Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #646
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would favor the suggestion by Davidfor as having a fork of the plugin can be confusing.

Funny this PI topic came. I was just about to request That Check
Metadata: Find (accidental) series overlaps.

Finds books where the Series name has multiple titles where there are 0 Author overlaps
(as long as the originating author is included as one of the Authors, it is not a overlap. eg. MZB and Deborah Ross. MZB created Darkover)

Include a database to flag the series as part of a 'universe', where multiple authors write and should exempt this series from the error list

BTW my convention for resolving series clashes in the Library :
series (authors initials). ( I'm not consistent, so the first use may not have initials, but the second and so forth, do )

I use the Manage Series PI to make the change for selected books.
Note (value) in a series name is not exclusively used as a tie breaker.
CSI (Crime Scene Investigators), Mercedes Mercy) Thompson

As always, there will always be rare exceptions where the human will just have to intervene
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #647
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are notes in the plugin index thread about how to do this. But, it is basically just creating a thread with the plugin in the first post and asking a mod to add it to the index.

But...

As this is a modification of an existing plugin, it is a little different.

Since kiwidude basically retired from the forum, others, including myself, have been maintaining his plugins as needed. For most of the plugins, this has been just whatever changes have been needed to keep them working when there were changes in calibre. For other plugins, there has been more work done. In general, the work has been done by someone who uses the plugin and wants to keep it working. When the changes have been made, we post a beta in the thread for testing. If there are no problems, we the ask a moderator to update the released version. This seems to be working for the small number of changes that have been made to most of the plugins.

If you are interested in doing more with this plugin, I would suggest PMing kiwidude and asking him if he was OK with you taking over the plugin. He is still around but might take a few days to respond to a PM. He is happy that people are still using and maintaining them. The advantage of doing this is that you can start a separate thread and manage the release yourself.
If that results in having two threads for the same plugin - then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
... having a fork of the plugin can be confusing.
200%

I think we need to come up with a process that allows someone to take over responsibility for an existing plugin that results in them having ownership of the plugin thread.

It would probably require the new owner to create a new thread with a false name, copy the content of the first post of the old thread into the new thread along with a link to the old thread. And then coordinating with a mod to have the old thread retitled (e.g. by appending " - Old"), the new thread given its correct title, updating the index, closing the old thread after posting a link to the new thread.

This would not apply to plugin threads on 'life-support' only.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #648
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If that results in having two threads for the same plugin - then what?

200%

I think we need to come up with a process that allows someone to take over responsibility for an existing plugin that results in them having ownership of the plugin thread.

It would probably require the new owner to create a new thread with a false name, copy the content of the first post of the old thread into the new thread along with a link to the old thread. And then coordinating with a mod to have the old thread retitled (e.g. by appending " - Old"), the new thread given its correct title, updating the index, closing the old thread after posting a link to the new thread.

This would not apply to plugin threads on 'life-support' only.
That is exactly what I intended. And it is what was done when I took over the Annotations plugin from GKRiker. I have considered talking to kiwidude about a couple of his plugins, I but haven't needed to make enough changes to bother. And I never think of it until after I have released the change.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #649
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is exactly what I intended. And it is what was done when I took over the Annotations plugin from GKRiker. I have considered talking to kiwidude about a couple of his plugins, I but haven't needed to make enough changes to bother. And I never think of it until after I have released the change.
I thought that was what you meant to say, but I'm not sure that's what you wrote

The changes odinokij has made to this plugin are non-trivial. So, if he is willing we should do the same with it as you did with Annotations.

@odinokij - I have an ulterior motive, a) FD sets the state of displaying search results to Highlighting and leaves it set, which creates many of the 'what happened to my search results' threads, and b) FD uses the (Temp) Mark book feature in a way that makes them Permanent. I'm hoping you might be able to take a look at those issues.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-17-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #650
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dear Developer,
everytime I am using your however valuable plugin, I face an apparently trivial but annoying trouble. In fact, in my Calibre library I have a large number of Calibre records filled with dummy files of zero-byte just to take note of paper copies of books which I also own. Of course, FindDuplicates checks and marks them.
Therefore I wonder whether among the plugin options you could add a checkbox to exclude dummy zero-byte books in a future release of the plugin.
Thanks for your attention.
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #651
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@RotAnal - there is no "Developer" for this plugin as such, read the previous dozen or so posts before yours.

