Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #31
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I was quite surprised at how well the Dickens biography did--particularly coming after a quite long novel (which I am still reading with great enjoyment).

However, I will go with my first choice as I am a lover of all that is Jane Austen.

Unfortunately the Nabakov book is just too pricey for me and not easily available. If it wins, I'll certainly put it on my TBR list and eventually give it a try. Though I may not participate since I am not reading it, I will certainly follow the discussion with interest as club members always have interesting insights.

I give two votes for the Austen-Leigh Memoir.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 09-09-2016 at 09:28 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will give 2 votes to Austen-Leigh.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A little under an hour left with a close vote.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Voting is complete and the winner is A Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward Austen-Leigh. I'll have the discussion thread up within a day or so.

I'll probably go with the Oxford edition fantasyfan suggested, but as with last month it's hard to look around on Amazon so if any of you see any other good editions please let me know.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #35
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Voting is complete and the winner is A Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward Austen-Leigh. I'll have the discussion thread up within a day or so.

I'll probably go with the Oxford edition fantasyfan suggested, but as with last month it's hard to look around on Amazon so if any of you see any other good editions please let me know.
Here are some: The first two both cost only £1.03

JANE AUSTEN'S JUVENILIA & EARLY WORKS (Cambridge World Classics) Includes Love and Freindship / Love and Friendship | Beautifull Cassandra | History of ... (Complete Works of Jane Austen Book 8) Kindle Edition

This includes the Memoir and very interesting early works

SANDITON and A MEMOIR OF JANE AUSTEN (Cambridge World Classics) Complete Novel by Jane Austen and Biography by James Edward Austen (Leigh) (Annotated) (Complete Works of Jane Austen Book 11) Kindle Edition

The Memoir here is included with her last unfinished novel.

A Memoir of Jane Austen: and Other Family Recollections (Oxford World's Classics) Kindle

This one costs nearly £6 and is probably not as good a buy as the Cambridge editions but does contain some excellent linked information.

The Delphi Complete Works of Jane Austen is another bargain price collection that includes The Memoir.

Mind you, I found the free Gutenberg edition fine. But the books above do offer
more. BTW I found that they are available on Amazon.com at equivalent prices in US$

Last edited by fantasyfan; 09-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks, fantasyfan! I'll look at all of those.

By the way, I thought it was interesting when I realised a few hours ago that all of the run-off subjects - Austen, Nabokov and Dickens - are previous author winners; we've read Bleak House, Mansfield Park and Lolita.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
On the iPad and ready to go.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

By the way, I thought it was interesting when I realised a few hours ago that all of the run-off subjects - Austen, Nabokov and Dickens - are previous author winners; we've read Bleak House, Mansfield Park and Lolita.
I think that is a cool observation!

I would also like to state that I enjoy the new method of nominations so that we have a wider variety of choices in the vote.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I decided to go with the Oxford version. I always like their editions. Mostly because I have a credit at Kobo from the agency pricing settlement that I need to use, and I also just got a Kobo Aura One so it will be a good book to be my first test case.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #40
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I decided to go with the Oxford version. I always like their editions. Mostly because I have a credit at Kobo from the agency pricing settlement that I need to use, and I also just got a Kobo Aura One so it will be a good book to be my first test case.
That volume does strike me as being a very useful biographical compendium of original sources.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #41
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:

Interesting!!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #42
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

After looking at them all, I'm going with the Oxford as well; I like its content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think that is a cool observation!

I would also like to state that I enjoy the new method of nominations so that we have a wider variety of choices in the vote.
Soon I'll post in the welcome thread asking if we should keep it going or not.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I hope we do. Like Bookworm_Girl, I really like the fact that it gives us a bigger selection because people can keep on nominating books up to cut-off time. The voting system works well too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #44
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
A great set of choices this round; I would have liked to read any of them (I had Speak, Memory and Tomlin's book on my TBR). I'm looking forward to the Jane Austen bio because I just recently read my first Austen - Pride and Prejudice .
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #45
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
After looking at them all, I'm going with the Oxford as well; I like its content.
I downloaded a sample and was so impressed that I've decided to use it too.