Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Ebook readers in the UK?

Hi all,

Been watching the site for a while, decided to sign up and start posting!

Am looking for an ebook reader, live in the UK, and am having trouble finding one. I've thought about waiting for the release of the new Sony device, but £200 seems rather steep.

Other than eBay, is there anywhere I could find a second hand device in the UK? Am looking in te 6" device area, such as the STAReBOOK or PRS-500.

Cost being the major factor here, I was hoping to pick up a device for around the £100 mark.

, Simon
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand PRS-500 on eBay for under £100. That's my only suggestion, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Though once you compare the 500 to the 505, you won't want a 500 and will want a 505 instead (IMHO). You could post a message in the flea market saying you are looking for a second hand 505 and see if anyone is selling.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eInk devices aren't the only choice, of course. If money is tight, you could always pick up a cheap 2nd hand Pocket PC or Palm device, and use that to read on using, say, MobiPocket Reader, as an interim measure. You'd then be able to preserve your investment in books provided that you subsequently bought an eInk device which also supported MobiPocket.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I had looked at the differences between the 500 and 505, and couldn't decide if it was worth double the cost for a 505.

I had lookked into the STAReBOOK, but am worried about having to convert all my files first. Had a look in the subforum for the STK-101 but couldn't find anything concrete.

Ebay seems to vary, 500's are quite expensive, £120 delivered from USA with 3 days left! Suppose I'll just have to keep an ye out on ebay.

Thanks, Simon
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
simon, you might want to take a look at the "see a device in a café near you" thread ; i know we have quite a lot of members in the UK, depending on where you live you might be able to find a kind soul who is willing to meet you and give you a demo of their 500 (and maybe even a 505). i know there are quite a few sony's in the UK, and i know a lot of people are really happy with their 500's and see no reason to upgrade for the moment.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I may be selling my 500 soon if there's any interest (putting money towards a 505)
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Zelda, thanks for that.
I had seen the thread, might have to try and get something sorted on there.
simond have PM'd you too.

I'm still looking at different ebook readers, so far the older Sony readers seem like a good buy, but I may have to come to the conclusion that I just don't want to pay £200 for an ebook reader!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:30 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmandegge View Post
I'm still looking at different ebook readers, so far the older Sony readers seem like a good buy, but I may have to come to the conclusion that I just don't want to pay £200 for an ebook reader!
How much would you pay for a TV? I don't know about you, but personally I read a LOT more than I watch TV!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
madmandegge
Enthusiast

Well my current 32" cost me near 200, so an ebook reader for the same price is a bit

I'm more frustrated by the fact that it's not an expensive technology to manufacture, yet a lot of them are still through the roof!
The price difference betwee America and the UK is of course present too

Just strikes me as a lot of money
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's the eInk screen that's the expensive item. LCD screens are, of course, much cheaper, but then you have very limited battery life, difficulty in reading in bright light, etc.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Its a pity ereaders havent really taken off in the uk. Same with the pda market; over the last couple of years seems to really go downhill. If you have a relative in the US you can wire them £150-£160 depending on the exchange rate for a brand new 505, they can then post it to you opened up inside another parcel and it should go through customs under the radar. Main cons are warranty, if you have to return item, sony book store us only etc
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Pixmania in UK sells Cybook.

BEWARE!!!:
$1 = 1£

Now, you may click.
You have been warned.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1246...k-reading.html
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
Its a pity ereaders havent really taken off in the uk. Same with the pda market; over the last couple of years seems to really go downhill.
Not taken off?

Given there is all of 1 available on the highstreet and most expensive one out there. Did you really expect it to "take off"...

I would suggest not writing off the market until there is some actual competition...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote