Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Actually, now that it's mentioned, maybe I should nominate Joanne Fluke or Lillian Jackosn Braun. I've been thinking about trying one of their books.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #32
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
I'll second this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLady View Post
Is it ok for a newbie to make a nomination? I was thinking that the ones that have been nominated are excellent, but they're also ones a mystery reader would be aware of already. So I thought I'd nominate something new (ok, pilotbob?). I nominate "A Beautiful Blue Death" by Charles Finch. It's won a number of awards, and it was the first book I bought for GRUBERG (my K1). It's set in 1865 England and exceptionally well written. There's already a second in the series - The September Society - and a third is supposed to be in the works.

I like historical fiction and this one sounds good!
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Actually, now that it's mentioned, maybe I should nominate Joanne Fluke or Lillian Jackosn Braun. I've been thinking about trying one of their books.
The problem with Joanne Fluke is that not all her books are eBook. The first one of her's is not and there are some at Amazon only in Topaz.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with Joanne Fluke is that not all her books are eBook. The first one of her's is not and there are some at Amazon only in Topaz.
I get the impression that you can read her books out of order.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I get the impression that you can read her books out of order.
Maybe so. But personally, I prefer to read series in order.
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Can I change my vote, pilotbot?
If so, I'll third Mistress of the Art of Death.
d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 08-29-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #37
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Can I change my vote, pilotbot?
If so, I'll third Mistress of the Art of Death.
d
You can nominate and vote for any books you want, as far as I know, during nomination. It's the actual voting thread you can only vote once
Old 08-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #38
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I totally missed that discussion thread! But we have had a lot more voters in the past few months. This is a tough category this month though.
Tough? There should be lots of choice. I tend to read quite a variety of crime fiction/mystery. Historical, psychological, classic, modern...
Lots of people like mystery/crime fiction. However, I've been quite satisfied with the two nominations so far, so why should I nominate more? The low number of nominations might just mean that people are fine with the options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
1) Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (available at Fictionwise). Loved it. This was basically 'CSI set in 12th century Cambridge.' The main character is a female doctor who is essentially a coroner. ...
I'll third this, as I have it, but haven't gotten round to read it yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #39
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

So what are we reading?

The Mistress of the Art of Death seems to have received a fair number of votes.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
The Mistress of the Art of Death seems to have received a fair number of votes.
This is just the nomination thread, where we pick which books to vote on. Next comes the actual voting. So if you've got something in mind, speak up!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #41
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I thought the nomination period had ended?

If it's still open, I'd like to nominate Dorothy Sayers's "Murder Must Advertise." It's hilarious and the mystery is intricate.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #42
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I thought the nomination period had ended?

If it's still open, I'd like to nominate Dorothy Sayers's "Murder Must Advertise." It's hilarious and the mystery is intricate.
And if it's still open, I'll second that.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #43
hike_gc
Zealot

Sounds good!

Quote:
And if it's still open, I'll second that.
Dorothy Sayers sounds good too!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #44
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
It will be a tough choice this month. I've almost lost track of the several I am going to read win or lose!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You can nominate and vote for any books you want, as far as I know, during nomination. It's the actual voting thread you can only vote once
Actually, each person gets 3 nominations. The idea was to try to limit the number of books nominated. But, that certainly hasn't been a problem this month. So, I am counting all nominations.

BOb
Closed Thread