Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ordered Two 3G's - Have Account Questions

One for my wife and one for me. Both ordered from the same Amazon account. I think I've read this elsewhere but wanted to confirm here: Can both Kindles use the same book with just one purchase of the book?

We don't have our Kindles yet and I've ordered some freebies and a few inexpensive books. I am assuming that when we get the Kindles we can then download books already purchased. Correct?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - all Kindles on the same account can download the same book.

On the "Manage Your Kindle" page - you can view your list of purchased books and send them to multiple Kindles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yes, you can share books between both Kindles BUT if you're both reading the same book at the same time, you may want to turn off Whispersync, so that you don't lose your place in the book. Whispersync allows the Kindles to sync with other Kindles on the same account as well as all the Kindle apps on the same account so that you can jump from one to the other without losing your place. You can turn it on an off via your account here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Good caveat Daffy - I've also seen some posters describe using individual bookmarks or annotations to deal with accidental synchronization across multiple Kindles on one account.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 08-22-2010 at 12:30 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So two Kindles on the same account can have the same book which was purchased only once. I think I can infer from those answers that the books I'm purchasing without a device are being saved, and will be good to go for our Kindles when we get them, since strictly speaking, I have a device, my iPhone.

I'm not really using the iPhone but Amazon wanted a device before I could even "buy" a free book. Even though we don't have a Kindle yet, Amazon recognized the two we've ordered.

I meant to ask is Whispersync the same as Synchronization or is Synchronization a subset of Whipersync? The page you pointed me to says to turn of Synchronization.

Last edited by jangell2; 08-22-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Any e-books you purchase at Amazon will always be available to download to any Kindle device or app that you own now or in the future.

Whispersync is Amazon's name for synchronizing the last page read between multiple Kindle devices or apps. If Whispersync is turned on you can be reading on your Kindle at home and when out and about you decide to continue reading using your iPhone Kindle app you will be on the same page as you left off on your Kindle. You have to leave on Whispernet on your Kindle for this to be possible.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Whispersync is Amazon's name for synchronizing the last page read between multiple Kindle devices or apps. If Whispersync is turned on you can be reading on your Kindle at home and when out and about you decide to continue reading using your iPhone Kindle app you will be on the same page as you left off on your Kindle. You have to leave on Whispernet on your Kindle for this to be possible.
And it works very well. I read both on the Kindle App for iPad and on my "real" Kindle and the synchronization really does work beautifully.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I currently share my account with several kindles. You do need to download a different 'version' of the book for each kindle, but you only need to buy the book once.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Interesting. With all the places you can use the Kindle app now, it wouldn't be too difficult to hit 10+ devices on one account. So as long as you delete a book from a device you can recycle the licenses indefinitely?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Interesting. With all the places you can use the Kindle app now, it wouldn't be too difficult to hit 10+ devices on one account. So as long as you delete a book from a device you can recycle the licenses indefinitely?
You dont need to delete the book from a device, but you might need to temporarily deregister a particular kindle device from your account to download the same book to another device.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I want to nail down the difinition of Whispersync. Does it refer to synchronizing only or is also the name Amazon uses for 3G downloading of books? If I turn off Whispersync, can I still download via 3G?

Something else I want to understand better. I keep reading I can get charged for downloading some items via 3G. Exactly what items trigger the charge? If I buy a book and download it via 3G, is there a charge (other than the price of the book) for that?

BTW, our first (of 2) K3 went to "shipping soon" status this morning.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I want to nail down the difinition of Whispersync. Does it refer to synchronizing only or is also the name Amazon uses for 3G downloading of books? If I turn off Whispersync, can I still download via 3G?
You can turn off the last read page + bookmarks + annotation syncing whilst leaving the 3G/WiFi download of new books enabled.

Amazon allow you to share the same books between multiple Kindles so long as they're all on the same account. As they're all on the same account, you'll have to use the same payment method for all of them. There is a limit to how many Kindles you can attach to an account as well. I think it is/was 5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manage Your Kindle
With synchronization on, a book will open at the last page read, even on another device. It will also keep track of any bookmarks, highlights, or notes that you add so you can see them on another Kindle.
You should turn synchronization off only if:

* You and someone else are reading the same book, AND
* The Kindles are registered to a single account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Something else I want to understand better. I keep reading I can get charged for downloading some items via 3G. Exactly what items trigger the charge? If I buy a book and download it via 3G, is there a charge (other than the price of the book) for that?
The books are "free" aka included in the price. If you want your own personal documents converted and sent via 3G then it will charge you per MB sent. If you set it so it is transferred via WiFi then it is free for the conversion and delivery.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Whispernet is Amazon-speak for their wireless (3G or WiFi) network. Whispersync is for syncing your spot on multiple devices. So, yes, you can turn off Whispersync, but still have access to Whispernet for wireless shopping or delivery of books.

You turn off Whispersync by logging onto your Amazon account and going to the "manage my kindle" page and scrolling down to the bottom of the page. It should have a line saying "manage device synchronization". That page should explain a lot better what I've been trying to say

(or what Tiersten said, only faster!)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
jangell2
Addict

Thank you. That answers my questions. Since neither my wife nor I have any desire to read a book on our iphones or ipods, we'll turn whispersync off.