Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
New review of the Reader (PRS-505)

Normally it wouldn't catch my attention, but this is Ars Technica, one of the sites that I respect most when it comes to technology.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...der-review.ars

They cite as major negatives the refresh flash, the delay between pages (two seconds, really? It seems much shorter even on my PRS-500), and the price of official content.

Summary quote:

"Despite some quirks, the new Reader is a beautiful device that excels at what it was designed to do: display e-books. It's also a reminder that Sony can still develop some incredibly slick hardware in slim packages. At $300 a pop, though, it's fair to ask how many people are going to buy it."
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
They cite as major negatives the refresh flash, the delay between pages (two seconds, really? It seems much shorter even on my PRS-500), and the price of official content.
Perhaps they mean the delay on menu pages. I've seen even longer delays than that on the menus (10+ seconds is my record). I agree that the normal page turning speed is acceptable.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There's more discussion on this review here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16078
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote