Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As We Grow Older, We Tend to Read Less.

Hi,

I was never an active member of any forums, and frankly I started off joining this forum to promote my writing. However, once I begin browsing through the threads, I start to want to participate, largely because I am still the same bookworm underneath.

Which brings me to the realization:

I'm sure it doesn't just apply to me. When I was a kid, or even as a teenager, reading fiction seemed to be my full-time job, and my schoolwork part-time. Now reading fiction has been delegated to the sidelines, so that I haven't read fiction in months. By now the only time I have for reading is right before bed, and I'm now stuck with a non-fiction book (Guns, Germs and Steel) that I'm determined to finish (gave up on it halfway through the first time I read it).

And it's a real shame, because fiction is a really important part of my life.

What about you? Do you feel the same too - now that you're a full-fledged adult and everything in life needs your attention, reading fiction has become increasingly difficult?
uebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
There are definitely more distractions now then when I was younger but if I find a book that totally catches my interest then I read at every opportunity until it is finished. Staying up later than I should to finish "just one more chapter" and resenting having to go to work because I would rather be reading.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Mi mother, who has just turned 81, wouldn't agree with you
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
Well, I would say that as we grow up, we have more and more things that *have* to be done before we can sit down with a good book.
As a lad I was able to read a book a day. I used to frequent 6 different libraries at the same time.
I expect that when I retire I will be able to get back to my reading habits from childhood. The situation *is* different than it was in my youth, though. Nowadays we have Internet and forums like this one (I could be reading a book instead of writing this post ;-)), we have a dozen Discovery (and National Geographic, Viasat explorer ...) channels available on our satelite receiver, instead of two black-and white watered-down TV channels of my youth ....
Quote:
... and I'm now stuck with a non-fiction book (Guns, Germs and Steel) that I'm determined to finish
Great book. Do try to finish it - well worth the read, if you like that kind of stuff.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I read as much as when I was 15, but, I tend to read more non-fiction then fiction, I was a 90percent fiction reader back in the day, but as I get older and as history and non-fiction writing have improved in general, I find a lot of non-fiction to be as bizarre, intriguing and interesting as fiction. That said, I still love fiction and the escape as well as the depth you can get from it.

Too bad many people tend to stop learning as they get older..... too much idiot box and not enough reading/learning new things....

Quote:
Hi,

I was never an active member of any forums, and frankly I started off joining this forum to promote my writing. However, once I begin browsing through the threads, I start to want to participate, largely because I am still the same bookworm underneath.

Which brings me to the realization:

I'm sure it doesn't just apply to me. When I was a kid, or even as a teenager, reading fiction seemed to be my full-time job, and my schoolwork part-time. Now reading fiction has been delegated to the sidelines, so that I haven't read fiction in months. By now the only time I have for reading is right before bed, and I'm now stuck with a non-fiction book (Guns, Germs and Steel) that I'm determined to finish (gave up on it halfway through the first time I read it).

And it's a real shame, because fiction is a really important part of my life.

What about you? Do you feel the same too - now that you're a full-fledged adult and everything in life needs your attention, reading fiction has become increasingly difficult?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
I'm sorry, but I missed everything after the first two sentences. What's going on here?
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I don't know, not enough pictures in this thread...
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
When life is too busy....

When young I also read fiction a lot. Sometimes staying up most of the night and then still going to school. Then marriage/family happened and I became too busy. I was lucky to squeeze in half an hour of reading. Now with the family grown and myself retired, I seldom watch TV. I read for enjoyment. If I don't like the book I quit reading it! Life is too short.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Great book. Do try to finish it - well worth the read, if you like that kind of stuff.
Yes, I am aware it is a good book. And I do enjoy it though, but sometimes I can't focus enough before sleep to really grasp the essence of the book. *Sigh*

Thanks for the advice/motivation though.
uebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have to disagree with the OP. I am reading more than ever these days (approaching 60). Probably getting through 2 books every week (as well as writing my own).
I'm sure I read less for a few years whilst bringing up my son, but other than that I've been a pretty constant reader.
AncientGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Once you hit 65 you'll find you have more time to read...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I have been reading more and more after leaving school years ago. I read more because now I can choose to read what I want to read, not because the school curriculum requires me to do so.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
When younger, I read, and I watched TV. Now I somehow don't have the patience for TV.

Once in a while my wife and I go to the movies. Since I don't want to walk out after paying (not to mention the company), I'll sit through them. If rottentomatoes.com gives it 95 percent or so, it's probably OK. Last week we went to an almost empty theater to see a movie that a mere 84 percent of critics liked, and we both found it horrible. When it was too late, I read Rex Reed's review, and he said that, despite all the other positive reviews, the plot made no sense, and, at film festivals, people were walking out.

The King's Speech (tomatometer 94 percent) was good, but I like books

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I read constantly in my teens and 20s. My reading declined in my 30s due largely to my workload and schedule. It bottomed out in my 40s and 50s when I was a stay-at-home dad, and very busy with kids, homework, after school activities, etc.

But my son left for college last year and my reading picked up a bit; my daughter left for college a couple of months ago and my reading really picked up. Now that I've made the transition from stay-at-home dad to merely unemployed I finally have time to read all those books I put off -- and then some!

Maybe, if your reading has declined as you've aged, you just haven't lived long enough yet.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I grew up an only child with lots of time for reading. Then I grew up and married a man who was not a reader. While I made sure to continue to make time to read, because I was busy setting up my own house and discovering new hobbies and interests, I was reading fewer books.

However, I'm still getting older and I'm definitely reading more fiction now, compared to when I married and set up my own house. As my kids get older and we buy them books, I find that I'm reading even more just to keep up with not only my intestests but also with their interests so that I can get ideas for what books to get them next.

I think it is less that reading declines as we get older and more that it is cyclical, depending on where we are in our lives and what is currently most important to us at that time.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote