have also accidentally pressed:

Zoom In: Ctrl + =
Zoom Out: Ctrl + -

while working on a book.

You could always:

Zoom Reset: Ctrl + 0

to set the zoom back to 100%.
If I understand you correctly, the problem with putting three sliders in Preferences might be you wouldn't see the effect until you exit Preferences.

Maybe the main window could get a button to show and select which window the coordinates and slider are currently referencing, viz:

BTW : Ctrl- (NumPad) works, but Ctrl+ (NumPad) doesn't. Both Ctrl- and Ctrl+ (TopRow) work. In the browsers I'm familiar with, the TopRow and the NumPad Ctrl- and Ctrl+ sequences work.

BR
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If I understand you correctly, the problem with putting three sliders in Preferences might be you wouldn't see the effect until you exit Preferences.
I don't see why. If you currently move the slider for the Icon Size, you can see the icons in Sigil scale at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In the browsers I'm familiar with, the TopRow and the NumPad Ctrl- and Ctrl+ sequences work.
In browsers, I always use the Ctrl + MiddleMouseScroll to zoom in/out. This doesn't work in Sigil.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-16-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I can't remember the last time I had the preview pane docked (1.x? )

I run multiple monitors, so I will dock and adjust, the resume my normal program

THX
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:11 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I don't see why. If you currently move the slider for the Icon Size, you can see the icons in Sigil scale at the same time.

In browsers, I always use the Ctrl + MiddleMouseScroll to zoom in/out. This doesn't work in Sigil.
What icons are you referring to?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	166327

I have difficulties using a 'pointing devices' so I only use them when I must. And I never liked button bars, even before my hands got smashed.

I use my second monitor for web watching, ftp, news, email, long running video edits etc. Don't have room for a third, anyway its not needed; as you can see from the screen shot, I don't run Sigil maximised, nor anything else.

BR
Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, à chacun son goût. I love the icons and Preview Panel is always docked.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I really don't see the need to add a bunch of new preferences for Zooming. With the exception of the occasional accidental zooming (like this one), its just not a really a problematic or common issue.

Maybe I'll make a note about the different behavior of zooming an undocked Preview widget in the User Guide, but otherwise, that section of the guide (under User Interface) seems fairly clear to me.

Quote:
ZOOM

On the lower right of the main window is a zoom control that lets you shrink or enlarge the text and images independently in Book View, Code View, and the Preview window:
EDIT: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...2403ac0fdc7afa

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2018 at 02:33 PM.