Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Books on history

I'm looking for some recommendations for general books on history; world history in particular. I'm up to my ears in fiction and need a break. Any ideas?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I'm looking for some recommendations for general books on history; world history in particular. I'm up to my ears in fiction and need a break. Any ideas?
The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul M. Kennedy is a dense, but mind-opening read. You'll never fall for propaganda again. It's also the book of choice on the subject for lots of famous politicians. It has certainly changed the way I think about conflict.

The Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham. Another dense one, but with a different effect on the mind. Basically, even if you're an atheist, you'll find yourself constantly muttering, "My God! They did what?"

Berlin: The Downfall by Anthony Beevor. Towards the end of WW2, the average age of recruits in the German army had fallen so far, that they were handing out more sweets in the ration packs than cigarettes. Heroic, horrific, heart-breaking and mind-blowing. It's all here, death and more death.

Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. This is an easy read, tracing the attempts of mathematicians through the ages who tried to resolve a particular conundrum. I am far from being a filthy math-lover, but after reading this, I can almost understand why they engage in such practices

There are plenty of lighter books available, but for some reason I haven't read many of them yet. This is not snobbery, it's just the way it's worked out.

My next target is Tom Holland's Millennium.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd like to read Scramble for Africa. Maybe after I finish the remaining 3,000 pages of World Without End. BTW, if you are interested in medieval life, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are fascinating (but long) looks at how life revolved around the churches back then. It's fiction, but heavy on cathedral building facts.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I recommend these:
B. H. Liddel Hart - Strategy - strategy through the ages
B. H. Liddel Hart - The History of the Second World War (best book on WW2)
Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - this deals with the whole of history

Current geopolitics / 20th century:
Pepe Escobar - Globalistan (free ebook on the net)
John Perkins - The Secret History of the American Empire
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I'm still looking for a good, comprehensive book on world history ; I don't even know if it would be possible in one book.

Here are my two of my favorites :

Europe : an history by Norman Davies.
http://www.amazon.com/Europe-History.../dp/0060974680
Treats Europe as a whole, from prehistory to modern times. The author do not only focus on the major European power but cover also Eastern Europe and the nations that today have vanished. Very well written, read as a novel.

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson
http://www.amazon.com/History-Americ...gy_cc_b_text_a
An history of the USA. Very smooth reading here as well.

Last edited by Faenad; 01-21-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester is AWESOME! It is about the formation of the Oxford English dictionary and the murderer/crazy guy who helped them out.

I don't know anyone who hasn't read this book and not loved it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I'm still looking for a good, comprehensive book on world history ; I don't even know if it would be possible in one book.
That simply isn't possible. A comprehensive book on world history would be about the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, all. That certainly gives me a lot to start with. Curiously enough, I was thinking about Simon Winchester's 'The Man Who Loved China', of interest to me since I'm currently based in Taipei (and it also helps that Fictionwise sell it). All these books sound seriously interesting - I might have read one of Beevor's other books, but a long time ago.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
David McCullough's books are all pretty much very readable and anjoyable. Path Between the Seas, Truman, and John Adams are three that I have read.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I jumped away from fiction into history for awhile too and half my reading wasn't in ebooks but I took a look and found 3 in ebook that I read and would recommend. The historical fiction The Coffee Traders by David Liss lead me to an actual history of coffee (not in ebook) which was a neat read about 300 years, and then I decided to follow that thread and I read these 2 which are ebook available.

Salt: A World History

Spice: The History of a Temptation

Then I read a great ebook about G. Washington "His Excellency: George Washington" by Joseph Ellis. Explained a lot about why all those guys - Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, all thought Washington was the best of them. A fine read. A couple of Ellis's other books have won major awards, I expect this one will to.

Hope that helps.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thank you, all. That certainly gives me a lot to start with. Curiously enough, I was thinking about Simon Winchester's 'The Man Who Loved China', of interest to me since I'm currently based in Taipei (and it also helps that Fictionwise sell it). All these books sound seriously interesting - I might have read one of Beevor's other books, but a long time ago.
I have read several of his books and liked them, but I haven't read that one.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have read several of his books and liked them, but I haven't read that one.
I noticed earlier while browsing that The Man Who Loved China is also known as Bomb, Book and Compass - that might be the UK title, I think.

Has anyone read Peter Ackroyd's 'biography' of London?

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 01-22-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I noticed earlier while browsing that The Man Who Loved China is also known as Bomb, Book and Compass - that might be the UK title, I think.

Has anyone read Peter Ackroyd's 'biography' of London?
No, but it's on my list. You should read it and tell me how it is
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't know anyone who hasn't read this book and not loved it.
I think my brain just blew a gasket.

Too many nots, or not? I'm not sure.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
For an different perspective on world history check out "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Certainly can't be taken as fact (what history can?) but many of the arguments are pursuasive and it ranges widely.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote