Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
specialvintage
specialvintage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre appears to freeze on large upload to Kindle

I am using mac osx 10.5.8.
I have the latest version of Calibre and think it is the best thing since sliced bread thank you!!
However if you try to upload a large collection ( more than 50 books at a time to Kindle it appears to freeze during the process, however I think it finally resolves itself after a minute or two and then works fine. I would change the spinning job wheel to indicate some activity during this processing time rather than nothing - which misleads us into thinking nothing is happening?
Thanks again for an amazing program!
specialvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Big Calibre transfer jobs can get quite intensive . I frequently see 'Not Responding' on XP. That's probably because it is just too busy to get back to the GUI to keep the message away.
As long as the Task/process managers report Calibre CPU (or I/O) usage, just wait it out. (Keeping a GUI churning wastes CPU cycles on low power systems or sucks up extra Battery power on laptops)

There are tips for Windows users to reduce Anti-Virus scanning of (book) files. MAC's may have a similar setting.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
specialvintage
specialvintage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yes I think you are right - its just that the kindle has little processing power I think and gets overwhelmed
Patience seems to be the solution! It finally gets there and Ive changed to uploading say 20 - 50 max books at a time which works fine
Calibre is such a good program once you learn its intricacies - quite complicated with personalized columns and collections but worth the effort.
Special
specialvintage is offline   Reply With Quote