Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
cassull
cassull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-T1 or Nook Simple for root?

Hello, I've recently decided to buy my first ereader. So far, I've narrowed it down to either the Sony PRS-T1 or the Nook Simple Touch because both can be rooted easily and I can install Market apps that can expand on what they can already do (different pdf viewers, web browser for the nook, etc.).

What I plan on using my ereader for would be browsing and reading fanfiction, occasionally reading a pdf (for college textbooks and the like), and reading regular ebooks and/or manga. I know the Sony supports audio, but I don't really care about that since I plan on using my ereader at work and wifi tethering it from my phone and I can just as easily use my phone for music.

I also don't care about what libraries are available to me, such as the Barnes and Noble store or the amazon store; I don't intend on buying ebooks.

So far, I am leaning towards the Sony since the browser is much smoother than the one on the Nook and seems to deal with pdfs better.

My roommate is pushing me towards a nook, however, since he has one and he says it's VERY difficult to brick a Nook as you can take an image of it, put it on an mini SD card and recover from that. Also, android and market apps seem to render much better on the Nook than the Sony. He is also very leery of Sony given how Sony can be kind of sleazy about DRM and locking things down (PS3 debacle over other OS, putting spyware on music CDs, etc).

So, I suppose my question is, what would you guys recommend? How is Sony in regards to their ereaders? I briefly considered a Kindle until I heard about amazon deleting books right off your Kindle library and that REALLY turned me off. Is Sony equally sleazy like that? And is it as easy to recover from bricks on the Sony as it is on the Nook?
cassull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I'll give you my recommendation, but its a bit different than your choices.

First, I personally own the Nook STR, the Sony PRS-T1, and the Nook Color. The Nook STR and Sony both make great e-ink readers. I prefer then Sony over the Nook, but its a personal preference. Neither are rooted, as I like the way they work just fine.

The Nook Color started as reader for my wife, but I first rooted it, then I overwrote its entire OS with CM7. It now functions as a great android general purpose tablet. My suggestion is to go this route. It would cost you close to $100 more, but for that money you get great functionality as a tablet, and color screen. I think you will enjoy the color screen for your mangas (they do come in color, don't they?) and you can take your pick of a number of PDF viewers that work very well on it. Also, web browsing is great on the Nook CM7 tablet.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
cassull
cassull began at the beginning.

Device: none
I actually already have a tablet and I want an ereader with e-ink for the battery life, contrast and weight.
cassull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The Sony isn't perfect but seems to recover just fine.
More support from users via the mobile read forums if you do have a problem.

I am sure the Nook is lovely too but I don't have one.

I would say go with the one that seems most intuitive for you or if that is hard to tell get the cheaper one. You do have a few days to return it. Myself I love the Sonys.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassull View Post
I actually already have a tablet and I want an ereader with e-ink for the battery life, contrast and weight.
Those are good reasons. The Nook Color is definitely fairly heavey, and battery life does not compare against an e-ink reader. The Sony is lighter than the Nook STR, but I believe they are about equal on battery life. I think the Nook STR may have an edge on contrast. I'd search our forums here on issues with rooting with either.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert