Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Whitieiii
Whitieiii began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ereader for camping/pool

Since there is no cell signal in most of the places I camp and such i want to find an eink ereader that will be good for me so I have something to do while sitting around the campfire or laying in the tent... I want one that has 3-5 days battery life even when using it 4-6 hours a day on and off and waterproof up to 5ft of water if possible... Id love it to run full Android if it can as well... I normally use the nook app to read my books and like to have that on my device but they don't have an ereader device to fit my bill plus id like to be able to also use Amazon Kindle (i do use that as well sometimes) and read websites and stuff downloaded from the internet and not be tied up to just one service/company so what is out there? I think a cheap device would do the trick nothing fancy as i won't be using it much at all when i do actually have wifi or mobile data just when there's no internet... I've already got an iPad mini and other devices to fill the void it's just the iPad mini isn't good at all outside (LCD isn't good at all in direct sunlight) and battery life is maybe 1/2 a day of reading which wouldn't work if camping... So maybe a 7 inch size would be good... What is out there? I don't really know the devices on the market other then the nook and kindle so any suggestions would be helpful....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whitieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
The most popular waterproof E-readers are Kindle Oasis 2(7" 1,000 mAh)and Kobo Aura One(7.8", 1200 mAh).
In both systems you don't have to buy books from their libraries you can sideload them easily. Kindle doesn't support Epub format but it is quite easy to convert epub books to .mobi and .azw3 using Calibre.
The battery life of the KO2 is about 15 hours at best. From what i know it is same for the Kobo Aura 1.

What i love about my Oasis and also the Voyage is the ability to use buttons to turn pages.

Here is a list of waterproof E-readers
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I purchased a Kobo Aura one for just this purpose. It works good for me. Is this for backpacking or car camping? It sounds like car camping given that you are talking about 4-6 hours a day for 3-5 days. For car camping, I also have a mophie powerstation to recharge, just in case. Charges last a couple of weeks, and personally, I don't read more than an hour or two a day when backpacking. I have a padded case for my Aura and generally keep it in a ziplock bag as well for extra protection. It's likely overkill, but better safe than sorry.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Also look at Kobo H2O - 6.8" screen and waterproof. Battery is better than Kobo Aura One.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Aura One is way too good (and big) for camping. Kobo H2O would be perfectly fine.

Eink screens can break easily. Covers or cases are an absolute must. A Pocketbook Aqua 2 would be quite adequate and moderately priced so that it would not be such a terrible loss if it broke https://www.pocketbook-readers.de/de...x/sArticle/168
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
I want one that has 3-5 days battery life even when using it 4-6 hours a day on and off and waterproof up to 5ft of water if possible...
I'm not aware of any e-ink device with that kind of battery life (30 hours). Most are closer to 16-20 hours tops.

Best bet in that situation is to get a power brick that can recharge the device a couple of times before needing to be recharged itself. I see them everywhere for under $20. Alternatively, if you are camping within reach of your car, just get a 12V USB adapter and use your car's battery to recharge.

-Jim
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 AM   #7
Whitieiii
Whitieiii began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I'm not aware of any e-ink device with that kind of battery life (30 hours). Most are closer to 16-20 hours tops.

Best bet in that situation is to get a power brick that can recharge the device a couple of times before needing to be recharged itself. I see them everywhere for under $20. Alternatively, if you are camping within reach of your car, just get a 12V USB adapter and use your car's battery to recharge.

-Jim
ya I didn't think that be doable... I just want a device that has 5 feet waterproof and last like 2 days if using for 4 hours a day... I can get a battery bank and charge it with that is no problem I just thought that eink devices were less power hungry... full android would be nice to have since I would like the option of nook and kindle on one device but if nothing i'll have to give something up... I think a 7 or 8 inch device would be perfect

i'll give up waterproof (ip68) for splash proof (ip56/ip57) if it means I can get full android... want some water an dust protection for camping if it accidentally gets wet but can sacrifice not bringing it to the pool

Last edited by Whitieiii; 08-24-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Whitieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have kobo aura h20 2nd edition and its fantastic, great battery life and is waterproof
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I carry a power bank with me. It charges my Paperwhite at least twice. They make solar power banks that recharge in the sun.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And the power banks come in different sizes and shapes. One I have is just a couple inches long and wide. It's cylinder shaped like a small flashlight.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
I have kobo aura h20 2nd edition and its fantastic, great battery life and is waterproof
I have the same reader and I get 25-30 hours on a charge routinely.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I have the same reader and I get 25-30 hours on a charge routinely.

Jim
i get alot longer than that, i dont have the wifi on. i have lowest light and its on about 4 at nighttime with the eception of maybe linking to pc a couple of time s a week for about 10 mins a time to download new books i charge about 3-4 weeks and i read about 3-5 hours a day each day.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Kobo Aura One is way too good (and big) for camping. Kobo H2O would be perfectly fine.

Eink screens can break easily. Covers or cases are an absolute must. A Pocketbook Aqua 2 would be quite adequate and moderately priced so that it would not be such a terrible loss if it broke https://www.pocketbook-readers.de/de...x/sArticle/168
I don't know about too good or too big. I use mine strictly for backpacking and it works fine. I do have it in a combined cover (one hard cover for the screen and a padded cover for the device) and put it in a zip lock in the top of the pack. No problems so far. As I think I mentioned, my usage is roughly an hour in the morning and an hour at night and haven't had any battery issues over multi day trips. I imagine if I was going to do a two week trip, I would carry a mophie to recharge it as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote