Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #76
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Jerry has posted the JBL 0.16b BETA that he has been checking out, over at the
Ectaco Forum site. He said earlier that it still had some bugs, so I guess he might
be interested in what we find. (I put a link to Jerry's post in a non-sticky thread
today)

I just flashed mine and it shows "Software: v0.16b Patch: v16".

It shows "Reader Mobile" by Adobe... Version 9.1.1" for PDF "About" menu item.

The PDF reflow looks pretty good, to me. PDFs that the JBL used to treat as full page
images are now treated as they are on my PC.

More important to me my Calibre generated epubs still look good, in some ways better
than before. The way the "Font/Zoom" is working on the epubs may take some getting
used to though.

It seems to be handling my PDB eReader DRM books OK, but it's not asking for my
unlock data so I am not sure. The PDB books seem to still function as before.

I'm not sure what "bugs" Jerry was seeing, but I've just started with it.

Luck;
Ken

The "Background Music" settings for epubs, might be one?
I just checked v0.16b version with ePub book from B&N website. It works perfect.
It looks like JBL has support for PDB and ePub B&N books now.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #77
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I just checked v0.16b version with ePub book from B&N website. It works perfect.
It looks like JBL has support for PDB and ePub B&N books now.
I had trouble with a BN epub. I was unable to open it, despite multiple tries. It opened on my computer, but not on the JBL.

I tried checking my account and re-downloading to the same results.

Maybe I am missing something. Despite earlier experience where all caps was fine, I tried using the proper case for the name, after all upper case failed. I know the credit card number is right because I re-entered it on to BN and re-downloaded.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #78
hernad
hernad began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jet Book
Hello everyone, today I bought the miBuk Wolder. It is the same that Aulatarek or jetBook. Is it possible to put the firmware jetBook?

Thanks.
hernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #79
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Per another poster, BN epubs need both the name and CC # entered with no spaces.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #80
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1997 View Post
Per another poster, BN epubs need both the name and CC # entered with no spaces.
Just a note: Same poster... I got help from another forum...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #81
aluraread
aluraread began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre
New Firmware update for Aluratek Libre Pro 0.18g

I'm completely stoked! this firmware update has content search within text pdfs.
rendering of pdfs has, imo vastly improved. While it may have been in the last firmware update, TOC works and I hadn't encountered any books which had one and it works great in the first two books i tried. Was gonna sell this on ebay due to pdfs rending so crappily and no content search, but it's now a keeper. Please post any other changes you observe. thanks
aluraread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #82
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
New firmware for jetBook-Lite -
v0.16e - Released 8/2010

What’s New In This Update:
v0.16e - Released 8/2010
Support for Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) ePub Files
Barnes & Noble ePub Book Support
Better PDF Reflow
Additional minor bug fixes
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #83
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sounds like the official release version of 0.16b, maybe with a few tweeks and fixes?
(If so- Great!)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #84
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Does the Libre have an update like the JBL that allows reading B&N books?
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #85
aluraread
aluraread began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre
Quote:
Does the Libre have an update like the JBL that allows reading B&N books?
yes.
http://helpdesk.aluratek.com/index.p...=knowledgebase
aluraread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #86
alex_b
alex_b began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
Does anybody have an answer to my problem& My JBL stopped booting up beyond the logo page. I tried to update the firmware with no success - it simply wouldn't go any further than logo. I couldn't find any answers on internet. Any help or should I just get another e-book reader?
alex_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #87
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_b View Post
Does anybody have an answer to my problem& My JBL stopped booting up beyond the logo page. I tried to update the firmware with no success - it simply wouldn't go any further than logo. I couldn't find any answers on internet. Any help or should I just get another e-book reader?
I had the same problem weeks ago. Contacted Ectaco, they replaced it free of charge (excl. posting cost, in my case 39$ altogether). This is a typical JBL problem, just do a fast search on the forum.
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #88
Pinnacler
Pinnacler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
I had the same problem weeks ago. Contacted Ectaco, they replaced it free of charge (excl. posting cost, in my case 39$ altogether).This is a typical JBL problem, just do a fast search on the forum.
That is a scary thought for it to be typical. I'm assuming that if it really is that typical, they surely (or at least should be) working on a fix to update them and prevent the issue.
Pinnacler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #89
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I have just finished upgrading my JBL's firmware from v15 to v16e.

The first time it said that the firmware upgrade had failed. I reread the instructions, and realized that I had not unpacked the three files. So I did it again.

The second time, the process froze. The animation of the page moving from the file to the device froze, and the (green flashing) light was not on.

So I pressed the reset button and tried again. This time everything went flawlessly.

I am very impressed with the pdf reflow. Both the font and the spacing are a little too big, but who cares? I may experiment with the font size when I get around to reading one of the pdf books.

I spent $10 on a new SD card rather than move everything on my card onto a new folder on my hard drive and then move it all back again after the upgrade was completed. The pdf reflow alone is worth the $10 in my book. For $10 I feel like I have a new device.

This brings the total of what I have spent on my JBL to $180. Still a great bargain as far as I am concerned.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #90
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacler View Post
That is a scary thought for it to be typical. I'm assuming that if it really is that typical, they surely (or at least should be) working on a fix to update them and prevent the issue.
I'm pretty sure (about 95%) that I had this problem once and fixed it by hooking up to my computer, reformatting the reader (the reader, not the SD card), then reinstalling the firmware. If this still works, and I think it does, you would think Ectaco would let people know rather than going through the expense of replacing readers. I do not think that this problem is a hardware failure.

My entire library is on SD, so the 100MB reader memory is always empty (except for the two empty folders- Books and Pictures that it links through to get to the SD card). And I keep a separate SD card for firmware. So reformatting the reader and reinstalling firmware is never a big deal.

I use this reader all the time and would rather fix it than wait for a replacement.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote