Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Please explain "pages per dollar of price". You decide what to read next according to how much you've paid per page ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, he does . I guess we all have our own priorities!
The way I understand, he does not just read anything. But the books on his TBR list are in the spreadsheet - each of them is interesting to read (to him) . And the order he will go through that list depends on the price. If there is a really good deal on one of them books, then that is what is next to read / buy. Good deal means cheapest price per page - thus cheapest price per hour entertained. It is actually pretty clever and economic if your TBR list has no other priorities.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The way I understand, he does not just read anything. But the books on his TBR list are in the spreadsheet - each of them is interesting to read (to him) . And the order he will go through that list depends on the price. If there is a really good deal on one of them books, then that is what is next to read / buy. Good deal means cheapest price per page - thus cheapest price per hour entertained. It is actually pretty clever and economic if your TBR list has no other priorities.
Biographies greater than 600 (paper) pages long, I think it was. Hence, an 800 page biography of someone is better than a 600 page biography at the same price. Hey, whatever floats your boat - it's probably as good a way of choosing books as many others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Treo 650
I shopped with my Kindle device only once, at an airport... but mostly I prefer to shop over my PC, it's simply easier (and faster indeed).
pazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I shop using the K3-3G fairly frequently (esp for freebies) as I am out of wireless range most weekends. I use it for email as well. Even looking up a recipe or weather forecast once in a while. Works fine, actually quite well.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have a k3 with 3G - I've only rarely used the 3G, but the few times I have, it's been great - My husband and I were in the car discussing a book he'd heard about, and in 2 minutes I'd purchased it from Amazon and was reading portions to him as we drove.

I'll be getting a paperwhite soon (I hope), and I really can't decide whether the extra $60 to get 3G on it would be worth while or not... as I said, i use it rarely, but when I need it, it's nice to have it there.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I use the PC. Select my genre, select 4 stars or up, and sort by either popularity or price.

If I sort by price, I can get all the freebies. I just download the books that have at least 4 stars, and 4 reviews or ratings.
If it has only 1 or 2 4-star ratings, I'll look at the title, if it interests me.

If I want to pay for a good book, and don't know what to read, I just sort it by 'new and user rating' or something.
Then I select the books with the most and highest rating (again I select 4 stars and up, and I download the books with more than, eg: 200 ratings).

I open all the selected books in different tabs. Sometimes opening 20 tabs a time.
Then I go by one after the other just buying them, and sending them to my PW.

The freebies I just download; but on the paid books I try to read the contents and some reviews before clicking 'buy now' or '1-click buy' or something.

Then I just access the wifi network with my kindle, and have plenty of works to choose from.

I do agree that it's a butt-load of work, trying to work your way through a few tens of thousands of books at a time.
But only downloading the high ratings, high starred reviews (and only the freebies), can save you lots of time.

Also, download from authors you like, download from recommendations you get from others that are into the same style as you helps too!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote