Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Ebay + Warranty

Well regardless I already made my purchase on the prs-700 off ebay from an authorized reseller, so I have one year's warrant in case I have problems with dust bunnies.

I was just wondering how warranty generally works for ebay purchased items or say you got it as a gift and you did not get a receipt with the item. How would the warranty work then? Usually when you purchase the item in a store, the bar code is scanned and warranty starts right? However, if your purchasing it from a random ebay seller or a small reseller (maybe not authorized), how does the warranty work exactly? Does the sony reader register the first time you plug it into a computer, etc?

Thanks, excited for the item.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Well, I am not really sure, but from what I gather as long as you have this warranty IN the box with your reader, you should be fine. Maybe I am mistaken.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
ooo
Enthusiast

Well what I always wondered was this, even if you have that piece of paper it doesn't specify when you purchased the item. I don't get how warranty works when you give someone a brand new device as a gift, but you don't give them a receipt (That's sort of like ebay).
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
I once asked a ebay seller and what he told me was Sony does not provide warranty for products sold on ebay.

p.s. it was a PRS-505
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
ooo
Enthusiast

Well, I would imagine, purchasing from ebay would be the same as receiving the item as a gift without a receipt. When it comes to warranty if you don't have a receipt your out of luck and ebay doesn't classify as a receipt. I purchased mine on ebay recently, but they are an authorized reseller / they have a physical store where I live, so warranty is valid there.

Okay, let's just throw ebay out of the equation and say you got the item as a gift from a friend and there's no receipt. How would warranty work then? Your saying if you get it as a gift you don't get warranty because it's nontransferable?
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Not all eBay items are sold the same way. Some online stores and brick-and-mortar stores sell on eBay too. For example, I bought my PRS-700 on eBay from DataVision. DataVision is an authorised Sony seller and when they mailed me my package, it came with a receipt. Sony doesn't know I bought it on eBay. It doesn't matter to them.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote