Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #31
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Is there someone who can tell me something about the display difference between PB90x and iRiver Story (attention, not iRiver Story HD witch has pearl) ? I mean which of them has darker fonts, whitest backgroud, better contrast overall ...
iRiver Story is the only reader with vizplex display I ever seen.

Last edited by adrhc; 09-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm not sure if this has changed in recent firmware versions, but at least with 2.0.4, AdobeViewer does not recognize any fonts added to the system afterwards. The other viewing applications don't have this problem, though.

I have to say that PocketBook did a very good job making their devices customizable by us users without having to get root privileges. There is no need for the equivalent of Duokan or PRS+ because the system is already set up to allow the addition of new fonts, applications, dictionaries, software keyboard layouts,... There is even an SDK to allow the development of arbitrary applications by users. I am very pleased with this aspect of my PB reader.
Oh yes, there is a problem with Adobe (though I use the hacked version on my 360), but not with the other readers, as you say - I should have pointed this out, thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #33
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

@rkomar

Please try this:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...than-skin-deep
it's simply incredible how it boost the contrast !
Of course I'm waiting for you comment on the result .

PS: as a matter of fact any with white device would be interested in trying the link
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #34
adrhc
Connoisseur

I just viewed a Sony PRS 505: it's really good when talking about contrast . If PB90x is as good as 505 (when talking only about contrast) I would by it next second .

Now, would really help if I'd have more opinions on the difference of contrast between these two but only when viewing a NON-reflowed PDF.

When they are reflowed the font is changing (toward better contrast) but the formatting is lost which is not acceptable for me so I'll read with no reflow.

@rkomar & any interested in viewing technical documents PDF
The picture you created with PB90x (05_OReilly_landscape.png) contains at left margin the logo "Pocketbook Pro" (Pro - I imagine is black like the black font in a fresh printed book - am I right ?). If I compare how black is the text "Head" and the logo Pro" ([COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"] it seems to me that the text "Head" is almost black. Is my notice correct ?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #35
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I honestly think my 902 and 505 have nearly identical screens in terms of contrast and background colour. The PDF text on the Sony is a little bit easier to read because they somehow render the characters with a slightly thicker strokes (i.e. make them bolder), and not because the display is better. To help with the comparison, I put up an image of the Sony displaying the same Latex document. You can download it from: http://www3.telus.net/rkomar/06_505_Latex_landscape.png. Compare that image with 02_Latex_portrait.png. You can see that the antialiasing effects are greater on the PB 902, making the text look slightly fainter.

You're right that the word "pro" on the device label is black paint. The word "Head" in the source code text is not quite as dark as the black paint, but it's not far off. Still, I would not say it looks like fresh-printed text.

Last edited by rkomar; 09-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #36
adrhc
Connoisseur

Lightbulb PDF fonts (no reflow mode)

@rkomar

rkomar but the images are not very clear so I see no difference (may be my eyesight has something to do here too ).

@experts
Let's suppose I want to see a PDF (with text & images, tables, etc; I mean not a scanned book) with no reflow. What are the fonts the device will use ? Can I replace the default fonts in order to trick the device to use other than default ? may be a thicker one, like Sony do ?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #37
adrhc
Connoisseur

PDF, fonts, contrast

It seems that if you remove the embedded fonts within a PDF than the system fonts shall be used. Then the PDF viewer will be forced to search for necessary font or a replacer in the local file system (in the PB90x). Now here's the trick: to have a local font that is improved for the reader !

Here is explained why the windows fonts are not the best for an ebook reader:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/
Here is explained how a windows font can be optimized for an ebook reader:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../fontrendering

Someone smart enough might be able to extract then remove an embedded font from a PDF, then adapt it for PB90x and install it on PB90x, then could open the altered PDF to see how the rendering is improved .

That smart guy I'm sure that will be venerated here .
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #38
adrhc
Connoisseur

These 2 attached pdf are:
1) spring-framework-reference original.pdf
is a technical PDF with the necessary fonts embedded (in fact has embedded just a subset of any font -> this means you don't have to have the font to view the pdf but you have to have the font in order to edit the pdf)
2) spring-framework-reference no fonts.pdf
same pdf as 1. but with no fonts embedded (I removed the embedded font subset )

Pdf2 because has no embedded font will be seen with the PB90x local fonts (I expect to be better than those created for windows and embedded in pdf1) . I'm very curios how it's displayed page 51 (in fact in pdf it's written as page 25) - that one with the text Support for Servlet 3 MultipartResolver.

Please take a picture if you find any difference when showing page 51 for pdf1 then pdf2, .

PS: do not use the reflow mode !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spring-framework-reference no fonts.pdf (2.56 MB, 1236 views)
File Type: pdf spring-framework-reference original.pdf (3.30 MB, 1239 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post

Please take a picture if you find any difference when showing page 51 for pdf1 then pdf2.
I still can't because of the bad weather here. But the pages 51 of the different files LOOK very much the same to me. The least I can do is confiscate my wife's 903 to see both files at the same time in a different 903.
We 'll get back to you on that one... :-)

(And.... yes, I am very much interested in this matter, since this was the reason why I purchased my Pocketbook 903.)

Later....
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #40
adrhc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekvb View Post
I still can't because of the bad weather here. But the pages 51 of the different files LOOK very much the same to me. The least I can do is confiscate my wife's 903 to see both files at the same time in a different 903.
We 'll get back to you on that one... :-)

(And.... yes, I am very much interested in this matter, since this was the reason why I purchased my Pocketbook 903.)

Later....
Don't try to compare the pdfs using windows - they'll be the same because windows has any necessary font. Use PB90x to compare or any other reader but not windows .

PS: take a photo with any camera, for this situation it doesn't matter
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #41
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
adrhc, there are no differences to see between the two files when opening on a PB902. I can't send you a photo, but I've taken a screenshot (by the way, this is a nice feature of the Pocketbooks).

The third screenshot shows the same page in landscape mode, this mode normally gives the best presentation of a page (with the slight disadvantage that you have to scroll more and see only half of the page).
Attached Images
File Type: bmp nofont.bmp (487.6 KB, 254 views)
File Type: bmp withfont.bmp (487.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: bmp landscape.bmp (485.3 KB, 214 views)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #42
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Don't try to compare the pdfs using windows - they'll be the same because windows has any necessary font. Use PB90x to compare or any other reader but not windows .

PS: take a photo with any camera, for this situation it doesn't matter
Adrian,
I did not use Windows in comparing your pdfs. I used a PB903 to look at both of them, one after another. However, I saw no diff.
That's why I want to look at them side by side.

Last edited by jekvb; 09-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #43
dstb
dstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Yep, I looked to both files using Foxit Reader on Puppy Linux and... no difference.
dstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #44
adrhc
Connoisseur

Yeah, it seems I didn't succeeded to remove the fonts .