Maybe you could fashion a solution with the plugin's "Mark for exclusion" feature, it wouldn't be direct but it may suffice.

And, rather than selecting on zero bytes, which in my case could indicate a Book to Get, a Paper Book, or a Placeholder Book etc, a better approach might be to make the plugin Virtual Library aware.

BR
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #652
odinokij
Enthusiast
odinokij began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
Dear Developer,
everytime I am using your however valuable plugin, I face an apparently trivial but annoying trouble. In fact, in my Calibre library I have a large number of Calibre records filled with dummy files of zero-byte just to take note of paper copies of books which I also own. Of course, FindDuplicates checks and marks them.
Therefore I wonder whether among the plugin options you could add a checkbox to exclude dummy zero-byte books in a future release of the plugin.
Thanks for your attention.
Hi,
you may make a previous search as size:true and make a virtual library with the results before running the Find Duplicates plugin, so empty books will not be considered.

Kind regards,
Odinokij.
odinokij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 AM   #653
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Explain Binary Compare?

Can anyone explain how "Binary Compare" works? It's a question I have sat on for awhile since I don't *need* an answer...

I thought it was supposed to find identical files, regardless of the title/author/metadata but I frequently find it sends back books that are different size so I know I am wrong. However because of my erroneous assumption it is still what I use first when searching for duplicates

Thanks,
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:23 AM   #654
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Do you mean the Binary Compare in the Find Duplicates optional plugin?

BR
Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #655
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Yes. Any idea?
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #656
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Can anyone explain how "Binary Compare" works? It's a question I have sat on for awhile since I don't *need* an answer...

I thought it was supposed to find identical files, regardless of the title/author/metadata but I frequently find it sends back books that are different size so I know I am wrong. However because of my erroneous assumption it is still what I use first when searching for duplicates
It is supposed to do a binary comparison of all formats in your library. Hence, even if EPUB or MOBI doesn't match, if TXT or DUMMY or PAPER matches, books are considered a dupe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #657
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Yes. Any idea?
Moderator Notice

I moved your "Explain Binary Compare?" thread to here.

In future please post questions regarding optional PIs in the PI thread, there's an index of the top of the Plugins subforum.

FWIW : when I want to compare files I use the program - Beyond Compare.

BR
Old 05-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #658
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Attached is a beta to prevent an error with the next release of calibre. As part of the changes to support Python v3, the "@dynamic_property" has been removed. This plugin used this in one place. I have converted this to an @property. The change is backwardly compatible with the released versions of calibre.

The place this is changed is on the "Find metadata versions" dialog. I have done some testing, but don't use the plugin very much. If others who do use the plugin can test this beta and report the results, I can arrange for it to be released. Or fix the problems found.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Find Duplicates-beta.zip (57.5 KB, 235 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #659
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Used the beta ( find dup 1.6.4 ) in calibre 3.42, updated to 3.43, and have had no problem in either version.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #660
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Attached is a beta to prevent an error with the next release of calibre. As part of the changes to support Python v3, the "@dynamic_property" has been removed. This plugin used this in one place. I have converted this to an @property. The change is backwardly compatible with the released versions of calibre.

The place this is changed is on the "Find metadata versions" dialog. I have done some testing, but don't use the plugin very much. If others who do use the plugin can test this beta and report the results, I can arrange for it to be released. Or fix the problems found.
The only problem I find (and it's in the original version) is that it changes the option for showing search results (the famous option of: calibre has found some books but all appear in the screen). (No idea of the English name, "Resaltar" is my chosen option and it's unmarked every time)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates