Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Aerich27
Aerich27 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
New Firmware Released

I just checked the Bookeen Blog site, and saw that they released the new firmware this morning. May 7th, 2008.
Aerich27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Aerich27

Their release notes:

What's New
Improvement: new button management (faster and buffered key detection).
Improvement: new event management (previous versions could miss events).
Improvement: reduced power consumption.
Improvement: Table support in Mobipocket files.
Bug fix: large covers in PRC files.
Bug fix: Asian characters are now displayed properly in PRC files.
Bug fix: PDF viewer memory management (to be continued).
Bug fix: TrueType font detection (“Fonts” directory).
Bug fix: various user interface items (to be continued).
Bug fix: detection of MP3 playback frequencies.
New: in the “Library”, a lock symbol is visible when a read-only SD card is inserted.

How to Download

Download the upgrade file by clicking on the "Download" button.
Extract the content of the downloaded zip file.
You should get a file “update_kernel”; this is the firmware upgrade utility.
Copy the file “update_kernel” to the root of an SD card.

How to Install

Make sure your Cybook has enough power to operate.
Switch off your device.
Insert the card into your Cybook.
Switch on your device.
When the boot image is visible (Cybook & Bookeen logotypes), press the “Enter” key and keep it pressed for a few seconds until the screen flashes.
When the screen flashes, you can depress the key; the upgrade process is launched.
Only the needed sections are updated. The upgrade should complete after a couple of minutes.
When the upgrade is completed, the Cybook starts normally.
Delete the file “update_kernel” from the SD card and from your computer. This file will not be useful anymore.
Congratulations! Your Cybook has been upgraded with software version 1.1.

What's Next

New directory view.
Improved Mobipocket, PDF, HTML & TXT support.
New user interface features.
User interface translations.
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Aerich27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerich27 View Post
Their release notes:

What's New
Improvement: new button management (faster and buffered key detection).
Improvement: new event management (previous versions could miss events).
Improvement: reduced power consumption.
Improvement: Table support in Mobipocket files.
Bug fix: large covers in PRC files.
Bug fix: Asian characters are now displayed properly in PRC files.
Bug fix: PDF viewer memory management (to be continued).
Bug fix: TrueType font detection (“Fonts” directory).
Bug fix: various user interface items (to be continued).
Bug fix: detection of MP3 playback frequencies.
New: in the “Library”, a lock symbol is visible when a read-only SD card is inserted.

How to Download

Download the upgrade file by clicking on the "Download" button.
Extract the content of the downloaded zip file.
You should get a file “update_kernel”; this is the firmware upgrade utility.
Copy the file “update_kernel” to the root of an SD card.

How to Install

Make sure your Cybook has enough power to operate.
Switch off your device.
Insert the card into your Cybook.
Switch on your device.
When the boot image is visible (Cybook & Bookeen logotypes), press the “Enter” key and keep it pressed for a few seconds until the screen flashes.
When the screen flashes, you can depress the key; the upgrade process is launched.
Only the needed sections are updated. The upgrade should complete after a couple of minutes.
When the upgrade is completed, the Cybook starts normally.
Delete the file “update_kernel” from the SD card and from your computer. This file will not be useful anymore.
Congratulations! Your Cybook has been upgraded with software version 1.1.

What's Next

New directory view.
Improved Mobipocket, PDF, HTML & TXT support.
New user interface features.
User interface translations.
__________________________________________________ _

Very dissapointing, the main item I was looking for, a new libray views is not included in this release.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cybook Gen3 Firmware Upgrade
Version 1.1 (Build 685)

The first Cybook Gen3 firmware upgrade is now available.

What's New
  • Improvement: new button management (faster and buffered key detection).
  • Improvement: new event management (previous versions could miss events).
  • Improvement: reduced power consumption.
  • Improvement: Table support in Mobipocket files.
  • Bug fix: large covers in PRC files.
  • Bug fix: Asian characters are now displayed properly in PRC files.
  • Bug fix: PDF viewer memory management (to be continued).
  • Bug fix: TrueType font detection (“Fonts” directory).
  • Bug fix: various user interface items (to be continued).
  • Bug fix: detection of MP3 playback frequencies.
  • New: in the “Library”, a lock symbol is visible when a read-only SD card is inserted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cybook Gen3 Firmware Upgrade
Version 1.1 (Build 685)

The first Cybook Gen3 firmware upgrade is now available.

What's New
  • Improvement: new button management (faster and buffered key detection).
  • Improvement: new event management (previous versions could miss events).
  • Improvement: reduced power consumption.
  • Improvement: Table support in Mobipocket files.
  • Bug fix: large covers in PRC files.
  • Bug fix: Asian characters are now displayed properly in PRC files.
  • Bug fix: PDF viewer memory management (to be continued).
  • Bug fix: TrueType font detection (“Fonts” directory).
  • Bug fix: various user interface items (to be continued).
  • Bug fix: detection of MP3 playback frequencies.
  • New: in the “Library”, a lock symbol is visible when a read-only SD card is inserted.
everybody else is posting the list of features, i thought i would too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
....so has anyone been brave enough to try the upgrade?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
I guess I am a bit chicken.... I am going to wait a little bit until my gurus.. (delphi96 and HarryT) tell me that it is safe...

Regards

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

I take it that page numbers aren't one of the things included... *disappointed*
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It does make me wonder who they have developing this thing. This is not that awe inspiring a list of features considering that it is six months after the initial release.

I was really hoping for some more tangible improvements in user interface. Although if it fixes the periodic lost place in a book, maybe it will be ok.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Anyone counting the new threads? I think we'll end up having somewhere between 7 and 15 of them...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
OK,

I took the plunge and installed the new firmware. Obviously, I have only used it for a few minutes now, so I can't really say much about it.

However, I can report that I successfully installed it. Also, once it was installed I had no problem returning to the book I was currently reading -- at the correct place in that book.

It's hard to see what is different. The menu's and layout look the same, but I guess I could be overlooking something.

I have seen one positive feature. If you hold down the next page button, it will continue to 'turn' pages. This certainly makes it faster when you need to move forward a couple of pages. It turns fast enough that you really can't skim the pages as it turns. So it works if you know you need to move ahead by a specific number of pages, but its not quite perfect if you aren't sure how many pages you need to turn.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
I guess I am a bit chicken.... I am going to wait a little bit until my gurus.. (delphi96 and HarryT) tell me that it is safe...

Regards

Georges
I'm running the update even as I write this. It's apparently about 40% - no 55% - done. Shouldn't be too long...

Oh darn. I forgot it goes through the progress bar several times... Still waiting...

Okay, it's switched to the small-logo with three dots screen...

Waiting...

And Library is up!

Okay. Contextual Menu (when in Library mode) still shows the choice of 5, 10 and 20 titles per page. It still shows Sort, Filter and Show File Formats. And it's got Advanced.

Under Sort, I get, "Sort By: Title, File Size, File Date, File Name and File Path." No major changes there.

Under "Filter" I still get the choices of: "Hide eBooks, Hide Images, Hide Music and Show All(default)." Again, no surprises there.

When I select "Show File Formats" it toggles between showing the file extension and not. Still no changes.

Under "Advanced" the menu choices are the same. Under "Advanced|Languages..." I get: the choices of "English" and "Francais". Under "Advanced|About", the About dialog box is the same except for the various copyright lines and the Boo Reader version line.

So far, I've not seen any improvements.

When I get into an ebook, I must say that my first desire was to see if any changes had been made in the "Layout" menu. So I went there. Or rather, I tried. It took me three attempts. (I first thought I was being fumble-fingered in my navigation control usage back at the Library, but I'm finding out it's the update.) The first two attempts I accidentally brushed the central button, causing me to accidentally "choose" the wrong option. Damn. This new update is seriously more "sensitive" to accidental touches. After having trained myself to press very firmly under the older firmware, I'm just too heavy-handed right now...

More later.

Derek

Oh yeah. I *did* get into the "Layout" menu. No new features. And as I don't use PDF, or for that matter MP3s, those changes are pretty much useless to me. Haven't seen the need for a "Locked SD" symbol for my SD card - but I guess it's something someone would have wanted.

Last edited by delphidb96; 05-07-2008 at 12:05 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've installed it. Things still look the same, but it does seem to be zippier.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Well... CRAP!

My built-in media card reader just crapped out!!! I mean, it was like, working fine to move the update_kernel to the SD card and when I went to remove the SD card from the Cybook and return it to the card reader, the SD card didn't get recognized. So I pulled my CF card from my dSLR and tried it. That wasn't recognized either - not even a flicker of the green LED when I inserted either of those or of one of my spare SD cards. DOA!

Crap!

Oh, f***ing wait! I've been letting Micro-cowpattie do a "security update" in the background while doing all this!!! F**K! F**K! F**K! I loathe Micro-crap!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Support for tables in MP books is excellent news. That will allow those of us who create books to do some much nicer things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote