Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
K2 self-deletes 2 books at once

My K2 just deleted 2 books on its own: Primitive, by Mark Nykanen (which wa a freebie), and The Baseball Codes (a purchase), by Jason Turbow. I am in the middle of reading Primitive and bought The Baseball Codes 2 days ago (and had not yet opened it). As near as I can tell only these 2 books were deleted.

I was on the Home screen with wireless off and clicked on Primitive to open it and read a bit more of it. Nothing happens. I look at the book list and now Primitive is gone, then I noticed The Baseball Codes is also gone. I tried resetting the K2 but neither book shows back up. Turn on wireless and try Sync & Check For Items as a longshot, but nothing happens. Finally I get back to my PC, log into my Manage My Kindle site on Amazon and re-send both of them via wireless. They both download again and when I open Primitive the K2 remembers where I left off. FYI, I am running OS 2.3.3 with the screensaver hack.

I've had my K2 open back up to a different page than I left off at, but I've never seen this behavior happen before. Quite bizarre, has anyone else seen this?
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Are you sure they weren't just moved to the last page of your Home list? Even with Whispernet off, if your K2 resets itself, the clock setting gets moved back to a default setting, so that your most recent books get put last in your Home Page list.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Are you sure they weren't just moved to the last page of your Home list? Even with Whispernet off, if your K2 resets itself, the clock setting gets moved back to a default setting, so that your most recent books get put last in your Home Page list.
I should have mentioned that I double-checked for that first. I first assumed this is what had happened, as I have also seen that before - but it wasn't the case here. I looked at each page in the book list for them and also did a search with the title as the search term, these 2 books simply disappeared. What is so strange is they disappeared after clicking on one of them to open it up.

If Primitive was the only book to disappear I might have been tempted to assume that I had accidently pressed delete somehow when I tried to open it, even though that actually takes 2 actions and I know I only made 1 click. But 2 books disappeared at the same time, very strange behavior. This is the first time I've ever seen something like this, I'm hoping it wil be the last time as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't know if this is a similar glitch but I went through about 10 days of all the books I was reading from Smashwords or Baen would go to my last page in my index when I tried to go to the "home" button. at first I thought they were deleting, but then found them. it was a bit disconcerting as I was far out of both computer and whispernet range and thought I was losing my reading material!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
That has happened to me too, but I was guilty for that. If you touch the joystick hard to open a book, you can left turn and click enter twice, that deletes the book very fast. Sometimes I only needed one click to delete a book because it rebounded. This happens if you are very effusive in clicking.

You have a way to find what's happened. I do not remember the key combination, but you can put the Kindle Log into documents folder and then read to find what happened. Search internet for a key combinations Kindle stuff.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
BarryTX
Connoisseur

Further strange K2 behavior

Thanks for the responses. The 2 books definitely disappeared, and at the same time no less. I did a search multiple times to no avail before re-downloading (both were from Amazon).

Since then, I've now noticed that another odd behavior has begun on my K2.

When I go to resume reading after putting the K2 down for awhile I will often backup 1 page to pick up reading from a little before where I stopped. Here is what is happening now, although it is not happening every time: with the K2 in screensaver mode I wake it up with the slider, and the page that I stopped on is displayed. I press the Prev Page button once and am moved 6 pages back rather than 1. When it happens it is consistently 6 pages back, and over the last day it has happened about 4 times for every time that it correctly moved 1 page back.

I mentioned before that I have seen the K2 wake up on a page several away from where I left off, but this is moving backward 6 pages is a new behavior. I'm starting to get a bad feeling that my K2 is beginning to display symptoms of a terminal illness.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTX View Post
Thanks for the responses. The 2 books definitely disappeared, and at the same time no less. I did a search multiple times to no avail before re-downloading (both were from Amazon).

When I go to resume reading after putting the K2 down for awhile I will often backup 1 page to pick up reading from a little before where I stopped. Here is what is happening now, although it is not happening every time: with the K2 in screensaver mode I wake it up with the slider, and the page that I stopped on is displayed. I press the Prev Page button once and am moved 6 pages back rather than 1. When it happens it is consistently 6 pages back, and over the last day it has happened about 4 times for every time that it correctly moved 1 page back.

I mentioned before that I have seen the K2 wake up on a page several away from where I left off, but this is moving backward 6 pages is a new behavior. I'm starting to get a bad feeling that my K2 is beginning to display symptoms of a terminal illness.
May be its time for a reset.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
BarryTX
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
May be its time for a reset.

Maybe so. I have done a bit of Google searching on the issue and find I'm not the first to have suffered this. It appears to not be a common occurrence either. Some referenced the reset fixing things, so I will likely do so after backing everything up first. Thanks for the comment.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This happens commonly with Topaz formatted books - jumping back 5 or 6 pages, instead of Previous Page. I now put a bookmark where I stop reading in a Topaz book just so I can quickly get back to where I left off.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This happens commonly with Topaz formatted books - jumping back 5 or 6 pages, instead of Previous Page. I now put a bookmark where I stop reading in a Topaz book just so I can quickly get back to where I left off.
can you check while you are reading? or is this something you should have known at download?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
can you check while you are reading? or is this something you should have known at download?
This isn't a consistent feature with Topaz books. I've never had the foresight (yet) to test a sample to see if you can anticipate before beginning to read. It seems to occur in Topaz books whose formatting has LOTS of white space - as if what you view as one page on your screen corresponds really to several screens if the excessive white space was not there [if this makes sense].
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

yeah it kind of does... the hard page returns which are supposed to signify a gap in the story line go on FOREVER on the ereader, thus making it so you end up with many pages of 3 lines?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
BarryTX
Connoisseur

The book that this is happening with right now is Primitive, and it has the filetype AZW1, so it apparently is a Topaz book. It isn't happening every time I hit Prev Page, however, only when I do it after waking the K2 up - and even then inconsistently.

This appears to be the first AZW1 book I have read, so I guess that is why the behavior struck me as odd. Apparently unrelated to the disappearing books then - ?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I have a Topaz version of A Wrinkle In Time in which the font sizes are ridiculously large at my normal setting, and you get maybe 6 lines of text a page with lots of white space. Previous Page turns backed me up 6 or 7 pages.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
The book that this is happening with right now is Primitive, and it has the filetype AZW1, so it apparently is a Topaz book. It isn't happening every time I hit Prev Page, however, only when I do it after waking the K2 up - and even then inconsistently.

This appears to be the first AZW1 book I have read, so I guess that is why the behavior struck me as odd. Apparently unrelated to the disappearing books then - ?
Topaz weird behaviors are inconsistent - another annoying reason to try & avoid them.
I think your vanishing books are a separate issue.