Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #46
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
This appears to take me to an update specifically for the PRS 500.
It's the last year one, actually.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #47
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacchi View Post
It's the last year one, actually.
nope, dated 24th July 2008;
Filename :
eBook Library Installer.exe v2.2.00.18100
Version :
Last Modified :
07/24/2008
Size :
11.71 MB
Download Now

What does this do?
This utility updates eBook Library or the CONNECT™ Reader software to eBook Library version 2.2.00.18100 software, and provides the following benefits:

Support for EPUB file format
Support for Adobe® Digital Editions 1.5 or later and Adobe DRM-protected content
Note: Requires installation of, and authorization with, Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 or later.
Enables text within PDF eBooks to be "reflowed". This will enlarge the text and improve the readability of text-based PDFs
Improvements to sync functionality
Enable to select a "file folder" and set it as a "Favorite" to sync
Enable to sync to external Memory Card
General fixes to improve stability and performance
Note: Any existing Library content and eBook store registration and functionality will be automatically migrated to eBook Library 2.2.00.18100.

Note: Transfer of EPUB and Adobe DRM-protected content to the PRS-500 are not supported.

What products and operating systems does this apply to?
Model: PRS-500
Operating System(s): Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium

See all applicable models and Operating Systems.
NOTE: This utility is only for use with the products identified above and sold in the United States, or Canada. Not all models are sold in all countries.

Important Notes
The software update process takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
General instructions for installing updates to the Reader by Sony are available in the Quick Start Guide and Help files.
Once the installation process is complete, any existing Library content and eBook store registration and functionality will be automatically migrated to eBook Library 2.2.00.18100.
During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.

Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #48
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Oh, ok, but that's the library software, not a firmware :P
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #49
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500

D'oh!
Note: Transfer of EPUB and Adobe DRM-protected content to the PRS-500 are not supported.

not enough tea this morning, obviously
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #50
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I got this response:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

We're really sorry, but we do not have information on the Adobe Digital Editions Installer update that supports industry-standard eBook formats, including PDF/A and EPUB for the PRS-500. We have no prior knowledge of new updates until they are released by our Marketing Department. We suggest that you bookmark the following webpage and check periodically for any future updates:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...l=PRS500&LOC=3

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6EH
William
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #51
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Here, here! I too have submitted my request that Sony continue to support their devices, especially considering it's not really that old and is definitely not defunct. There are actually two PRS-500's in this household. Here's to waiting...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #52
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
The support site for the email requires a USA address, I'm in the UK. Is there some direct email address? Wouldn't some petition with our email signatures be a better solution, I know Sony do listen to these forums and probably have more influence than anyone.

I really want a firmware upgrade for the PRS500, I bought 3 of them and don't want to have to buy 3 new ones because Sony can't be bothered to support older products. Without ePub support the PRS500 is going to become really obsolete. OK there is a limit as to how long a company should support a product but the PRS500 isn't that old.

Sony do have a bad habit of stopping supporting older products as soon as they release a new product, which happens far too frequently. Same thing happens with their MP3 players; NWZ-A808 is a classic case of Sony forcing you to buy a new product for a new product that was almost identical apart from the firmware.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm curious... since Sony derives no revenue, directly or indirectly from adding features to the PRS-500... how many of you would be willing to pay for an update to the 500 that would add the DE support and other feaures just added to the 505?

If you would pay, how much would you pay? Would you pay $19.99 for the update. Perhaps if Sony could at least break even putting this out there is more of a chance they will do it. That is assuming it is technically possible.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #54
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
ePub is nice. What I would really like is the ability to do collections on memory cards.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #55
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Interesting question PilotBob. Since I own a 505, I can't really answer your question, other than to note that I recently paid $10 for Apple's new firmware for my *brand new* iPod Touch. That didn't bother me, but then again, I did buy the Touch with the knowledge that if I wanted the newer features I'd have to pony up the $10. If I'd owned it for awhile, maybe I'd have been more upset.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #56
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious... since Sony derives no revenue, directly or indirectly from adding features to the PRS-500... how many of you would be willing to pay for an update to the 500 that would add the DE support and other feaures just added to the 505?

If you would pay, how much would you pay? Would you pay $19.99 for the update. Perhaps if Sony could at least break even putting this out there is more of a chance they will do it. That is assuming it is technically possible.
BOb
I'd pay $19.99 for the new firmware. I'd even pay $19.99 x 2, to be squeaky-clean-legal with the firmware for each of my family's two PRS-500s. But I probably wouldn't pay more than that.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #57
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:

BOb
I might be willing to pay to get the epub, etc. But, for me, I still believe they should provide an update (for FREE) that actually gives the 500 the full capabilities that were listed on the box and in the marketing materials.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #58
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:

If you would pay, how much would you pay? Would you pay $19.99 for the update.
BOb
Yep. I'm used to getting bug fixes for my GPS for free, but paying for new maps. This seems similar - paying for substantially new features.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #59
bobbarkerissatan
bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs500
Email sent as well.

Please don't leave the early adopters in the dark. Show some love for those that had faith in your product and bought Sony.
bobbarkerissatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #60
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
I just filled in my form too. I would be willing to pay for the firmware upgrade, but I think Sony should reward the early adopters of their device. At the end of the day, a happy and enthusiastic group of us evangelizing their products is worth more than the $20 odd dollars they'd collect from us. Given the competition they're getting, making us unhappy would only push us towards buying the competitor's product in our next hardware upgrade (which given the average time we've owned the PRS-500, it's getting close).
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote